1.8 update freeze on setting mdl_modinfo

1.8 update freeze on setting mdl_modinfo

by Petr Kalis -
Number of replies: 4
Tried update from 1.6.5 to 1.8.2 but got stuck on page with "forum module needs upgrading" and lot of Selects. Only thing i can see this page is doing is to updating mdl_course with setting mdl_info. There are no errors, or warning, only Continue button is missing. We have a lot of courses (500+), so maybe there is problem with not enought memory or so. Strangely same database on same hw setup went ok two weeks ago when i was trying test upgrade. (this time i have maybe little newer version of 1.8.2+, directly from cvs).
Does anyone have a clue how to pass this problem? I asked sysadmin for higher memory_limit, got 20MB. How much is recommended, no warning about little memory has been shown during installation..
I will look for possibility to bypass updating courses, which updating passed by correctly, but i am feeling akward by this kind of hacks.

SW: mysql 5.0.22, php 5.1.4

Any tips appreciated.
PK
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Petr Kalis

Re: 1.8 update freeze on setting mdl_modinfo

by Richard Enison -

PK,

20MB is waaay too low. 1.8 requires a minimum of 40MB memory_limit setting. According to http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle#Requirements, second third-level indented bullet item under Software, a large site like yours could require more than 128MB.

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Petr Kalis -
Hi
Memory limit wasnt a culprit in my case. I set wrong debug mode and it wasnt showing me something importantwide eyes
Result: Dont try to think reasonably 4 hours after midnight blush (without a lot of coffee big grin)
PK

In reply to Petr Kalis

by Peter Lipscomb -

Petr

I have similar problem. Could you explain what and where is debug mode, what was important and how you fixed it.

I set wrong debug mode and it wasnt showing me something important

Thanks

PL

In reply to Petr Kalis

by Andy Hawkins -
What did error log show you?

We have same error and have also been working long hours to sort an upgrade - even with coffee.

TIA