Databases: hosting moodle database on remote server?

Databases: hosting moodle database on remote server?

by kevin reddish -
Number of replies: 5
i am trying to host my moodle database on another redhat enterprise 4 server and it seems like its unable to connect after i update the config.php file.

has anyone done this successfully? if so, any insight or advice would greatly be appreciated.

thanks,

kevin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to kevin reddish

Re: Databases: hosting moodle database on remote server?

by kevin reddish -
update, i am trying to host it on a windows 2003 server running mysql. the powers that be wanted it to run on a central DB server that runs windows for some reason.

moodle runs great on redhat and with mysql. if its not broke, don't fix it, right? smile

by Robert Saari -

Kevin,

I run Moodle on Window's 2003 servers (both the web server and database server).  The only serious problems we've encountered are when an entire class launches a quiz at the same time - You can hear the server choking!  Everything else seems to do okay on Windows.

Because of this, we're looking to rehost Moodle on a Linux box, but keep the database on a Window's box.

In reply to Robert Saari

by kevin reddish -
currently, its on a linux and i want to move the database to a windows box as you suggested. however, i get the infamous:

Error: Database connection failed.

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

i receive that error when i change my dbhost to the IP of the windows server. is this how you are doing it? just changing the dbhost to the ip of the windows server hosting the database?

thanks for you help!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Can you connect to the database from the command line on the linux box?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/connecting-disconnecting.html

It is probably worth getting that working first, before brining Moodle into the equation.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by kevin reddish -
thanks tim. i cannot get to it, i get the "cannot connect" error. thanks. i did not think it was a moodle problem and am glad you helped clear that up for me. i did not know of that command you sent me, many thanks.

kevin