MOODLE_19_STABLE branch being created later today

MOODLE_19_STABLE branch being created later today

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've really held off branching MOODLE_19_STABLE for a long time in this cycle to make things as easy as possible on developers for as long as possible (and to help drive the stabilisation process as hard as possible). We also had a number of last-minute but major changes (such as performance improvements) during the beta period which is also unusual.

However, overall things are looking pretty good now, so I'm intending to create MOODLE_19_STABLE off HEAD in about 5 and half hours from now (5pm GMT+8) unless some really good reason comes up.

This will mean a 100% freeze on database changes in 1.9 so please let me know if there are any important ones still outstanding.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: MOODLE_19_STABLE branch being created later today

by Just H -
A huge thank you and congratulations to all developers and others that have been involved, much appreciated from us not so techy users smile

by Manish Verma -
Great! Moodle is the best CMS.

For my production site it is odd numbers since 1.5.

1.5.x ----> 1.7.x and now it should most likely be 1.9.

I started with 1.3.x and 1.4.x was an exception to the odd series.

Manish.

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Martin,
You had said that you wanted the Minted profile and enrolment plugin in 1.9, but despite good sounds from you and Moodle.com no-one got back to me in the end. Has a final decision be made on this?
Cheers,
Paolo
Ticket ID: RLJ-576372

In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yep, I really wanted to but it will just delay the release even further at this point, the 1.8 version of your plugin needs review and testing in HEAD ... and we have a very full plate for 1.9 already ...

by Joan Codina Filba -
Congratulations Martin, for the 1.9 and happy because this announcement is the first dayly diggest I get in two months!
One suggestion:
I know Moodle is used around the world and that every country and area has its own calendar, but looking at google trends -> it seems clear that august is a low activity period, and Christmas another one. I would suggest to try to adapt the releases to some time before this periods. Doing releases in July, and maybe end of November. In such a way that many institutions have the time enough to test, adapt, and put into production the new release before begining of the courses. As you can imagine the IT departments dislike changing releases with the courses ongoing so, in our case for example, we are late to install 1.9 and we will remain in 1.8 till next September.

In reply to Joan Codina Filba

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, that was the plan with 1.9, but the things that delayed it were more important than that deadline.

by Ryan Smith -
Is the stable branch available yet? I'm not seeing it listed on the EU CVS server.
In reply to Ryan Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Coming ... just clearing up some unmerged files first.

by Martin Dougiamas -
OK, finally done.

MOODLE_19_STABLE is here and working (with a MOODLE_19_MERGED floating tag to keep track of your merges back to HEAD). The version is Moodle 1.9 Beta 2.

HEAD is now labelled Moodle 2.0 dev with a PHP 5.2 requirement (oo, exciting!). A lot of stuff is queued up to go in there (including 'feedback' - sorry it's not in 1.9).

Both HEAD and MOODLE_19_STABLE currently have a version of 2007101000. Let's keep it that way as long as possible, so that anyone CVS upgrading to 2.0 dev by accident can easily switch to the branch without any version problems.

Moodle 1.8.3 and 1.7.3 releases tomorrow ... and then 1.9 sometime soon!

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moodle 1.8.3 and 1.7.3 releases tomorrow ... and then 1.9 sometime soon!

Then I'll need to hurry up with my fixes for MDL-11632 surprise

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Congratulations, Martin and everyone! Way to go! You guys are the best! smile

While I also share the excitement of this great news, let's try not to make the same mistake again that we had for Moodle 1.8.x. I'm really hoping that we (both the community and the Moodle HQ) could do a better QA job to find out all major issues (especially performance related issues for larger sites) and get them REALLY fixed before 1.9 really went gold. This is particularly important if we want to attract more larger universities (and larger institutions) to adopt Moodle as their CMS/LMS platform. For example, it's kind of embarrassing to find out from our faculty that the calendar has not been fully "working" since version 1.5.x (see MDL-10353, MDL-9059). There are also outstanding performance issues such as MDL-7416, MDL-8119 (and other issues associated with ROLES), and the new statistics is still not working well for large sites neither. Also the absolute reference to images issues (MDL-10882, MDL-8132, MDL-4520, MDL-7798), etc. That said, I have faith that Moodle will become a enterprise level of application in the near future! It's just my 2 cents that we might want to be more sensitive (for people who are running larger production sites with low budget and small development teams) when we really roll out a official release in the future. Thanks! smile
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Martin Dougiamas -
Some of those bugs you linked to have actually been fixed in 1.9, because of the general performance work (led largely by Martin Langhoff) which was precisely to help larger sites (and has delayed the release for another month or more).

The rest, well, I'm not personally in any hurry to release 1.9. Sometimes a release is what it takes to get people really testing the code. wink Yes, we need more people getting involved and helping us fix stuff!