Report does not show results

Report does not show results

by Bruno Gunterswiler -
Number of replies: 23
Hello

In my “old” Moodle environment I have many Hotptatoes exercises. Here I can reconstruct the work of the pupils problem-free and receive a report over its results.

Now  I test a current Moodle version (1.8). The same Hotpotatoes exercises can be solved problem-free. In the report then also the attempt appears with user, date and time, but always with 0 points, although many tasks were solved correctly.

Does someone know, why the results are not correctly indicated?

Greeting

Bruno Gunterswiler
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruno Gunterswiler

Re: Report does not show results

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bruno

please could you show us a screen shot of "the report", so we can be clear about which column on which report page you feel is not correct.

thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Julian Ridden -
Attached is a screenshot as it appears in the new gradebook. Note that each HotPotato is not showing it's name but rather just the term 'Grade'.
Attachment screencap1.gif
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Julian Ridden -
By clicking on 'HotPotato' as an activity from the activities block, I can view individual reports. Screenshot of the same data above but as listed in the the HotPotato report is below.
Attachment screencap2.gif

by Julian Ridden -
A few issues i have here.
  1. You should be able to see 'View Report' while logged in as a teacher while in the individual HotPotato activity. Same as you would get for, say, 'View submitted assignments' in an assignment activity. i really had to hunt to find the reports as they stand
  2. Obviously a major hicccup in the new gradebook. I have teachers screaming (well nearly) that the data is no longer available. My teachers used to use this to generate 'Leaderboards' to show to students.
  3. What happened to the names? Obviousy they are not all called 'Grade'.
  4. This is just being picky, but it would be good to be able to sort the columns in the HotPotato reports screen like we used to. (ie sort by highest grade)
i am very happy with the new reports available in HotPotato's in Moodle. These just need to be better integrated (especially with the gradebook) if this function is going to continue to work effectively.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Julian,

> You should be able to see 'View Report' while logged in as a teacher while in the individual HotPotato activity.

Good. You'll like the new HotPot module then, because it will work like this.

> Obviously a major hicccup in the new gradebook. I have teachers screaming (well nearly) that the data is no longer available. My teachers used to use this to generate 'Leaderboards' to show to students.

I am not familiar with the new gradebook. I don't know about Leaderboards. Please explain more clearly what you want, and I will try to help.

What happened to the names? Obviousy they are not all called 'Grade'.

I don't know what happened to the names. I would like to ask the person who wrote the "new gradebook".

> This is just being picky, but it would be good to be able to sort the columns in the HotPotato reports screen like we used to. (ie sort by highest grade)

Was it ever possible to sort HotPot reports by columns. I will go and have a look. Which Moodle are you referring to?

> I am very happy with the new reports available in HotPotato's in Moodle.

I am a little confused by you describing the reports as "new". As far as I am aware the HotPot reports are the same ones that have been available since Moodle 1.6.

> These just need to be better integrated (especially with the gradebook) if this function is going to continue to work effectively.

I'm sorry I don't understand "this function".

I think basically you are talking about Moodle 1.8 which I don't use on a day to day basis, so I will go and see if I can find the "grader/index.php" page a figure out what needs to be done to get the HotPot information displayed correctly.

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hello Julian,
I found the "grader" report in Moodle 1.9.

It has never been possible to sort the HotPot reports by column, so I am still confused by your phrase, "it would be good to be able to sort the columns in the HotPotato reports screen like we used to"

Looking at the scripts in the "grade" folder for Moodle 1.9, it seems that modules need several new functions if they are to provide information for the "grader" (and other) reports. It is not immediately obvious to me what these functions should be called, but no doubt that will become clear after a little investigation. I will endeavor to start that process this weekend.

many thanks for pointing this out
Gordon

by Julian Ridden -
It would really help if I mentioned the version I was using wouldn't it. I am helping with testing of the new 1.9 beta and trying to ensure all the major modules work with the newly released gradebook.

Leaderboard is the teachers term..not mine. Simply it is going into the gradebook and sorting by result rather than name.

He used to bring this up on the projector to encourage competition between the students (they are doing crosswords they have each developed).

So up until now it was available, but the new gradebook no longer allows custom colum sorting.

As for the new screens. Maybe those reports have been there the entire time..because i used to always use the gradebook instead I never saw them...woops.

JR

by Gordon Bateson -
Julian,
I think I understand now.

You are reporting the fact that the names and grades of HotPot activities do not appear in the "grader" report in Moodle 1.9. I will investigate that and try to get it working.

I cannot do anything about sorting in the "grader" report. I suggest you report it on the Moodle Tracker.

I am glad you have found the HotPot report screens which show detailed results about students attempts at HotPot activities. HotPot activities are not currently intended for the purpose of generating "grades". They are there to show students what they understand and help them discover new understanding. The HotPot reports are very useful for showing the teacher which questions everyone got right and what the common incorrect responses were, as well as how many checks hints and clues were requested for each question.

anyway thanks again, for pointing out the "grader" report in Moodle 1.9 smile
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
I know this page produced by "mod/hotpot/report.php". Everythign is OK here, right?

