NWiki installation code 100% rebuilt... RFC

NWiki installation code 100% rebuilt... RFC

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 4
Hi there,
I've been some weeks silent, some of them on vacation in china (but this belongs to the past), but I'm back now. wink

The most important issue in NWiki reported to date is the installation/migration procedure. Jordi Piguillem has been working in rebuilding completely this process to achieve three things:
* to get rid of very old code (written for 1.6 installation/migration)
* to comply 100% with the XMLDB engine
* to ensure that migration from ewiki does not lose data (you can't imagine the disorder that's in those tables... nor do I, but Pigui explained to me and he was very convincing).
The code is in the CVS (contrib) and also in a new release in our site, please be careful when trying and backup your database if is a production site!!!

In the next days I'll start gathering all the reported issues, comments in the moodle docs nwiki roadmap page and we will sort the development priorities from there... feel free to speak your mind there.

Best regards
Ludo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: NWiki installation code 100% rebuilt... RFC

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
come on ... gimme just a little feedback... I need t know if this new installatio goes in the right direction.
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Sven Laudel -
Hi,

a few days ago i discovered your new NWiki module. Today i tried it on a testing machine with the data from our production system.
After logging in as an administrator, the upgrade starts.
First it told me that "groups were updated" and after clicking on the button to proceed,all exercise tables are being created.
But now the installation stops: Last statement is

"wiki module needs upgrading"

I tried it on a Linux machine (Gentoo Linux), with apache 2.2.6, php 5.2.4 and postgresql 8.0.13.
Before trying to install nwiki i upgraded the moodle version from 1.6.x to latest 1.8 from CVS.

Maybe you have a hint, what i should do to make it running through the installation completely?

By the way, installation from scratch with NWiki merged seems to work fine. But this wouldn't be an option for the production system.

Regards,

Sven
In reply to Sven Laudel

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Modules say this when the version numbers are out of sync. Of it says it once, when you go back to the main moodle admin page, it should be done, unless you are getting stuck in some loop, or the page never fully loads?

It's kind of bad phrasing. It should say more like 'The upgrade script for the wiki module is being run'. This is cross all of moodle, not just this module.
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Sven Laudel -
Hi,

the problem is, i can't go any further because i'm redirected to this page everytime i try to call any other page. It seems like i'm stuck in a loop.
First time i thought it will load after a while, but after ten minutes nothing had changed.

Regards Sven