Creating LDAP users on Macintosh Server (OpenLdap)

Creating LDAP users on Macintosh Server (OpenLdap)

by Leo Gaggl -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody out there has managed to get LDAP user creation to work with a Macintosh Server (OpenLdap).

I am using Moodle 1.8 and have updated /ldap/auth.php to the current CVS HEAD revision. At the moment I receive the 'auth_ldap_unsupportedusertype' error because the user type is not yet implemented.

I have checked all the documentation and forums, but could not find anything so far.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Leo Gaggl,
Adelaide, South Australia
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leo Gaggl

Re: Creating LDAP users on Macintosh Server (OpenLdap)

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As of now, Moodle can only create user accounts with Novell eDirectory LDAP servers. There is a patch for MS Active Directory that is expected to get into the standard version soon, but nothing that works with OpenLDAP that I know of.

That shouldn't be too difficult, though.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Leo Gaggl -
Hi Iñaki,

It seems the LDAP user creation is generally broken (at least on my server)

Line 289:
$uadd = $this->ldap_add($ldapconnection, $this->config->user_attribute.'="'.$this->ldap_addslashes($userobject->username).','.$this->config->create_context.'"', $newuser);

Results in: "Call to undefined function: ldap_add()"

I believe that should be:

$uadd = ldap_add($ldapconnection, $this->config->user_attribute.'="'.$this->ldap_addslashes($userobject->username).','.$this->config->create_context.'"', $newuser);

Are you the maintainer for this ? Or is it worth adding a report to the Bugtracking system ?

Cheers,

Leo
In reply to Leo Gaggl

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It seems it's been broken since 1.8, according to CVS history. I haven't detected it because my patches are for Active Directory and this is what I've tested. And my AD patches use ldap_add() instead of $this->ldap_add().

I'm not the maintaner of this (I belive Petr Skodak is), but have been sending a few patches recently for the LDAP auth subsytem.

Feel free to add a bug report to the tracker. And thank you very much for finding and reporting it wink

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Leo Gaggl

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
hi, please report it as a bug, I will fix it later today.

thanks smile
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Leo Gaggl -
Hi Petr,

I had to modify a few more things to get it to work. Finallly it's all talking to the LDAP server (which is complaining about the DN format at this stage).

I will finish the whole thing and then add everything at once to the bugreport.

I hope I will have the OpenLDAP user adding working soon. If you want I am happy to contribute that piece of code

It's just the "case 'rfc2307':" part of the "user_create" function.

I am having to do this on a MacServer, but I will test it on a CentOS OpenLDAP implementation as well once it's working.

Cheers,

Leo