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Julian,
I must confess I am not familiar with this screen (grade/report/grader/index.php). It's from Moodle 1.8, is it? I'll go and have a look ...

by Bruno Gunterswiler -
The report shows the characteristic “broken off” on and also 0 points, although thereI should actually appear 10 points.
There is no chance, to finish the test on an other button than "check".
Thanks
Bruno
Attachment hotpot_problem1.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -
Bruno,
please click on that link which says "24 August 2007, 10:36" and show me the screen shot of that report.

Is it possible to send me the Hot Potatoes quiz, "Langenmasse g3", so I can test it on my own Moodle 1.8 site?

thanks
Gordon

by Bruno Gunterswiler -

Hallo Gordon

I clicked on the date and this is the printscreen.

I send you also the Hotpotatoes files, both possible with E-Mail.
Thanks
Bruno

Attachment hotpot_problem2.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -
Thanks Bruno,
this screenshot shows that no results have been returned from the browser to Moodle, which explains why the scores are all 0.

The next step is to find out why no results are returned.

It could be that in this particular case the student just looked at the questions in the quiz but didn't click any buttons.

However, in your original post you said the scores are 0 even though "many tasks were solved correctly", so it could be something else which is preventing the results from being sent back from the browser.

Anyway, I'll report back when I have had a look at the quiz you sent me.

best regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Bruno,
thanks to your tip-off, I found a rather major problem with "mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js", which is the file that is supposed to send results back from the browser. It seems that a crucial line of code had been disabled, possibly for debugging purposes, so that results were often not returned to Moodle.

I have corrected the javascript code and you will be able to download it soon (= usually within 24 hours) from the Moodle downloads page.

In the meantime, you can get the modified file from here:
http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/18/ms/mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js

Please right-click on the above link to download the file to your PC, then upload it to the "mod/hotpot" folder on your Moodle site.

After uploading the modified "hotpot-full.js", please view one of your HotPots and force-refresh the page (Ctrl+F5), so that the browser gets the new javascript file from the server. After that, the results from the all your HotPot activities should be sent back to the server.

Please let us know what happens smile

many thanks
Gordon

by Bruno Gunterswiler -

Hi Gordon

I'm sorry, but it changed nothing. With a short while before accomplished the attempt stands “in treatment”, with the attempt from yesterday stands “broken off”.
Greetings Bruno

by Gordon Bateson -
Would it be possible for you to send me details of how to access your site, so I can see investigate what is happening? My email address is: gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

by Gordon Bateson -
Dear Bruno,
thanks for giving me access to your site.

The HotPots are failing because of the folowing error:
Error: document.getElementById("FeedbackContent") has no properties
Source File: mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js
Line: 2245

It seems you have removed the FeedbackContent DIV in some (or all?) of your Hot Potatoes quizzes.

The Hot Potatoes quizzes contain javascript code which expects that DIV to be there. If it is not found, this will cause an error, and the quiz results will not be sent back to Moodle.

You can fix up your "mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js" file, to take account of this as follows:
  1. open "mod/hotpot/hotpot-full.js" on your Moodle site with a text editor
  2. locate the "hpInterceptFeedback" function (around line 2246)
  3. change this:
    var s = getFuncCode(f) + 'Finish();'
    to this:
    var s = getFuncCode(f);
    if (s.indexOf("document.getElementById('FeedbackContent')")>=0) {
    if (!document.getElementById('FeedbackContent')) {
    // special case for when FeedbackContent has been removed
    if (s.indexOf('RefreshImages()')>=0) {
    s = 'RefreshImages();';
    } else {
    s = '';
    }
    )
    }
    s += 'Finish();'

by Gordon Bateson -
Sorry there was a syntax error in that first Javascript I posted, and also I hadn't had a chance to test the code out fully, so it didn't work in all browsers.

I have tested the following code on the quiz you sent me, and it works as expected, that is to say, the results are sent back to Moodle:

change this:
var s = getFuncCode(f) + 'Finish();';
to this
var s = getFuncCode(f);
var i = s.indexOf("document.getElementById('FeedbackContent')");
if (i<0) s.indexOf('document.getElementById("FeedbackContent")');
if (i>=0) {
// special case for when FeedbackContent DIV has been removed
if (s.indexOf('RefreshImages()')>=0) {
s = 'RefreshImages();';
} else {
s = '';
}
}
s += 'Finish();'

cheers
Gordon

by Bruno Gunterswiler -
Hi Gordon
It's great, the Hotpotaoes exercises work now
Where did the error lie, in the Hotpotatoes file or into my Hotpotatoes modules?

Thanks a lot

Bruno

by Gordon Bateson -

> where did the error lie

As I tried to explain earlier, the error occurred because your Hot Potatoes htm files do not have a "FeedbackContent" element. This appears in your browser as the feedback box, which pops up when you click the check button.

I assumed you had removed the "FeedbackContent" element yourself, either from the htm file(s) or from the Hot Potatoes "source" files on your PC which are used to create the htm files. Is that not the case?

by Christian Eckhardt -
It's great to see that problem fixed.

Is there an updated version of the module for download somewhere, so that I can ask my administrator to "refresh" the module?
In reply to Christian Eckhardt

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Christian,
I think this issue only affected Bruno's site because he was using modified Hot Potatoes quizzes.

There is no need to update your site just because of this issue.

However, if you wish to get the latest HotPot module for you module site, simply ask you Moodle administrator to update to the latest version of Moodle for the release of Moodle that you are using. The HotPot module comes as part of the standard Moodle distributions.

best regards
Gordon