Can't type in text area Linux - Firefox

Can't type in text area Linux - Firefox

by Marc Paré -
Number of replies: 19
I tried to post to the forum by using Konqueror (Mandrake Linux v. 10) and it looks like my post got corrupted. 

I tried to use the html editor in Linux with Firefox and this text area (I am re-posting this from a Win98 box and on Firefox) is not accessible.  Would anyone have any idea on how to correct this?

Mandrake Linux v. 10/Moodle (most recent version)/Firefox v. .8

Many thanks for your help. 

Cheers

Marc Paré
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Paré

Re: Can't type in text area Linux - Firefox

by Tozé Loureiro -
Just one question... were you trying to copy paste something to your browser or were you just typing directly?  Some browser (like firefox 0.8) don't allow you to paste into the browser because of some security problems... If it is the case you should check their webpage....

Hope it helps...
In reply to Tozé Loureiro

by Marc Paré -
Hi Antonio:
I am just trying to type into the editor directly ... but it will not allow me to do this.  The moodle.org site does not give me the option of disabling the html editor and I have to (as I am doing now ) use a windows box with Firefox to write/answer on this bulletin board.

I have read about the copy/paste problems but this is not the problem I am experiencing. (Although the copy/paste does not work on the Window box anyway)

I was just wondering if anyone is using the combination Linux/Firefox and if they have or are having problems with the html editor -- otherwise people using Linux/Firefox cannot use the editor at all ... I tried to type in without using the editor with the Linux/KDE Konqueror browser and it left me with the previous entry which signals an error.

Cheers

Marc Paré

In reply to Marc Paré

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle uses the User Agent strings sent by the browser to determine what browser you're using.

Is your version of Konqueror pretending to be IE? I notice mine had (by default!) the settings to make it pretend it's IE 5.5 when accessing .org sites.

Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Browser Identification -> Site-specific

Linux/Mozilla works fine for me and many others. I've just installed Firefox on Linux and that's working fine for me too (the whole editor) ...

In reply to Marc Paré

by Janne Mikkonen -
Works Ok, on Fedora + FireFox 0.8

Does it show any error messages in your browser's Javascript console?

In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Marc Paré -

Here is what my Javascript console says:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMNSHTMLDocument.designMode]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: http://moodle.org/lib/editor/htmlarea.php :: initIframe :: line 736" data: no]

Any ideas?

Cheers

Marc

In reply to Marc Paré

by Janne Mikkonen -
Yes it helps. It seems like that iframe doesn't get initialized properly (it need more time to do it), but then again I cannot be sure.

Does this happen on every site (Marc and Paul)?

by Marc Paré -
It looks like it does it on every site.  I tried to do full screen with the editor as suggested by Paul, but it still will not let me type in the main window.  Works great on Windows ... although I now do all of my computing on Linux ... I have kept a windows partition to trouble shoot for my students.

It would be great if this were to work as I am creating a Moodle website ... most visitors would prefer using the html editor.

Cheers

Marc
In reply to Marc Paré

by Marc Paré -
I have tried to re-install firefox from the Mozilla site rather than use the Mandrake version listed on the urpmi list and it now works!  I am not quite sure why ... but the last re-install of Firefox did not fix the problem ... the version from the Mozilla site seems to work for now. 

Test Test Test Test Test

I will let you know if it quits on me again.

Marc
In reply to Marc Paré

by Janne Mikkonen -
Great, if it's working big grin.

There could be something wrong in Mandrake's package?

Cheers,
Janne

by Marc Paré -
Hi Janne:

I am not too sure if it has to do with the Mandrake Firefox package or with my setup. I am happy however that the editor does work. There seems to be a problem with the underline function ... it does not work. I can do bold; italics; strikethrough but cannot do underline.

There seems to be a problem with the "show HTML" button.  When I click on the button, the HTML text is shown but when I un-choose the "show HTML" option, I cannot go back to the same HTML window .... I can only edit by using the "enlarge editor" button.

The editor is still a great tool to have regardless!

Cheers

Marc
In reply to Marc Paré

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Try a recent Mozilla instead ... Firefox editor stuff may be a bit behind.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Marc Paré -
Actually, I just checked my previous answer about the underlining and have found that the underlining does work in other browsers but for some reason does not show in the Firefox that I have installed on my Mandrake 10Community version.

Is there anyone else who could confirm this.  If so, I will report this problem to the Firefox team as a possible bug.

Cheers

Marc
In reply to Marc Paré

by Paul Hague -
I sometimes get this problem using Mozilla in Linux and have to use the full-window editor (last option on the toolbar) to continue inputting.

It does seem a little buggy on my Linux setup especially when using the full window editor? - occasionally closing the whole browser. Always OK in Windows though.
In reply to Paul Hague

Re: Can't type in text area Firefox 0.8 SUSSED!

by Mark Pearson -
Have sussed out the issue being able to use ctrl-v to paste into HTML area from Mozilla Firefox 0.8 (Windows - but probably same for OS-X & Linux).

Recall that the problem was the incrediblty irritating nanny message that Mozilla would not allow pasting in to a Javascipt area for security reasons (even though Edit -> Paste worked) . A lot of folks, including myself got very frustrated trying to get the user.js prefs to 'take' and last I read one person gave up trying to get ctrl-v for multiple sites to work.

I have just sussed out the problem. It is as I suspected a syntax issue:

user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "allowclipboard");
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.sites", "http://llya049.lly.earlham.edu http://moodle.org");
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipboard.cutcopy", "allAccess");
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipboard.paste", "allAccess");
  1. I installed ChromEdit extension and found that, yes, you have to save and restart & then you can see that the "user_pref" lines get added to the prefs.js file
  2. I found by a not inconsiderable deal of trial and error that only domain names work - my beta Moodle site is at http://llya049.lly.earlham.edu/moodle/ but only when I used http://llya049.lly.earlham.edu did it work
  3. I removed the trailing "/" from the domain name. Bingo!
  4. I added the http://moodle.org site with a space and without the trailing "/" . Bingo!
I guess if you know javascipt syntax, this is obvious; what is beyond comprehension is why the architects of an otherwise stupendous browser would add this horrible feature (although it's probably a bug).
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Janne Mikkonen -
Mark, please educate me, what is "SUSSED" ??? wide eyes.

by Paul Duff -
In reply to Paul Duff

by Janne Mikkonen -
Thanks big grinbig grinbig grin . Now I know wink.

by Martin Dougiamas -
In fact, you could say you have "sussed" sussed. smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Janne Mikkonen -

Indeed big grin I could.

But I haven't "sussed" the problem that happens on gecko based (Mozilla, Firefox etc.) browsers, when you switch between modes. Sometimes you get stuck and can't type text in textarea. And sometimes it's works like a dream. It's driving me crazy, that I can't find the error what is causing it.

I've been playing on with setMode -function, without any reasonable result angry. Nuts...