First Class Setup Problem

Re: First Class Setup Problem

by Jonathan Dickmann -
Number of replies: 8
I ran into the same problem. From what I can tell, the module was *almost* updated properly. Here are the files and lines that I changed to get back the full functionality of this module.

I just upgraded from 1.4.3 to 1.6.5 to 1.8.2.

moodle/auth/fc/auth.php (mostly port -> fppport fixes):
Line 91: $fpp = new fcFPP($this->config->host, $this->config->port);
Fixed: $fpp = new fcFPP($this->config->host, $this->config->fppport);

Line 124: $fpp = new fcFPP($this->config->host, $this->config->port);
Fixed: $fpp = new fcFPP($this->config->host, $this->config->fppport);

This is the one that fixes the "Host" error with saving data.
Line 227: set_config('host', $config->user, 'auth/fc');
Fixed: set_config('host', $config->host, 'auth/fc');

moodle/auth/fc/fcFPP.php - this fixes connection error messages:
Line 53: print_error('auth_fcconnfail','auth', array($errno, $errstr));
Fixed: print_error('auth_fcconnfail','auth', '', array($errno, $errstr));

Lastly - and this one is entirely cosmetic (fixes printing a double colon):
moodle/lang/en_utf8/auth.php
Line 125: $string['auth_fchost_key'] = 'Host:';
Fixed: $string['auth_fchost_key'] = 'Host';

I'm attaching copies of the files I modified.

Everything worked for me after I fixed the fppport typos but in the process I tracked down the host-saving issue and a problem with the error messages.

Hopefully this helps somebody. smile

Jonathan
In reply to Jonathan Dickmann

by George Cummings -
Jonathan

Your instructions and attached files fixed the issue. Thanks!!!!!!

George
In reply to George Cummings

by Dan Trockman -
Do these fixes repair the issue of FC module letting in anyone with the proper ID but incorrect password? Try it please on you system and reply.

Dan
In reply to Dan Trockman

by George Cummings -
Dan

They do not.....at least not on my system (1.8.2) OH NO!!!!

Is there a fix to this issue?

George
In reply to Dan Trockman

by Jonathan Dickmann -
Dan,

I forgot to mention in my previous post that when I went through and found the bugs I saw your posts and tested everything very thoroughly. On my system, at least - running 1.8.2 - I tried all of the following just to make sure you needed both ID and password:

With everything setup how I wanted it, I tried a test account created just for this purpose with the correct and incorrect password. Test passed.

I remember having trouble originally because my auth user wasn't a FirstClass sub-administrator. I revoked that privilege and tried the same test. To my surprise, my user was handled properly - ID and pass required.

I then changed my Moodle setup to use a different test user for the auth user. My test account was still able to log in properly.

On the off chance Moodle was caching the password or something I reverted to my standard fc_auth user and changed the password of my test account and tried again. Once again I was refused unless I had the proper ID & pass.

There was a time when a sub-admin couldn't authenticate another sub-admin. Apparently that time has passed. I elevated my test account to sub-admin status and tried again and still found no bug.

FWIW I'm running FirstClass Server v8.3 on a PowerMac G4 1.25Ghz/512 running Mac OS 10.4.8 and I'm running Moodle on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.0Ghz/2GB running Ubuntu "Edgy Eft." However, until recently I ran this same setup successfully with FirstClass Server v7.1, Moodle 1.4.x and FC on Mac OS 9 and Moodle on Mac OS Server 10.4.

It doesn't seem like the platforms have made much difference that I can see; the only real headache was upgrading to Moodle 1.8.2 with its broken fc_auth.

I will gladly run any test on my systems or check on any configuration option you would like. I'll also be happy to describe my system setups in detail if you think that might help.

Jonathan
In reply to Jonathan Dickmann

by Dan Trockman -
Thanks for you reply, we will make the changes you posted. Was the anypassword bug evident before your changes or is this an uncommon or strange occurrence I am having? Other seem to have the same issue, are the changes you suggest a total fix both for the cosmetic and the security issues?

Please email me if you need to.

trockman at gmail dot com
In reply to Dan Trockman

by Dan Trockman -
The fixes from this post did the trick. It solved all of our site issues with regard to FC and authentication. We did turn on command line for all users also but I do not know if that was part of the issue or not. Thank you Jonathon for the fixes, great work. I'll post a comment to the tracker on this issue fix.
In reply to Dan Trockman

by Dan Trockman -
But not quite. Our faculty can only log in with their proper FC passwords but students can still get in with any password. Ideas?
In reply to Dan Trockman

Ats: Re: First Class Setup Problem

by Martynas Adomavicius -
I have the same problem (users with FC ID can login with wrong pass, this fix don't work), can anyone explain solution ?
Moodle 1.95+