Grades not appearing in gradebook

Grades not appearing in gradebook

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 14
In Moodle 1.8.2 a weird phenomenon with the viewing of grades. The course in question has mostly Forums some of which have had posts rated. The teacher of the course reported that she couldn't view the grades in the gradebook, but when I log in as administrator I can view the grades fine. Doing a 'login as' to the teacher's account confirms the disappearance of the individual grades (see attached screenshot). Fiddling about with Preferences, weights etc has no effect. Now, when I return to the Administrator account I get the same behaviour -- no grades are visible. Logging out and back in again resets everything. This problem is repeatable but I've only seen it in this particular class.

Attachment grade_page_blank.png
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Grades not appearing in gradebook

by Brian Gall -
I have the exact same issue with a class I am teaching. I am on Moodle 1.8.2 and my students cannot see the grades.
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Matt Campbell -
Is this course using any stealth (also known as unseen) items? In other words, if you go into the course settings and increase the number of weeks/topics, do you see more items? Can the teacher then go to the gradebook and see those items?

This is just how the stock 1.8 gradebook works - this behavior is not seen in 1.9, or in Gradebook Plus (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=929). 1.9 isn't quite ready for production yet, but Gradebook Plus is quite reliable and you may want to consider moving to it if this is your issue and you need it resolved. The other alternative would be to have the teacher increase the weeks/topics when they need to see the gradebook, then drop it back down when they are done - usually stealth is used for navigation/aesthetics.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by John Wells -
Having finally found this thread, I must report that I am having the exact same problem as mentioned in the first post.

We are running moodle 1.8.2 on a Win2k3 server. Every other class that is using the gradebook has no problem. In this particular class the teacher has a blank gradebook. As admin I can see the grades until I login as her and then revert back to my account.

At that point I can no longer see any grades until I logout and log back in.

I've set her gradebook prefs/settings to match that of a working class gradebook, unhidden all hidden items, and made sure grouping is turned off. Nothing has worked so far. The only thing that appears different about her account is that she is in the Orphan group, as I imported her from a previous install.

Thinking that the orphan status may have some impact, I elevated a test user to the status of teacher within the course. The test user is able to see grades when I use the "login as," option.

Is there a way to remove the primary user from the orphan group to test that condition as a limiting factor?
In reply to John Wells

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Could someone please check and see if this issue with the gradebook is in the tracker and if not please add it. I've done some work on the GBPv2 and am pleased with its reliability; however, I also want to make sure that we get 1.8 core fixed up as well. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Mark Pearson

by A. T. Wyatt -
We have a slightly different problem, and it involves "graded events" with GBv2. The instructor can see the grades, the admin can see the grades, but the students all get the pink error box with "no grades returned". I think this has to do with permissions and the fact that graded events is an add on. I have not had time to run through my usual troubleshooting list. And GBv2 is to be superseded by the new gradebook in moodle 1.9, so I haven't been extremely motivated to see about fixing it. (It would be a huge effort for me, as a non-coder!) However, I add it to this discussion in case it provides any illumination for anyone!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
ATW - I was seeing this behavior and I applied this patch file to the /grade/lib.php file. I have not had a chance to do any thorough testing but I am using it on one production site and I am hoping to get some feedback soon so that I can commit it. It is related to CONTRIB-105 should you wish to read more about it. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thanks, I appreciate this! Will look into it.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
I committed the changes into CVS so if you get the latest GBPv2 code from CVS you should be able to resolve this for GBPv2. I will see if I have a chance to go back and look at Moodle 1.8 standard code and apply the patch to that code as well. It would help if someone could create an issue for this in the tracker (if one is not already there). Thanks - Anthony
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Mark Pearson -

SUSSED!

Definitely a bug which I shall file. It seems as though the display of grades was manking up when there were actual numbers to be seen. Other classes with ungraded activities displayed OK. Nothing I could do would change this : always the grades were not displaying for the Teacher.

Then I had a brain tsunami and I switched on Settings : Groups -- separate groups. Now when I go back and choose separate groups : students. Viola! There they are. Magnifique!

groups show up formerly invisible grades
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Nicolas Connault -
In your extreme exuberance, you managed to spell "magnifique" perfectly, but messed up the "voila" into a musical instrument! wink

Congratulations on finding the source of the bug! I look forward to your report.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Mark Pearson -
Spelling, especially french, was never my strong point smile
This is currently being discussed at Tracker MDL-12288

Apropos nothing, France was recently mooted to be the best host ever for the Rugby World Cup smile
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Anthony Borrow -
Just an FYI, I believe that MDL-12288 was a duplicate of MDL-12320 which was fixed for Moodle 1.8.4. Those who were experiencing this issue should upgrade to the latest version of 1.8+. If the issue still exists, please comment on one of the tracker issues and I will re-open it. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Mark Pearson -
I upgraded to the latest 1.8.3+ (2007021533) and I am happy to report that the upgrade fixed the problem. Jolly good show chaps smile