Very Happy With Network Experiments!

Very Happy With Network Experiments!

by Moodle Fan -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I've been experimenting with the new Moodle networking functions

1. The Wiki docs are really well written & detailed, thank you smile
  2. Most of my challenges (after the release ~18 hours ago) were to to lack of experience, not bugs.
  3. Overall, the Networking seems amazing, great job.
One or two possible bugs (I'm not sure if these issues are all known or not)...

With test accounts I'm able to roam & return back 'home' only if:
  1. I use the link at the upper right hand corner (ie. you are logged in as ___ from www.____) ,and
  2. The other site is on another server.
((Explained a bit more clearly))
  1. The 'Network Servers Block' returns a message "you are not authorized to begin a... ...from this site", even if I'm just trying to return to the 'home school'.
  2. The upper-right hand link works perfectly (to return home) when going back to a test site on another server.
When returning to a 'Moodle' placed in another directory (same server) the return home gives a message about an error 'logging in' & the (very fast) cure is a 'one click login' (since the browser helps remember the password)
  • I will test this (with two Moodles) on a different server to see if the issue is consistent.
A question also, please:
  • Will roaming always be restricted to starting at 'home'?
  • The links on the Network Servers Box tell end users "you are not authorized to begin a remote login from this site", (if you already 'roamed' once).
  • Is roaming supposed to be, or will it eventually be 'free and open' (if all sites have 'open door settings'...
  • ...or are 'field trips' always intended to start from home??
Your product and community is very inspiring!
I'm (just) a hobby-level 'geek' (but far from a PHP programmer) with a lot of respect for Open Source & I'm thrilled to see all the upgrades in Moodle 1.8

Thanks smile
MGH

happy kitty

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Moodle Fan

Re: Very Happy With Network Experiments!

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

it seems that there's not too much people trying the Moodle Network feature...

I try to test it, but it seems that i've the same problems you got.

Did you made other tests, with different servers ?

There's also one think in the Moodle Network doc i don't find on my moodle :

To use, in MoodleA go to Admin > Courses > Enrolment > Moodle Network -> Edit / Manage Network Enrolments and you will see MoodleB listed. Click on MoodleB and you will see a list of your users, and the courses that MoodleB offers for remote enrolment.

But when i go there, i see no "Manage Network Enrolments", just find the choice of the courses of my moodle, but not the courses from the other moodle...
In reply to Moodle Fan

Re: Very Happy With Network Experiments!

by Martín Langhoff -

Will roaming always be restricted to starting at 'home'? / are 'field trips' always intended to start from home??

For now, yes. And possibly forever -- your originating server is the only one that ever knows your password. This allows you to do mnet peering with Moodle installs that other people run, with no concerns that they might be stealing your users passwords.

It is a very important principle.

And also - you really want to educate your users to never use the username/password pair they use in "your" moodle in any other website that claims to SSO with you on their behalf.

Edit: This is definitely going to be a FAQ. Anyone up to get a MoodleNetworking FAQ started in the docs.moodle.org ?