Database Server Checks

Database Server Checks

by Stephen Parker -
Number of replies: 12

I am having problems installing moodle.  I have got as far as the database section and all goes well except on the unicode section where there is a big red block on the 'report' section and a small red block on the 'status' section, also a slightly smaller red block on the 'database mysql' section and a small red block on the 'status' section.  I get the message that I have to solve the environmental issues before I can proceed but don't know how to.  I have set up the mySQL database correctly but am unsure how to proceed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Steve Parker

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Parker

Re: Database Server Checks

by wyman griffin -
I am getting the same error message. In the big red blocks there is no message. DOn't know what it is looking for. I sure hope someone can shed some light on this error so thaqt I can move forward.
In reply to wyman griffin

by David Mead -
Right click on the red X and check its properties. It gives the path it is trying to use. That is how I found the extra file name inserted into the path.
In reply to David Mead

by Richard Enison -

SP & WG,

Is that what you meant by big and small red blocks? Red X's? I didn't know whether you meant blocks of red text or what you meant. Maybe if you posted a screenshot or some kind of reproduction of the output you got, someone in the Moodle community might be able to recognize or figure out what's going on and help you. We're not mind readers. surprise "You have to solve the environmental issues before you can proceed" is a very generic summary msg. that is always issued whenever there is any kind of error or warning during the installation process.

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by David Mead -
Sorry-I thought I was clear.  In Windows right clicking on the block where the picture is supposed to appear (it has a small red x at its top) allows you to select its properties so you can see the path the program expected to find the picture in. It shows that a pix.php is being inserted apparently between the dataroot path and the identifying user information (id#/picture name) where that picture is located in the user folder in the moodledata folder.  Hope that is a better description. It occurs in every instance where the user picture is supposed to go.
In reply to David Mead

by Richard Enison -

DM,

There is no need for you to apologize. The comments in my previous post were addressed to SP & WG. I posted it as a reply to your post because I mentioned something you said as part of my question to them (the red X). Maybe I shouldn't have done it that way.

Their posts were about database problems. As I reread them, I can find no references to pictures, picture files, or red X's.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. sad

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Dan Brannon -

Richard,

I believe what they are trying to figure out is shown below.  I'm getting the same problem with my install and have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. 

moodle1.jpg

I have my database set up correctly and can access it fine.  It says I'm running PHP4.3 is fine. MySQL 4.0 is  installed.  what other info do I need to provide?

thanks,

Dan

In reply to Dan Brannon

by David Mead -
Those are extensions to activate in the php.ini file by removing the ; in front of them.
In reply to Dan Brannon

by Richard Enison -

DB,

That's exactly the kind of screenshot I was asking for. Looks like if there is any text there, it is red on red and therefore unreadable. If you do a View Source command in your browser you should be able to tell what, if any, text is hidden in those red blocks.

In any case, making the text unreadable like that is a bug and should be reported to the Tracker.

RLE

PS Uncommenting extensions in php.ini is not always enough to activate them if they are not installed in the first place. (E.g. see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=71811#p321472) But let's find out what the hidden error msgs. are before jumping to conclusions.

In reply to wyman griffin

by Clarence Prudhoe -

I am getting the same RED BLOCK when I attempt to upgrade the database.  When I highlight the Red Block I see:

It is required that you store all your data in Unicode format (UTF-8). New installations must be performed into databases that have their default character set as Unicode. If you are upgrading, you should perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page).

What does it mean (see the Admin page).  I have looked all over and I don't see any way to "perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page)".

The Red Block appears when I go to www.mysite.com/admin and Moodle does the system checks.

If I ignore this it appears to setup the database correctly.  I created this site in latest 1.8. version and then decided to move to another domain name.  The data was created in 1.8.  I dumped the data and then uploaded it to the new MySql database in SHEL.  Then I uploaded the latest 1.8 version to the new URL and then tried to open the site and get the Unicode Error.

The site seems to be set up correctly, I just get the Unicode Check message.  I went ahead and let it upgrade the data and then logged into the site.  Now when I click on the "turn edit on" button, all the editing commands disappear.

I am stumped!!

Thanks,

In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

by Clarence Prudhoe -

OK, I found the problem!

I had added several modules that are not standard.  Even though the instructions indicated they would work in versions 1.5 or newer, they are not compatible with version 1.8.

I removed all of these and Moodle works.

I recommend that you only add blocks and mods that specifically state they are compatible with version 1.8.

Problem Solved smile

In reply to Stephen Parker

by Stephen Parker -

I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TO ALL MY PROBLEMS! And yours probably too!

I did a search on a well known search engine for 'web hosting moodle' and found;

https://www.siteground.com/ (amongst other web hosting sites offering the same service)

Within 5 minutes I was set up with a domain name and moodle was set up for me!  All I have to do is set up the front page, set up the email section, add courses and so on.....

Usefull information.  I know it's cheating, but it gets the job done.

Stephen Parker