Editing course - moodle 1.8

Editing course - moodle 1.8

by Dean Gostisa -
Number of replies: 29
i upgrade to 1.8, now when i click on edit on course page, i can edit only first excercise, not all excersises.

What is wrong, is this bug?

---------------------

It is already fixed, i download with cvs and it is ok now smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dean Gostisa

Re: Editing course - moodle 1.8

by Helen Burgess -
I have the same problem,
can you explain in detail how you fixed please?

In reply to Dean Gostisa

Re: All editing - moodle 1.8

by Matt Vernon -
Upgraded for 1.6 -1.8 and i think i have the same problem as above. When i click on edit (anywhere at any role even admin) everything to the right, no place to add resources or activities. It looks like it pushes everything right to infinity. Using firefox 2, tried other browsers. We checked the specs on 1.8 and our server has what is required. What are missing here.
In reply to Matt Vernon

Re: All editing - moodle 1.8

by Mark Burnet -
I have not seen this in 1.7 to 1.8 upgrades but am seeing it in 1.6 to 1.8 upgrades
I reported this as an issue in the tracker: MDL-9249

In reply to Dean Gostisa

by Matthew West -
Getting the same problem here...

We are using Moodle 1.8+, Solaris 10, Apache 2, MySQL 5, PHP 5.2.

After upgrading from 1.7+ to 1.8:
When anyone (teacher, admin) tries to use the Turn Editing On button, half of the blocks and all but the first excercise dissappear!

Upgraded 1.8 to 1.8+ today (5 mins ago):
Same problem.

I haven't updated to the new CVS, but continue to upgrade with the daily builds. Luckily this is just on a test server, but I thought I would post with my experience anyway.

Good Luck!
In reply to Matthew West

by Alison Wright -

Am also getting the same problem - anyone discovered a fix yet?

Upgraded dev server last night to Moodle 1.8 from 1.6.

In reply to Dean Gostisa

by Robert Ashcroft -

I have exactly the same problem. Upgraded from 1.7 to the latest stable (daily) release of moodle 1.8 today. Version Moodle 1.8 + (2007021502).

Have no idea what's causing the problem and other than here, I can't find any mention of the it or even how to fix it.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

In reply to Robert Ashcroft

by Robert Ashcroft -

OK, so I've done some more digging and other than the initial comment about the CVS I still can't find anything about this problem.

So I've followed instructions to download the CVS package it and distribute it to my server. Having finished the update I still have the same problem as before.

To ensure minimal disruption on my part I carried out a fresh install of the moodle folder structure and simply copied across my config file.

Still nothing, so if someone could shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

by Robert Ashcroft -

Right, I found the problem, well with my installation anyway.

After working through the various installations from a clean install to another upgrade, I found that the problem was linked the modules currently installed in my 1.7 installation prior to upgrade.

I had two modules that weren't transfered over when I upgraded from 1.6. Once I deleted both of them from within moodle, the edit now works.

Hope this can be of help to anyone else who is still having problems.

by Alison Wright -

Spot on, thanks Robert smile

We use the questionnaire module on our site and I hadn't gotten around to installing it.  Now that I've installed it, the site works fine - the 'Turn Editing On' works as it should now.

Thanks again!

by Kevin Ryan -
Thanks, Robert, that did it for me too. I had upgraded from 1.6 to 1.8, and the culprit was the ipodcast module. Once deleted, the Turn Editing On worked fine.
In reply to Kevin Ryan

by Jerry Brady -
I have the same issue with one of my installations after upgrading to 1.8

I found that some of the modules/blocks installed for 1.7 were the cause of some problems. I deleted the certificate module from the 1.8 admin, but I had already manually copied the side_bar and feedback modules from the 1.7 directory.

Moodle didn't complain and they appear in the admin, but I still have the problem of only the first item showing up when I turn editing on.

Any suggestions?
In reply to Jerry Brady

by Jerry Brady -
In reviewing my 1.8 installation, it appears that the only affected page is the main page. When I click "Edit This Page" from the front page of the installation, only the first item/block on the page is present and everything else is gone.

It isn't even possible to turn editing off as the header doesn't contain the proper link. I'm a very good coder, but not that familiar with the Moodle architecture, so I wanted to check here while I poked around.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

by Jerry Brady -
May this message find you in health and happiness.

After patiently trying to work through this issue, I finally found a reference in the admin under Activities to deleted modules. Once those were removed everything looks just fine.

My suggestion would be to add something to the release notes and/or installation instructions about how to migrate Moodle enhancements.

- Jerry
In reply to Jerry Brady

by Scott Grogg -
Jerry and everyone here...

