New Moodle Version WYSIWIG Editor Error

New Moodle Version WYSIWIG Editor Error

by ash mr. -
Number of replies: 12

Hello All,

I have the latest verison of moodle installed on my site, and when I click to add a new assignment to my test course, the wysiwig editor main text window doesnt show up.  It gives me a path: body display, but no main window.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

agb12

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ash mr.

Re: New Moodle Version WYSIWIG Editor Error

by Bryan Williams -
Start with the obvious.  Go to Administration|Configuration|Variables and check to see that "htmleditor:" setting indicates Allow.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by ash mr. -
I have done this, and the html editor works for all other course functions except for assignment, the actual field is the assignment description that doesnt show up....
In reply to ash mr.

by Chris Berri -

This seems to be happening in xp only.  I have tried different themes and different versions of explorer, but the only time that the textarea of the WYSIWIG doesn't show up is when I am on a machine running Win XP.  Is this an XP bug with the javascript for the WYSIWIG?
Also, the error seems to be intermittent.  Sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't.

Explorer version 6.0.2880 on both Win 2000 and Win XP tested.  2000 is successful, XP has the error.

--Chris

In reply to Chris Berri

by Andy Diament -

Hi Chris - try the texteditor forum, particularly http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=6033

This one has been driving me crazy for ages (the error shows up with win 2k, not xp)

The 1st thing to check is - no characters at the end of config.php after the final '?>'

Good luck, Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by rick shepherd -
You might also try installing Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird at www.mozilla.org. Did the trick for me.

Rck
In reply to rick shepherd

by rick shepherd -
Oops, sorry shy, Firebird only available for Linux. Mozilla for Win.
In reply to rick shepherd

by Sean Keogh -
Firebird (or Firefox as it is now called) *Is* available for Windows.  I'm using it to type this...

Oxford Beardie
In reply to ash mr.

by Matt Riordan -
I had a problem simialr to this using MS Explorer 6 on a Windows XP machine. It seemed to be only one machine image (my Dell GX 270 image), while the GX 260 image worked great. i have not gotten around to recreating the GX 270 image to see if that fixes the problem, but that is my next couse of action when things slow down some. In the meantime, I either click on the "enlarge editor" arrows on the toolbar (that works fine), or I use Netscape 7.1, whic also works fine. Wish I had a better answer....
In reply to Matt Riordan

by Chris Luther -

I am also experiencing this intermittent issue on my XP box.  I can not track down why sometimes the normal HTML editor does and sometimes it doesn't show.  The "enlarge editor" trick works for me too, but know after you close the large editor you will not see the html text in the small editor.  Save the entry and it will show in the normal view and USUALLY when you return to edit you will be able to see the content in the small editor.

In reply to ash mr.

by IT Services -
I just hit refresh and it appears after one or two tries.
In reply to IT Services

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Please see the following discussion for more information on this subject:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8308

This seems to be a problem with IE, particularly with XP but not necessarily.  It also appears to be a random event, sometimes the body comes up, sometimes it doesn't.  And no clues yet as to a fix.

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Peter Honan -

I had the same problem, but migrated our installation to the ISAPI version of PHP (as opposed to CGI) and this seemed to solve the problem....approve

Running IIS6(2003)...........