Peer Assessment not starting

Peer Assessment not starting

by Mark Brookes -
Number of replies: 3
Hi

As a newbie to version 1.8.x, I have enjoyed the changes. I used the Workshop module for the first time with a class and it works great. I love the features and options, however the problem I had was that when the time came for the students to begin peer assessing, nothing happened.

They had all submitted their file before the "End of Submissions" deadline and the time for the "Start of Assessments" was 2 minutes later. However that time came and went and the students did not see any file for them to assess.

I have the grading strategy as being "not graded" but I understood that to mean that the peers could simply write a comment.

Nothing changed.

Did I have a setting wrong?
Thanks

Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Brookes

Re: Peer Assessment not starting

by Ignacio de Miguel -
Dear Mark,

I am using Moodle 1.7, and I had the same problem that you have.

In order to solve it, I had to set more than 30 minutes between the "End of Sumissions" deadline and the time for the "Start of Asssessments".

I think that this has to do with the "maxeditingtime" variable, which is set to 30 minutes by default. When a student sends a message to a forum, it is really forwarded to the forum (or at least other students are notified of his submission) 30 minutes after he sends it. Something similar must be happening with the workshop, so that you need to set more than 30 minutes between those two phases.

Regards,
Ignacio

In reply to Ignacio de Miguel

by John Sharrock -

but that would mean that you wouldn't be able to start the peer assessment in the same session?  that isn't very useful.

I found that students could see the work of others who submitted before they did. (but that's no use either)

In reply to Ignacio de Miguel

by Elena Ivanova -
oh, this was a good tip.
I think I have found the source of this issue.

Workshop was several Phases controlled by the time set in the Settings area. So, there can be phases: Allow Submissions; Allow Assessments and Submissions; Allow Assessments only.

Something got changed from previous Moodle versions (we run 1.8.3 now) , and at this point "Allow Assessments and Submissions" does not work like before.
Thus, even though everything is set correctly, students cannot see each other submissions.
Easy solution is to update the settings and change the Workshop to "Allow Assessments" phase only - by setting the "End of Submissions" deadline to end before "Start of assessments" starts.

This fixed the issues and students were able to see each other work.

What is funny, I've went ahead and flipped it back again, to allow both assessments and submissions - and it started to work somehow, with students being able to see everything.

Looks like something is buggy here. Should I add it to the tracker?