hide/show front page courses based on role

hide/show front page courses based on role

by michael nolast -
Number of replies: 12
Hi -

I'd like to be able to define a role "foo" and then have a subset of my courses that are only available to users with role "foo". So users with the system role "foo" would see a few courses on the site front page that other uses without role "foo" would not. Is there a way to do this using the roles system?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to michael nolast

Re: hide/show front page courses based on role

by michael nolast -
Help?

by John Isner -
The ability to show/hide blocks within a course based on user role does not currently exist within the roles system. It is a frequently requested feature. You may want to check out this third-party solution.
In reply to John Isner

by michael nolast -
Sorry, i'm not talking about within the course, I'm talking about on the front page of the moodle site - does the same answer still apply? Thanks.

by John Isner -
Yes. The front page is a course (course number 1). The ability to hide and show blocks based on role would be useful in all courses, including the front page.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Michael,

Are you wanting courses or blocks to be hidden from certain users? If it's courses, then you could make use of the view hidden courses capability. If you're not sure how to make use of this capability, please say so and someone will explain.
In reply to Helen Foster

by michael nolast -
Yes, I'm not entirely sure how to make use of it. If I had 3 roles, and i want users in each role to see a specific, distinct subset of courses, is this possible using this hidden courses capability?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No, unfortunately it's not possible for 3 roles to see different subsets of courses. It's only possible for roles with the view hidden courses capability allowed to see all courses and everyone else to see only non-hidden courses.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Nathan Lothamer -

Is there a way to have a course hidden, but appear for all those that are enroled in the course?

In reply to Nathan Lothamer

by Elena Ivanova -

Yes, it is possible (the link to it will be grey in color, but fully accessible),  if you modify role permissions on the level of this course.
E.g. in 1.9  go to Assign Roles >  Override Permissions > Student >set View hidden courses to Allow.

For people with Instructor role in the course - this is the default behaviour. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Nathan Lothamer -

Now, is there a way to do the same thing for categories as Elena mentioned for courses?

In reply to Nathan Lothamer

by Elena Ivanova -
Yes, you can exactly the same with categories. Go to one of them and locate Assign Roles in 1.9 /Permissions in 2.0 links.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Jamal Aruna -

hi everyone,

my situation is a bit different smile

Is there a way i can make a link/resource/page or menu accessible to only enrolled users even if he's just registered in a  single course and not just to all registered(authenticated) users?

It could be anywhere though i will prefer it to be on the frontpage but if it has to appear in all courses its still fine.It should only be accessible to users who are enrolled in atleast one course site-wide,not really a particluar course alone.Its a library page link that i want only enrolled users in my school to have access to.Otherwise if  you have a better idea i will be grateful to know what it is.

Thank you