Consolidating Knowledge about Blackboard to Moodle Conversions

Re: Consolidating Knowledge about Blackboard to Moodle Conversions

by Bob Puffer -
Number of replies: 17

Luther College is a modestly-sized (2,500 FTE students) mid-western USA private college using Blackboard 5.5 for about 3-1/2 years. For the past 1-1/2 years we've been looking seriously at the open source community of CMS and have selected Moodle as the leading contender. A major critical success factor for this project is the ability to accurately convert Blackboard course data to Moodle, allowing for instructors to bring their desired courses along with them on the conversion road. We have spent great amounts of time researching and reading these forum posts and have determined to initiate a formal course data conversion project in collaboration with Linuxbox, a leading provider of outsourcing services targeted at the higher education marketplace.

The logistical approach we have chosen is fairly simple:

• Courses converted upon request of instructor by CMS administrative personnel
  • Not all Blackboard course data will be converted (for example, forum topics will, but forum threads will not)
  • There will be an understanding between the instructor and CMS administrative personnel that some additional work may be required of the instructor in order to place their course material in locations as desired.

The technical approach we have chosen was inspired by Jason Cole of San Francisco State University and details as follows:

• Blackboard exports in IMS 1.1 XML format will be processed by one XSLT 1.0 file which will output a Moodle XML backup file. A wrapper script will initiate the xml conversion and gather the course documents into a zip file. Restoring of the converted course to Moodle will complete the conversion.
  • Standard institution-specific information will be contained within the configuration of the Moodle into which the course is being imported.
  • Rather than the JAVA wrap used by Jason and his staff, we have chosen a PHP wraparound which uses the Sablotron XSLT processor to better integrate into Moodle should this code ever be placed into CVS.

The current status of this project is exploration/proof-of-concept. We have successfully converted basic Blackboard course information as well as course documents and forum topics using the XSLT methods described above. We have prepared a requirements definition and detailed design specification showing what will be done with what piece of information and are ready to engage the enemy.

We invite input and collaboration from all who are interested in this approach with a humble realization that this type of effort has been attempted numerous times with mixed results. For our part, we make the following commitment:

• We will communicate frequently with this forum and also make formal updates on the progress being achieved in this endeavor at intervals not to exceed every two weeks.
  • Alongside that, we will make the most current operational version of this conversion program available at intervals not to exceed every two weeks.

The current version of the program can be found at our Moodle test site (logon as "guest":

http://testmoodle.luther.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=23&edit=off

<>It is fully-functional within the constraints mentioned above and requires no other software to test.
Regards
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -
Just a note I failed to include inside the 30 minutes -- both the current PHP code and the current XSLT code are posted below the link to the utility mentioned in my previous message.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -
As promised here's and update to our progress in Blackboard to Moodle course conversion:
  1. Current iteration converts Blackboard 5.5 (and some Blackboard 6.x) exported course information, course content, announcements, staff information,  assignments, external links and forum topics into Moodle topically oriented sections in a Moodle 1.4.1 course site.
  2. INTERFACE for the utility (if downloaded and installed on your system) will allow the operator to seamlessly "restore" a Blackboard export without any other steps just as though it were a Moodle course backup.
  3. NEXT STEPS are to work on any course settings in Blackboard that may be reasonably convertable and then look at integrating the work done by others on quizes and surveys, if possible.
This is a project sponsored by Luther College in collaboration with The LinuxboxAdditional forum discussion is available on the Moodle.org topic -- Backup and Restore. 
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Steve Evraire -
Hi Bob. I went to the Luther College site but am a bit confused. I would like to convert my BB5.5 courses into Moodle 1.5...on your site I can't really do much as "guest". What do I need to do?
In reply to Steve Evraire

by Bob Puffer -
The BB5.5 -> Moodle conversion is now part of core Moodle code.  Steps are:
  1. Export BB 5.5 course (IMS 1.1 format)
  2. Upload exported BB zip file to Moodle site
  3. Restore BB zip file like any other Moodle course backup zip

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Peter Campbell -
Bob - any idea when this might be available for later versions of Bb? We are running 6.2.23

Thanks.

Peter
In reply to Bob Puffer

by shalin patel -
Hi bob.
   I am currently working on your tool to integrate quiz,usr data and course structure into existing bb to moodle XSL. I work for i-learn (san francisco state university's moodle LMS). SFSU has a number of teachers who use blackboard and want to move to moodle. Right now we are using our own tool for conversion. But since Blackboard and moodle version are changing frequently we decide to go with your tool only after we can fix all shortcoming with your tool. currently i am trying to add code for imporing BB quiz into moodle. But still i need your assistance as i am new to xslt. As per your posts there are some issues with the existing tools required to be solved. Can u tell me are you still working on this tool and can you give me your specification or plan of action to solve issues with the tool? Can i contact you personally to discuss this problem?

I will be very thankful to you if you help me to solve this issue.

