User pics

User pics

by Matthias Fitzner -
Number of replies: 15
I have no clue where else to post it, but in this user forum for unknown reason I am not able to upload my 5KB pic. On my moodle installation I have no problem to upload it, but here it is constantly ignoring it. May be I am too ugly? But I am getting tired with the smily.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthias Fitzner

Re: User pics

by Michael Blake -
Probably just a cashe issue. After uploading the new photo, reload (F5).
In reply to Michael Blake

by Matthias Fitzner -
No, unfortunately not. As you can see in my profile, the smiley is still there. Tried several times.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's working for me ... possibly a corrupt file? Can you perhaps attach the image to a post here?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tariq Adel Al Ammadi -
Martin,

I have also tried to update my profile over the past few days and I have tried everything from different file formats to perfectly cropped images.

Attached is one of the images I tried.
Attachment images.jpg
In reply to Tariq Adel Al Ammadi

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hmm, might be related to whether you have an image already or not. Can you please file a bug in the Moodle Tracker ?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by A K -
I have added a comment to the bug at: MDLSITE-186.

This looks, in my case, to have been caused by a server move and different owner number on the new server, plus existing f1.jpg and f2.jpg profile images already existing (transferred from the previous server).

I think that the combination of different owner + permissions on directory and existing images files prevents Moodle from generating the two thumbnails in the users' directory.

Resolution (for a single user!) was to change the profile directory permissions from 755 to 777 on his profile image directory and 'remove' (actually, rename) the existing profile images, which were also 755, to make them 'invisible' to the update profile process. The upload profile image then proceeds without problems.

Not a very neat resolution and only good for that one user. Haven't got login access to the Unix system and can't think how else to easily sort out the file / directory permissions for the other users that already had images in existence before the server move (possibly several hundred of them).

Perhaps someone less rusty on Unix permissions / groups / owners can suggest a neater way? Also, remind what permissions should be set on the Moodle data folder hierarchy.

It would be nice if the upload process handled a failed image generation more elegantly and generated an error report if it fails. Currently it leaves the user in the dark about something having gone wrong until they spot that their profile image was not changed.

Questions to check for others experiencing the same problem:
- Have you moved server?
- Does the problem affect users who already had profile images on the old server? (f1.jpg and f2.jpg in following directories...) They, in combination with file / directory permissions, could be preventing the image upload (or, rather, the creation of the two thumbnails) from working.
- Have the permissions or the owner for <moodle-data-directory>/users/* changed?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Wrong file type? Did you try a different machine on a different network?

I change my photo once or twice a month. The clean cache always gets me (where is my new picture). I just stick with jpg files and don't seem to have much trouble once I remember the dump cache trick.

Here is an almost smiley face. It has worked for me in the past.

Best

Attachment a1-newbie-O21.jpg

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I am still clueless. Did you see this post in this forum? I think it was about a production Moodle, not Moodle.org . Double check and make sure everything is in lower case, even the extention for file type.

"Thanks, Bob and Mark. You made me feel this lounge is really warm! I found the problem. Moodle just refuses "image.JPG", but rather happy with "image.jpg" . After I chaged the file extension to small letters, the system just worked fine. "
In reply to Chris Collman

by Tariq Adel Al Ammadi -
My file name was lower case sad
In reply to Tariq Adel Al Ammadi

by mike fitzpatrick -
yeh i am havin the exact same problemsmile seems to be an error with moodle? i cannot get one to upload anyway its named or cropped or resized or stored on a different machine in different placesand on different browsers...not a major issue...but is a little frustrating as it works for some...not others
In reply to mike fitzpatrick

by John Trasler -
Hi Mike

We've discovered today that if get the automatic plug in for Adobe in the Firefox browser turned off this seems to solve the problem.

Blow are the instructions we issued to students

In your Firefox Browser toolbar click on "Tools" and then " Options" and then "Content".

Go to the "File Types Section -Configure How Firefox handles certain types of files" and click on "Manage".

A "Download Actions" window should open . Scroll down the "File type" list until you see PDF.
Highlight "PDF" and click on the "Change Action" box. In the new window "Change Action" and make sure that the section "Open them with default Application" is highlighted and that the default application is an Adobe Reader (Version 8 is best).

If you do not have Adobe reader in this window move to the next section "Open with this Application " and browse for the Adobe Reader Application on your PC. If you cannot find it then you can download the latest version of Adobe 8 from the link in our course, save it somewhere where you can find it and then return to the browser section above highlight it and select.

Finally make sure the section option "Use this plug in" is NOT ticked or in use as this is the option that is causing the problem.

hope this helps

John

Svar: User pics

by Karl Øyri -
moodle_pic.jpgHi,
this is how it looks-no picture. What can I do? It works on my moodle.org profile, but not on my own site. profile
Cheers
KO (with a slash through the O)