DragMath documentation and downloads

DragMath documentation and downloads

by John Isner -
Number of replies: 17
DragMath lets you write mathematics in Moodle without learning LaTeX. I have created a new article on DragMath in the documentation wiki, and I have added a DragMath entry to the Modules and Plugins database. The new information above supersedes the "beta" discussion that took place in this forum over the last few days.

This is the DragMath button. Get one for your HTML editor toolbar today!

Attachment math.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Isner

Re: DragMath documentation and downloads

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear John

Do you allow that i tell the german users how can the change the buttons Insert and Cancel to german? Or exist a plan or a reflection with different folders in different languages with inside the file dlg_ins_smile.php?

Example in the file dlg_ins_smile.php the must change two lines, line 72 or in my modification for our servers line 73:
<button type="button" onclick="return getLatexAndInsert();">Einf&uuml;gen</button>
<button type="button" onclick="return cancel();">Abbrechen</button>

What you think? Not all moodlers can make changes, so grows up my idea ...
Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by John Isner -
Andy,
dlg_ins_smile.php does not have a language file -- my fault. So the only way to do it now is to do it your way. I will study this issue and "internationalize" the integration package.

The DragMath editor itself is internationalized, although it currently only has English. If you install DragMath from sourceforge (following the latest instructions), you will see a 'lang' directory containing language files.

If you would like to translate DragMath into German, mail the new language file to Chris Sangwin at sangwinc@for.mat.bham.ac.uk and he will add it to the sourceforge project.

In reply to John Isner

by Stéphane Goussault -
Hello,

With my host service, i can't use mimetext filter, so i use JsMath.
I've tried DragMath and it works quite well with JsMath except for some symbols like matrix.
I would like to know if it's possible to have a complete compatibility. Is there a way so that DragMath handles the Tex symbols used by JsMath ?

Thank you for developping such tools for the students

Stephane

In reply to Stéphane Goussault

by John Isner -
Hi Stephane,
I know you were one of the people who installed DragMath according to the "beta" instructions given here. If so, your dlg_ins_smile.php is pointing to Chris Sangwin's site. The new instructions in the documention wiki say to download and install DragMath locally. This will create a new directory under popups called DragMath containing all the DragMath components. Within those components is a directory called formats containing a file called latex.xml. You can customize that file somewhat. There's an explanation of how the format files work in the doc directory (also under DragMath in the local install).

Please let us know how this works out for you. Other users will probably want to do this.
In reply to John Isner

by Stéphane Goussault -
Hello John

I followed your instructions and it works perfectly.
I can modify the file latex.xml so that DragMath can produce the code used by jsMath. DragMath is a fantastic tool !
I will also work on a french language file. I will send it on the forum when I finish.

Thanks

Stephane

In reply to Stéphane Goussault

by John Isner -
Stephan,
I'm glad it works. Would you post the change you made so we can see what you did?

It would be great if you created a French language file for DragMath. Posting it in this forum is a good idea. Then Chris Sangwin can get the file from here and include it in the Dragmath package on sourceforge.
In reply to John Isner

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks John & everyone else,

As one of the two original developers of DragMath I am very keen to know how both you, your colleagues and students get on. Please email me with any feedback.

Please send me language files and any modifications you needed to make to the output formats. I will then add these to the release to help others.

sangwinc@for.mat.bham.ac.uk

Best regards,

Chris Sangwin
In reply to John Isner

by Jonathan Meyers -
How can I get a copy of the drag math that keeps the smiley button? The link in the old post thread doesn't work.
In reply to Jonathan Meyers

by John Isner -
There is no version that keeps the smiley button.
In reply to John Isner

by Clark Moodler -
Hi all,

This DragMath looks very handy.

One question - students could use this in the discussion forums, right? But how could they use DragMath to submit individual assignments that others would not see except the instructor?

thanks,
Clark

In reply to Clark Moodler

by Christopher Sangwin -

Clark,

My motivation for DragMath was to make it easier for students to enter their answers to an online assessment system I'm developing.  This allows students to submit individual assignments!  Please watch this space.

We are going to demonstrate the system at the Moodle Moot in the the UK later this month, and then release a version of the STACK system.  It is integraed into Moodle, of course.

You can find out more about the design of the previous version of STACK in two papers:

http://web.mat.bham.ac.uk/C.J.Sangwin/Publications/2007CAME_Sangwin.pdf

http://web.mat.bham.ac.uk/C.J.Sangwin/Publications/2006WebAlt.pdf

Chris

In reply to Clark Moodler

by John Isner -
Clark,
I interpret your question a little differently. I think you want to know how you can use the DragMath editor TODAY.

The DragMath editor is available wherever you or your students are presented with an HTML editor by Moodle. This includes most places where students enter text: answers to short answer questions, online assignments, forum posts, their profile description, wiki pages, etc., etc. Just think of the DragMath editor as an extension to the the normal HTML editor.

FYI submissions for all three assignment types can only be seen by the instructor, but this is a completely separate issue from whether or not your students use DragMath to prepare the assignment.

But after seeing your MentorForums post just now, it strikes me that perhaps you are not using Moodle's definition of "assignment" (a specific type of Moodle activity). If so, you need to tell us exactly what you mean by "assignment."
In reply to John Isner

by Jeff Forssell -
Now I have DragMath working as can be seen in the screen shot. When editing the short-answer question as teacher, the DM extension worked fine. But as you can see in the picture there is no HTML editor for the students answer field (at least not in my 1.8.2).

The short-answer question didn't have any problem recognizing a proper Moodle TeX expression as right. So that seems promising!

Some questions I have:

How is the documentation/help page to be displayed (I don't see any (?)s)

Is there any possibility of getting the [_] outline display to work?

(Another TeX question I have is that I have been bothered for a while with a bunch of text before each TeX equation:
usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
usepackage{amsmath}
usepackage{amsfonts}
RequirePackage{amsmath,amssymb,latexsym}
I have now been able to get rid of it on the filter administration page, after some hesitation, because of the warning not to change anything! I certainly didn't put it there. Anyone else had that problem?)
Attachment TexShortanswer.jpg
In reply to John Isner

by Jeff Forssell -
I am installing DragMath on my 1.8.2 site. I have unzipped DragMath and now I'm about to do the DragMathIntegration. The documentation says:

dlg_ins_smile.php
Copy this file to your $CFG->dirroot/lib/editor/htmlarea/popups
directory, overwriting the existing file (you may want to make a
copy of the original file before overwriting it)

But the only thing in my popups dir is the DragMath dir (with its contents). Have I done something wrong or is the documentation wrong?

I have also made a Swedish translation of the en.xml file (which I am including here. The (DragMath) should be removed from the filename.) Is it correct that Moodle will not change the language is this yet?

I'm guessing that DragMath will show Swedish if I put that file in, renamed en.xml, or If I find where the applet parameters are stored and change =en to =sv

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by John Isner -
Hi Jeff,
In 1.8, before you start adding DragMath, you should have the following files in your popups directory:

Attachment popups_directory_listing.png
In reply to John Isner

by Jeff Forssell -
I was supposed to be in
dirroot/lib/editor/htmlarea/popups
but it turns out there was a
dirroot/lib/editor/popups
that I was in instead.blush
So now I'm moving the dragmath folder and will replace the files that are there.

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Christopher Sangwin -

Thank you for contributing the Sweedish language file.  I have added this to the DragMath CVS and this will be included with the next release.

Chris