I have been testing the upgrade process from version 1.54 to 1.65 and finally to 1.8 now for two weeks making sure of the entire process before the move our production server. Each time I made the upgrade from 1.65 to 1.8 I encountered the same issues as described above. After some investigation, playing around, and pulling a lot of hair out of my head, I can finally say that the the old modules that I had plugged in were the culprit! After going into the Activities area, seeing the incompatible modules, deleting them, and finalizing the upgrade process, I was able to get my test server fully working.

If you are having troubles like what has been described, then check for incompatible activity modules and then delete them! The process works. I agree completely with Jerry that this process should be described in detail in the installation instructions or release notes!

Scott
In reply to Scott Grogg

by Matt Gibson -
Same here - deleting ipodcast and internalmail worked perfectly.

Matt
In reply to Scott Grogg

by Stuart Anderson -
Yep. That would explain my problems too. I was only upgrading from 1.8 to 1.8+ and everything you report happened to me.

May be the upgrade process needs to be made more robust? e.g. if there are any unknown/missing blocks/modules/quiz questions etc detected, you should get a report at the end of the installation.

--Stuart.
In reply to Scott Grogg

by Brent Phar -
Thanks for your post!!!

I have done the same digging (ie time and stress) as you all, and your solution worked perfectly. This just happened to me upgrading from 1.8 to 1.9.

**Maybe this needs to be part of the install instructions somewhere, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel each time.

for 1.9:

1) http://YOURSERVER/moodle/admin

2) Modules
*Activities

3) Look for the ones without icons (mine were squares with a dot in the middle).

4) Delete

Thanks all,
Brent

In reply to Dean Gostisa

by Carolyn Kuhnmuench -

We have upgraded to 1.8 + and are still having problems.  Can anyone tell me how to determine which module may be causing the problem.

In reply to Carolyn Kuhnmuench

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Turn on debugging (under admin) and you should get some errors that will point you in the right direction. Peace.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Richard Enison -

AB,

This is the latest  of many posts I have seen in this forum talking about turning debugging on or off, setting it to ALL or DEVELOPER, etc. I tried to explain to another Moodler what this means in http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=71909#p322502, to save time because the one who originally mentioned it hadn't replied yet; in preparation for that, I tried to find ANY mention of the word debug (including debugging, debugger, etc.) in the Moodle docs, using the search box on a docs page. There was none whatsoever either explaining what it means to set debugging on, off, etc., or how to do so. The closest thing I found to a mention is http://docs.moodle.org/en/Release_Notes, which talks about a security feature implemented in version 1.6: "Default error reporting level was lowered to 5, E_WARNINGs are no longer displayed on production sites with debug off.", whatever that means.

EDIT: So I had to rely on earlier posts in this forum to try to ascertain what was meant, as you can tell from my post linked to above. (END EDIT) Please see that post for three guesses at what might be meant by turning debugging on, off, etc. in Moodle. Are any of them even close to what you meant, at least???

RLE

P.S. Please don't suggest I update the docs. As you can tell, I am no where near knowledgeable enough to do that.

In reply to Richard Enison

by Anthony Borrow -
Richard - Actually I took your message as a suggestion for me to update the docs (which I am not that proficient at) but I figure something is better than nothing. Check out

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Debugging

and let me know if that is helpful or if you have any further questions. Peace.

by Richard Enison -

AB,

Thx for the info, and for filling a gap in the documentation that desperately needed filling. Actually, I was not suggesting you update the docs, although I wasn't precluding that either. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't the one to do that because, in a previous thread in which I pointed out a problem with an existing doc page, someone suggested that I edit it (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=71693#p321960).

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Anthony Borrow -
Not a problem - I was surprised there was not more which was a good reminder to me that we all need to do what we can on documentation. I know that each of us does what we can to support Moodle. Thanks for being part of the community and calling attention to the lack of documentation. Peace.

ตอบ: Re: Editing course - moodle 1.8

by jintana imruksa -

Thank you verymuch for the good way to solve the problem  กัดฟัน

In reply to Carolyn Kuhnmuench

by Tamara Dakic -

Could it something else causing the problem? I now have only standard moodle modules and I still can't edit a course. I started with 3 non standard modules, but have since deleted them from the database and reinstalled Moodle 1.8.1.

Another problem I have is that when I am logged in as admin, and I look at a course and then click on the main Moodle bread crumb, the page is completely blank and have no other options but to log out and log in again.

Thanks,

Tamara

In reply to Tamara Dakic

by Tamara Dakic -

Never mind, I found another module (book module) that I forgot to delete. Everytning works now, except that I need to figure out what to do with modules that I deleted that were used in the version I am upgrading. I'll reinstall them and keep my fingers crossed...

In reply to Dean Gostisa

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I had the same problem and removing the Questionnaire module fixed it.

I wish I had time to debug what actually happened.