upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.8.2

upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.8.2

by Biju Mani -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

We have made a fresh clean installation of 1.8.2 on a new box. We want to migrate the existing courses and related data from Moodle 1.5.3  to 1.8.2. The old database was MySQL 4x and the new install has MySQL 5x. How to do the migration. The language has been set to utf8.

Biju

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Biju Mani

Re: upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.8.2

by J Handler -

I am actually in the same boat now as well.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joel

In reply to J Handler

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Here's my suggestion. It might seem longwinded to you at first, but it will be smooth.

1. copy across the the Moodle 1.5 scripts, database and data folder to the "new" box. You may need to update the "$CFG->wwwroot", "$CFG->dataroot" and "$CFG->dirroot" settings in config.php
  2. login to Moodle 1.5 and check it is working ok.
  3. save the config.php
  4. remove the Moodle 1.5 directory, and replace it with a Moodle 1.6 directory
  5. Put the config.php copy across the config and login to Moodle as an administrator. The site wil now update to Moodle 1.6
  6. initiate the "Migrate to unicode" task on your Moodle 1.6. It can take a long while.
  7. after it completes upgrade the site to Moodle 1.7 and then to Moodle 1.8
  8. your Moodle 1.8 is now ready to go. If you want to dump and restore stuff to the other "new" Moodle 1.8 site you can do that now.

good luck
Gordon 

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by J Handler -

I am in the process of doing the 1.6.5 UTF conversion now.  From 1.6.5 cvan I go directly to 1.8.2 or do I still need to upgrade to 1.7 first?  I thought once it is in the new UTF-8 you could jump from 1.6.5 -> 1.8x.   

Thanks,
Joel

In reply to J Handler

by Richard Enison -

JH,

That has been my understanding. GB is usually correct on Moodle issues; so I'm surprised we have a disagreement on this. I had told another user in another thread that they only needed to upgrade to 1.6 or 1.7 in order to migrate to Unicode, then they could upgrade to 1.8. I was about to do the same in this thread when I saw GB's post, so I didn't. I thought I must have been mistaken. But since you brought it up ...

RLE

In reply to J Handler

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Joel,
if you want to be safe, go via Moodle 1.7, as this is the most tested route.

If you have a small uncomplicated (i.e. using a single language and only standard blocks and modules) site, you can try going straight to from 1.6 to 1.8, but my experience is that going through the major releases, i.e. 1.5 -> 1.6 -> 1.7 -> 1.8, is the more reliable route.

Whatever you try, please let us know how you get on smile

regards
Gordon

by J Handler -

I did the safe upgrade going from 1.5.4 -> 1.6.5 -1.7.4 ->1.8.2.

Your directions worked perfectly! 

Thanks,
Joel

by Craig Whalland -

Sounds like logic - but the big problem we have had is that I can't get 1.6 to uprgade to 1.7 or 1.8 - during the upgrade process it hangs and I never see the continue button - have tried at least 6 times over a weekend with various suggestions from forums but no luck (running MYSQL, PHP, Apache on Windows box).

Eventually gave up and restored from backup and we are still running 1.6

What I have done is build a new 1.9 server clean - no issue and I would love to migrate across the courses from the 1.6 server - hopefully with user data intact?

Any suggestions?

Craig

by Ron Brown -
I have the exact same issue but when moving from 1.5 to 1.6 it errors on trying to create duplicate mod_quiz sections and columns, I tried to delete them since they already existed and were empty... but it still won't get past the quiz mod without errors.

Any help would be appreciated..

6 hours in and I give up for today...