Project module add-on: Re: Project Module - Standard Assessment Scales?

Project module add-on: Re: Project Module - Standard Assessment Scales?

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Tom Robb wrote:
Concerning assessment, for me, I would only want the students to do
assessment, not create assessment tasks. The scales that are used for
assessment should not be unique to this module, but rather should use
the scales already built into Moodle along with Moodles current
functionality for adding new scales. There is no need to reinvent the
wheel here.

Concept: The difference of the standard and custom scales in Moodle and the assessment task in the Project Module is that in the Project Module each scale is attached to a criteria. A criteria is the unit to be analyzed, for example, the number of graphics in slide show, the posture of a speaker, the quality of the topic sentence, or the appropriateness of information. Under each one of these criteria is a different scale. Does Moodle do that anywhere? I think there has been talk of "rubrics" (meaning what I call criteria), but nothing came of it. I also think that the Workshop Module also has criteria with scales, but these are not sharable across modules to my knowledge. If the Workshop Modules' criteria/scales can be shared, then we should look into linking with that. In the meantime, we need our own system and hopefully standard Moodle will copy it and share it. Maybe we should start or join another discussion on this topic of assessment in Moodle.

I use 5-10 criteria with unique scales in all of my projects. Since projects are often assessed twice (once as a file only, and once as a performance-presentation), thus my students will get up to 20 different criteria/scales. See my current project module here with about 5 criteria (enrolment key= icczemi)... http://elearning.sgu.ac.jp/mod/project/view.php?id=988
And also see my attached some essay assessment forms which are paper-only now, but could be moved to the Project Module. Notice on this paper form, each assessement criteria has its own comment box, which I use a lot. It saves time not to have explain which issue I am refering to. Should we do that in the Project Module? Instead of just a general comment box?

Interface: The issues with assessment I am having are all with the interface. That is a problem because it is clumbersome to view. The assessment criteria are way down the right side of the screen. So I am constantly scrolling up and down to see the file, then scroll down to mark the criteria. We need to somehow condense the scales to about 25% of the current space they are taking. Also the comment box can be moved under the file viewer window, for better visibility instead of at the end of all the criteria.

Finally, when I view a file, for some reason it does not always show up in the file viewer window, but in a separate window. Maybe that is my browser setup or my choice when popup windows ask me what to do with a file. I get confused and unsure what to say.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Project Module - Standard Assessment Scales?

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
How does the Project Module assess students?

In project-based learning, there are often multiple self-assessments, peer-assessments and teacher assessments. One example is a research essay done in three drafts (see attached file on first post of this thread). Online we try to duplicate this system, and allow as many assessment cycles desired.

Assessment Sets: typically 5-10 assessment criteria. For example, essay introduction, essay length, essay format. The "set" has a title and could be reused and shared as a set.

Assessment Criteria: each criteria has 3-5 checkpoints/items which have descriptive and numeric properties (see attached).

Checkpoint Comments: these comments tell the student exactly what they must change to improve their grade in the next assessment cycle. I do three cycles in my English writing class. I allow even more cycles if students want to improve their grade--theoretically up to 100%.

Overall Comments: usually a short comment like "Excellent!"

Total Scores: we have three types of scoring
  • self-assessment
  • peer-assessment (averaged)
  • teacher-assessment
Weighting: Percentages for weighting each type of score are set in the Assessment task/submodule within the Project Module.

The main problem we have is that the current Moodle assessment scales do not have...
  • both descriptive and numerical scales to each criteria
  • comments by criteria item
  • total summary grade
  • naming of sets of criteria
  • systems for self and peer assessment
  • saving and sharing of sets across course and site