Questionnaire: groups and permissions - HELP!

Questionnaire: groups and permissions - HELP!

by Karen McClelland -
Number of replies: 4
This is the scenario:

Moodle 1.7. One course with forced separate groups. Groups consist of a number of students and one teacher. Course contains several questionnaires.
Requirement is that teacher can view responses from own student group only.

An editing teacher can view all responses from all groups (no good) and a non-editing teacher can't view any (no good). I've tried tweaking the overrides but of course there are no specific overrides for the questionnaire module as it is non-standard.

I've looked at the documentation and forums for roles and capabilities and groups but I'm not a programmer so I'm getting royally lost!

Has anyone tried to set up a similar situation? Would attaining this scenario require a lot of alterations/amendments to the Moodle code or could it be just a few lines here and there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to have an answer by Monday.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen McClelland

Re: Questionnaire: groups and permissions - HELP!

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
At the moment the Questionnaire module is not role-aware. If there is a real demand for it, I might try to do something about it. Of course the biggest incentive to do this would be with a view of inclusion of Questionnaire in a forthcoming version of Moodle. If you want this inclusion, you can vote for CONTRIB-56.
Joseph
PS.- Do contact me if you are in a hurry.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Karen McClelland -
Hi Joseph
Thanks for your reply. I suspect there may be a demand for this as 'quality control' is quite a big thing and the whole guidance side of education I think quite rightly has a place in a VLE.

I have used the questionnaire module extensively for student and staff surveys cross college and so it was a natural step to transform the student questionnaires which make up part of their individual learning plans to an online environment. Since these questionnaires are used cross college, the ability to have one course in which all students and their respective class tutors are enrolled in groups is preferable to replicating the same materials within every course, for statistical analysis I am sure also.

It was only when I tried to set up the groups that I ran into problems. I posed my issue too to the Scottish Moodle Users Group (SMUG) and found that others had tried to do the same thing as me.

One suggested solution was to give a non-editing teacher the rights to login as another user and so view their groups' questionnaire responses but again this was not group specific and teacher from group A was able to login as a student from group B. So I have given up on using the questionnaire module for this situation and will have to make them assignments, as this gives the required confidentiality within groups. I am not happy to do this as it is harder to train staff and students to use the assignment module than the questionnaire module, but as I need a solution for Tuesday 21st August, I am left with little choice I fear.

Thanks
Karen

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Heather P -
Your contrib-56 link takes you to a page to vote for the inclusion of the feedback module in the core of Moodle rather than to vote for the Questionnaire roles and capabilities which is Contrib-106.
I'd really like to have the roles and capabilities worked out for it as the people analysing the data don't really need to be able to accidentally mess up an entire course!
This would also allow for some interesting class projects.
In reply to Heather P

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Heather > " Your CONTRIB-56 link takes you to a page to vote for the inclusion of the feedback module in the core of Moodle rather than to vote for the Questionnaire roles and capabilities which is Contrib-106

That's exactly what I say in my message: "Of course the biggest incentive to do this would be with a view of inclusion of Questionnaire in a forthcoming version of Moodle. If you want this inclusion, you can vote for CONTRIB-56."

However, Martin D. has decided that the Questionnaire module will not be part of Moodle regular distributions, and will remain a 3rd-party module.

As for work on making the Questionnaire module roles-aware, it it scheduled to start any day now, thanks to Jenny Gray. See this discussion.

Joseph