Is there an easy way to download ALL submitted assignment files?

Is there an easy way to download ALL submitted assignment files?

by Jared Stein -
Number of replies: 19
I'm about to embark for some meetings and a conference overseas, and would love to download all the assignments and final projects from my Moodle 1.6 courses to grade on the flight.

I was going to try making a backup including user data and then sifting through it to find the assignments, but thought I would as here if there is an easier way to grab them all at once.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jared Stein

Re: Is there an easy way to download ALL submitted assignment files?

by Hans de Zwart -
If you have FTP-access to the Moodledata directory you might be able to download the files directly.

You will have to know the course-id's of the courses in which the work was submitted. To find the course-id log into the course front page and check the URL.
In reply to Jared Stein

by Brett Hinton -
The easiest way I have found to download all of the uploaded assignments from a particular assignment is to use Firefox with an add-on extension called DownloadThemAll. I will let you download all of the links on a page (like to word docs, etc) to one folder. It is proven to be a great tool to use with the assignment module. Here is a quick screencast I made of using it. It isn't all that good of quality, but should provide a brief idea about how it works.

You can download the video for a little larger picture if needed.

In reply to Brett Hinton

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Brett,
Great FireFox plugin, this DownloadThemAll!
Thanks.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Brett Hinton -
Glad it was useful! (and I can't take too much credit I'm sure I heard the tip somewhere else before, probably on Moodle.org).

I'm hoping at some point they can build the download all assignments functionality right into the review interface.

Hopefully something sophisticated enough so that if you had separate groups you could download all assignments for each group separately and save each groups stuff to separate folders.
In reply to Brett Hinton

by Adma Lim -
Not all our users are using FF.
any news that they would be building/adding a "Download All" function/button for the assignments activity?

Which in my own opinion would be easy for the teachers, and we don't have to be afraid that the teachers would messy up the moddata .

Thanks. smile
In reply to Adma Lim

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Adma - Did you check out the progress at MDL-7206? There seems to be a patch that you may be able to test and provide feedback on. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Brett Hinton

by Judy Crozier -

In Moodle 1 there was a feature to download them all... and now we need a plug in from Firefox... Moodle 2 is really starting to SUCK.  First the discussion board has been rendered useless and pointless in that you cannot grade one students collective posts - unless you want to see them ALL for the whole semester and plod through that muck... and now - Moodle wants us to download one at a time - each assignment.  Who is running Moodle and who decided on these horrible changes.  Show me ONE benefit from the Moodle 2 that these two drawbacks do not overshadow.

With all the time it takes for me to do all the stuff for school I am already making about $5 an hour.  NOW that Moodle 2 is here... make that $2.50 as they are wasting my time with these HORRIBLY thought out changes.

1. bring back Moodle 1 advanced forums and grading system

2. bring back the ability to download all the assignments at once - without using a plug in

3. fire whoever is at the helm of Moodle with these changes.  Get someone in there with a connection to actually teaching.

In reply to Brett Hinton

by Judy Crozier -

Actually and thankfully there is a download drop down menu that was in Moodle - to download all assignments.  Thank goodness!

Now - someone please fix the Moodle advanced forums so we can grade them appropriately.

In reply to Jared Stein

by Jit San Chia -
You can go to "Files" under "Administration" block, there you will see a folder named "moddata". There's an "assignment" folder inside "moddata". Go in further and you will find various folders with numbers as their names. They contain all the students' submissions according to assignments. You just need to find the one that you need and copy it.

Hope that helps : )
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jit San Chia

by ben reynolds -
That's good info, Jit San Chia. The next questions are:

1. how to download all the files at once (like FTP or something)
  2. how to find the place where the numbers are matched to the name of the uploader (students, typically), so you can map the files to the students.
In reply to Jit San Chia

by Brent Phar -
That works perfectly. For an entire class assignment to travel with I will add a little to that:

* Files
* MODATA
* Assignment

At this point you will see the assignment numbers (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, etc)
* click on the box next to the assingment (check mark)

Goto "with chosen file..." and select ZIP and name it. You will go back to the files window and now see a zipped file.
* click on the file name and save to your computer.

You now have a zipped file of all the assignments ready to be graded.
All the assignments are in folders by their enrollment into moodle number.
I help me out when I do this I have the students use a specific file name structure:

Location.period.assignment_name (example: A1.3.poster.svg)

** all my computers are numbered like a spreadsheet; column and row.

I hope this helps.

Brent

In reply to Brent Phar

by John Molendyk -
The best way that I have found to do this is:

When you create the activity, use Assignment "Advanced Uploading of Files".

You can then limit the students to only upload 1 file, but it allows you to upload a file as a response. Assuming you are using word or excel, you can then add comments to the file and upload the file to the students.

How this works for offline marking:
1) In Administration/Files find moddata/assignment and then the assignment you are marking (the number is not very intuitive, but they are usually sequential). Select the assignment and choose Create a zip archive.
2) download and unzip the archive on your local computer.
3) in each assignment there is a folder for each student. Open the student folder and you will see their uploaded assignment. If you create a sub-folder here called responses, then anything that you place in that folder will be provided to the student as feedback.
4) you can then zip up the same folder that you downloaded and upload to moodle. When you extract the files into the same directory all of the comments from your marking will be available to the students
5) the only issues with this are: you need to have the students identify themselves in the document that they submit and you cannot assign grades easily to the students.

Example:
I download a zip file that has the following structure:
- assignment
---------------- johndoe.doc
---------------- marysmith.doc

I can then create the following and upload
- assignment
---------------- johndoe.doc
---------------- responses
--------------------- johndoemarked.doc
---------------- marysmith.doc
---------------- responses
--------------------- marysmithmarked.doc

In reply to John Molendyk

by Jessica Gramp -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Plugin developers
Does anyone know if there is a way to do this in Moodle 2?
In reply to Jared Stein

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Here's how to download all student assignments as one zip file:

http://moodurian.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-would-you-like-to-be-able-to.html

Frankie Kam wink

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you go to the assignment settings, you have the option "download all submissions" :

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Another way I like to do this is to use an extension for FireFox called Down Them All. It has the advantage of downloading just the files on a grading page which is controlled by your visible groups. It will also let you specify which file types to download if you are using multiple file types in an assignment and only want to look at a certain type. An added advantage is it works for ANY version of Moodle.

(Another GREAT extension for FireFox if you have ever lost text when typing online like this, is Lazarus Form Recovery.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Cris Fuhrman -

This is an awesome feature, since the files are in one zip and they're prefixed with the names of the students. Often students forget to put their names in the files they upload, and I found this wonderful with the class of 50+ students recently. tongueout

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Barbara Taylor -

We are having problems downloading all with 2.5.1  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  We have tried in Chrome, Firefox 26, and IE 9.  The screen goes blank after about 20 seconds and nothing happens.  We are trying to download 49 Word document submissions that are small in file size.

Barbara