Thank you
Shalin.
In reply to Bob Puffer

Blackboard to Moodle Conversions - for Bb6+

by Lane Grann-Stahl -
Bob,
Here at CPCC in Charlotte, NC we are currently using Bb 6.3.1.505 and the pressure is on to convert Bb courses for uploading into Moodle. 
What, please, is the status of a Bb 6+ conversion tool?  If no single tool is yet available, are there tools for converting chunks of content, e.g., quizzes, forums, resources, etc. ? 
Anything to minimize copying and pasting or uploading individual documents!
Best regards,
Lane
In reply to Lane Grann-Stahl

Re: Blackboard to Moodle Conversions - for Bb6+

by Michael Penney -
Hi Lane, here at Cal State, Humboldt, we built a BB 6 quiz pool importer that pulls in quiz questions.

We are currently using SFSU's present, Java based converter, though courses still need a good deal of work. We have a part time student assisstant who has converted about 300 of our HSU courses over the past month or so using the SFSU tool (which was pretty easy to install). Then the courses need some work as the tool has some problems with labels and some other content, and it's present interface is time consuming to use.

Other things we are doing is compressing powerpoints and other files as we go, and merging some collections of BB resources into Books or Lessons, which provides a cleaner content flow.

I have some links in the article I wrote here: http://cdc.humboldt.edu/moodle/mod/netpublish/view.php?id=39
In reply to Michael Penney

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Dear all:

Just a quick FYI. The SFSU Blackboard to Moodle Conversion Tool (originally done by Dina) is still up and running on one of our testing servers: http://welearn.sfsu.edu/ctt/ ). So far we are able to use this tool to convert fairly complex BB courses into Moodle, then use the most recent version of BB 6 quiz pool importer to pull in the quiz questions. We just lost two great student assistant programmers but when we have more man power we will continue to integrate these two tools to ensure better conversion. If anyone else is also working on this please let us know. Thanks!
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Dante Leon -
Wen,
I am joining this thread late and haven't seen much activity lately. I wanted to ask if the tool you mention will also convert Blackboard cartridges to the Moodle format.

Dante Leon
In reply to Dante Leon

by Kristy Rhea -
Dante,
Have you received any information about your post or have you found a tool that would do the conversion. If so I would be very interested in what you have learned.

Kristy Rhea
In reply to Kristy Rhea

by Dante Leon -
Kristy,
Sorry about my delay in responding, I was out of the office and just came back Monday.

I haven't gotten any feedback from my post. I am still interested in finding a Blackboard cartridge conversion tool though, but since my last post it has become less of a pressing issue for us. Some textbook publishers have started to develop content cartridges in Moodle, which is good news.

If I get any information I'll share with the forum.

Dante
In reply to Dante Leon

by Art Lader -

> Some textbook publishers have started
> to develop content cartridges in Moodle,
> which is good news.

Say, that really is nice to hear, Dante. smile

Do you think you might post a little more about that?

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Lane Grann-Stahl

by Bob Puffer -
The work that Michael Penney's group has done in quiz conversion appears to me to lead the way in that area.  I'm uncertain of the tool he's using for course data conversion as we always used the tool we developed for our conversions (BB 5.5 -> Moodle 1.4) which is now part of the Moodle core.  We're are not currently engaged in any further work on the conversion tool, but I'm staying abreast of the direction and forwarding comments like yours and Shalin's above to people I know who are also interested in a tool for BB 6.x -> Moodle 1.5x.  They may choose to engage in this forum, contact you directly or utilize outside resources to accomplish their objective.  Sorry I haven't got any additional help on this at this time.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -

I've just tested our conversion utility on a course created from a Blackboard course cartridge (7.5 MB export) and didn't come across any immediately noticeable errors.  Except for some minor tweaks, we're pretty much calling it a wrap and moving onto integrating quizzes into the conversion routine.

1. Current iteration converts Blackboard 5.5 (and some Blackboard 6.x) exported course information, course content, announcements, staff information,  assignments, external links and forum topics into Moodle topically oriented sections in a Moodle 1.4.1 course site.
  2. INTERFACE for the utility (if downloaded and installed on your system) will allow the operator to seamlessly "restore" a Blackboard export without any other steps just as though it were a Moodle course backup.

This is a project sponsored by Luther College in collaboration with The LinuxboxAdditional forum discussion is available on the Moodle.org topic -- Backup and Restore

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Leonhard Küllinger -
Hi,
i am working in pilotproject of the austrian (not australian) government for elearning in secondary school. We are working with blackboard 5 since 3 years and want to change with 9 schools to moodle next summer. Can you tell me how serious your importmodul works? This is a great argument pro moodle in our projectdiscussion. On the BB-server in vienna are 6000 useraccounts. So there is a lot of money in the license.

nice greetings from mounty austria

power on moodle and moodle becomes STRONG

In reply to Leonhard Küllinger

by Bob Puffer -
Leonhard,
We are planning on using the conversion module (in essentially its current iteration) to convert our BB 5.5 courses beginning shortly before January.  I would encourage you to hit the links noted previously in my postings and try it out for yourself.  The links refer to source and instructions.  When installed on Moodle it causes Moodle to transparently see our BB export as a Moodle backup file and allows you to restore it to a new course.  Issues left to be resolved after using this tool effectively include:
  1. Quizzes (our tool doesn't deal with these, we're looking at the issue presently)
  2. Doesn't import forum threads, just topics
  3. Doesn't import any user information, just course info so the instructor doesn't need to recreate from scratch in Moodle.
  4. We haven't done our work in Course Settings yet (minor) since it's been a back-burner issue.
Good fortune to you,
Bob Puffer