Post Threshold for Blocking -- Teachers vs. Students

Post Threshold for Blocking -- Teachers vs. Students

by Barron Koralesky -
Number of replies: 5

I am confused about the Post Threshold For Blocking for forums. When I just tested this for a Q&A forum it seems that students were not limited to the post threshold, but the teacher for the course was. This is odd, as it seems contrary to the help for that setting (copied below).

I had set the threshold to 2 and the warning to 1. This was applied to the teacher (which I don't think it is supposed to). It warned the teacher at 1 post and did not let them post a third post. It did not warn the student at all and the student was able to make 3 posts.

Isn't this the reverse of the way it should be? We are using v1.8.2+ Thank you!

The concept of managed postings is very simple. Users will be blocked from posting after a given number of posts in a given period, and as they approach that number, they'll be warned that they are approaching the threshold.

Setting either the warn threshold to 0 will disable warnings, and setting the block threshhold to 0 will disable blocking. If blocking is disabled, warnings will automatically be disabled.

None of these settings affect teachers posting

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barron Koralesky

Re: Post Threshold for Blocking -- Teachers vs. Students

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Barron,

Please could you check the throttling applies capability for student and teacher roles (in Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles). It should be not set for the teacher role and allowed for the student role, I think.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Barron Koralesky -

Thanks for the reply, Helen.

Interesting... I think ours were at the default, which was mod/forum:throttlingapplies = "not set" for both. I moved the student to "allowed" and now the student posts are throttled.

However, with the teacher role mod/forum:throttlingapplies = "not set" they still appear to be throttled. Likewise, with the teacher role mod/forum:throttlingapplies = "prevent", they still seem to be throttled.

This shouldn't be, correct?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hmm, it sounds like a bug. Perhaps you could add a report in the tracker, selecting Roles as the component.

by Greg Jeffrey -

Hmmm   I seem to have the same problem.  The default was that throttling did not affect anyone.  I applied it to students but now I am throttled in forums as an Admin whether I have the Role setting on Not Set, Allow, Prevent or Prohibit.  I know I could Unthrottle for a while, make my post and rethrottle but...  of course I can't have teachers throttled (much though I'd like to as a techie thoughtful).  Does anyone have any ideas?

(Ver  1.9.9 (Build: 20100609))

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jon Tomlinson -
I have the same problem with a recent install of 1.9. It requires the roles to be edited, including Teacher/Admins to "prevent" throttling.