Moodle network on IIS

Moodle network on IIS

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 3
Dear Moodlers,

My sysadmin has expressed doubt that the new Moodle network features will work properly on IIS.

We have PHP 5.1.2, MySQL 5.0.22, Windows NT WEBSRV 5.0 build 2195, Moodle 1.8.

The server we were using didn't have ssl, so he set up a virtual directory on a server that does.

He has enabled curl and openssl in php.ini and it shows up on the environment screen as "OK".

However, he thinks that as openssl is not installed on the server it may not work. I suppose the question is whether PHP can interface with an SSL package not based on openssl, and whether this will work with the Moodle network as well.

We will of course test this to see what happens, but I was just wondering what information the developers or other knowledgeable people can provide to guide us. Were the new Moodle network features in 1.8 tested on IIS with a SSL rather than openssl package?

TIA,
Tim.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Moodle network on IIS

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As far as I know, the PHP openssl extension comes with a couple of DLLs (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) that have everything PHP needs from the OpenSSL infrastructure. So you don't need to install OpenSSL at all (well, in fact, you have it already installed with those two DLLs).

Btw, this has nothing to do with the SSL in IIS to have HTTPS access.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Moodle network on IIS

by Martín Langhoff -
Yay! MNET should work perfectly fine with IIS, as long as PHP has the SSL extensions installed/loaded/configured (as I~naki correctly points out).

Very keen on hearing success stories on MNET. I've heard rumours of a 40-node install in Argentina...