Students still can't post on Front Page forums V1.8

Students still can't post on Front Page forums V1.8

by Marshal Anderson -
Number of replies: 15
Having worked out we have to re-start all our course forums to allow students to post, we still can't get them posting on front page forums - we've looked at every place you can do that role - override thing and set the admin>define role thing to allow global posting, but we're still stuck. Anyone else having this problem??

Marshal
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marshal Anderson

Re: Students still can't post on Front Page forums V1.8

by John Dawson -
Yes Marshall, exactly as you describe it

John
In reply to John Dawson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Marshall and John,

Please try either of the following:
  1. Assign users the front page role of student via Administration > Front Page > Front Page roles OR
  2. Edit the Authenticated user role via Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and allow the capabilities View discussions, start new discussions, reply to posts etc.
In reply to Helen Foster

by frank woeckener -
Hello board,

I expierience the same problem, moreover it also applies to any course default forum. When I create a new additional forum, posting is possible for students. I don't want to 1), because this would make all users students in all courses (right?) and 2) didn't work...
The backdraw of a additional forum - as I see it - is, that posts to this forum don't appear in the "new messages" block.

Thank you in advance for your patience, kindly your's fw
In reply to frank woeckener

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Frank,

By "course default forum" I assume you mean the news forum. This is a special forum which, as you've found, students are not allowed to start discussions or post replies. Please see docs.moodle.org/en/News_forum for more details.

Regarding my previous suggestions:
  1. Assign users the front page role of student. This does not make all users students in all courses. It only happens if users are assigned the global role of student.
  2. Edit the Authenticated user role and allow the capabilities View discussions, start new discussions, reply to posts etc. This method only works for an ordinary forum. To enable students to start discussions and post replies in a news forum, the capabilities add news and reply to news should be allowed. However, please note that another feature of a news forum is that by default, everyone is forced to be subscribed. Allowing students to start discussions and post replies in a news forum can result in a lot of unwanted emails!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Diana Brewster -
I just installed Moodle. I created a user who has role "Course Creator" and that person cannot read the site news.

I followed the suggestion posted above, and granted all authenticated users the right to view discussions, start new discussions, reply to posts, but still, Course Creator cannot read site news.

I see that these settings are indeed inherited by Course Creator role.

Only Administrators can read site news. When I go to edit subscribers of the site news, the only potential subscribers I see are the admins, but there are other users of the forum.

What's really funny: unauthenticated users can read the site news, but authenticated users can't!

What settings should be set to allow authenticated users to read the site news? One would think that this would be enabled by default. Is it by design that site news is for admins only?

---Diana
In reply to Diana Brewster

by Helen Foster -
Hi Diana,

I have tried and failed to recreate the problem you describe.

I'm using the latest Moodle 1.8.1. I set up a front page roles override (see docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading_to_Moodle_1.8 Roles and capabilities paragraph). I then logged in as a user with the global role of course creator and was able to view the site news.

I can't think of a reason why you have a problem with authenticated users viewing the site news. Perhaps you could double-check that other settings haven't been changed.

As you say, authenticated users being able to read the site news should be enabled by default. This issue has been reported - see bug MDL-9915.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Diana Brewster -
Helen,

Thanks for the reply.

I went back to our Moodle installation today, and NOW all is working as expected: unauthenticated users do not see site news, but my course creator user does, and so do authenticated users.

So, I'm not sure what was happening the other day, perhaps something to do with the session cookie and changing permission levels? :shrug:

Anyhow, we are VERY happy to have discovered Moodle. Our Reading Program people are learning the features and setting up their courses and quizzes.

---Diana
In reply to Helen Foster

by Steve Garcia -
I'm not worried about front page forums, but I am interested in getting my "News Forums" working again.

I see your link to the docs on News Forums. When did it become impossible to let students post in the News Forums? I've been having my students use these forums for multiple versions of Moodle. I just "upgraded" to 1.8, and now it's broken. I've been exploring the "roles" permissions and I've set everything that looks like it could pertain, but to no avail. I can see making the default that students can't post (well, ok, I can accept it, but it seems silly) but there really needs to be a way to change those defaults.
In reply to Steve Garcia

Re: Enabling students to post in news forums in 1.8

by Helen Foster -
Hi Steve,

Probably the easiest way to enable students to post in any news forum is to edit the role of Student via Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and allow the Reply to News capability.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Enabling students to post in news forums in 1.8

by Steve Garcia -
So you're saying that doing this globally will work?

I've done that at the course level (and at the forum level) but it didn't make any difference. I didn't try changing it at the global level.

Then I cheated. smile I modified the code that locks students out in mod/forum/lib.php Now it works, so I don't have any way to see if a global change would have helped...
In reply to Helen Foster

by Firouz Anaraki -
Hello Helen,

Thank you for this information. I have tried both method. The first method causes an email also to be sent to all students but in the second method, no email is sent to students. Is there a bug in Moodle? I wish an email could also be sent to all Authenticated Users using 2nd method. It seems emails all only sent to students and teachers and not authenticated users.

Thank you.
Firouz

In reply to Helen Foster

by Helen Foster -
Hi everyone,

I have just learnt (from Yu - thanks!) that it is better to use a front page roles override (see docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading_to_Moodle_1.8 Roles and capabilities paragraph) rather than editing the Authenticated user role permissions. This is because Authenticated user role permissions are applied to every logged-in user across the whole site.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Anjin Sing -
Hello

I am little bit frustrated, while I can't figure out what keeps students and authenticated users (all proofed via Login as) away from posting to course forums and opening threads in them.
I followed the instructions as admin to set the roles inside the courses, added the same users to students and authenticated users, viewed and edited the startpage administration roles settings of forum settings for the students and authenticated users role to allow read and post to forum and opening threads. Nothing changes.
Version is nearly latest 1.8.1+

Any suggestions?

Ian
In reply to Helen Foster

by Marshal Anderson -
Just to say re Helen's solution - changing the Front Page roles sorted this problem - but we'd tried the Define Roles thingy before and that didn't. Is it me, or is the whole role things getting almost to the point where it creates more problems that in solves - or do we just need time to get used to it?

Marshal
In reply to Marshal Anderson

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Marshal - Roles do add a level of complexity to Moodle that was not there; however, with that complexity comes a great deal more flexibility and power (like the Mentees block and having a parent role). Roles have also slowed some things down but despite some of the growing pains I believe that Moodle is better with them than without them.