Cross-listing courses

Cross-listing courses

by Egons Jurgevics -
Number of replies: 5
Hello,

We are using WebCT CE 4.1 and now we are planning to migrate to moodle. As far as i have checked moodle it covers the main WebCT functionality.

But i am a bit concerned about cross-listed courses. In WebCT cross-listing courses means one master course for the content and any alias courses with exactly the same content. If a teacher changes the content of the master course, it is changed in the alias courses, too (as it is the same content linked). Each course has different set of students and the students from different courses can not see each other.

We are using many cross-listed courses to separate different student groups and are trying to find similar functionality in moodle.

I checked the moodle meta-course feature but it just supports the auto-enrollment of the users from child courses to meta course (parent). Each course has its own content.

Is it possible to have several courses with the same content in moodle 1.7.1?
Has it been planned to develop something like this in the (near) future?

Egons Jurgevics
University of Latvia
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Egons Jurgevics

Re: Cross-listing courses

by Steve Power -

I am not sure as I do not use WebCT but I suspect you may be able to achieve the same effect in Moodle by setting up a single course with "separate groups" which cannot see each other or each other's activities.

As this would be a single course any change in content would be there for all groups. 

Hope this helps
Steve

In reply to Steve Power

by Egons Jurgevics -
Thanks Steve,

this is almost what i was looking for. The problem is that we use our own SIS for managing enrollments (CSV file upload) and the SIS knows only which students should be enrolled to which courses but does not know anything about the groups in the courses. In the WebCT case Master and Aliases all are courses but in moodle i will have to enroll a user to a course's group. I guess we will have to redesign our SIS a little bit to fit moodle.

Egons

by Rick Barnes -
You can upload Groups using CSV upload whan you create your users. I have't used it for more than that but you can add users to courses and groups. You will need a course name, instead of making a new section in your sis for the group you could try using your (course name) as the group name and inserting a column for the (moodle course) name which might me easier than moving existing data.

Rick.
In reply to Steve Power

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have a different situation, but I am wondering of a metacourse would be helpful. What I have done for teachers that teach different sections of the same course is that I create a metacourse for the teacher and also individual section courses. The metacourse enrols the section courses and I create groups for each section to keep the management of assignments, etc. separated but in a common place for the teacher. This approach has worked well. To avoid student confusion, I simply hide the section courses so that they only see the metacourse. It takes a little setting up but once done this may accomplish what you are after (if I understood your request). Peace.

by Étienne Rozé -
I am developping with an other french moodler a new resource type to make links between resources : see here and here (in french)
Resources (only text or html) can be display in an other course ( with the correct environnement) but modifications can be only make in the origin course.

Why not imagine automatic procedure which make "alias cource" from a "real" course ? This procedure create a course, create links to origin resources and create the same activities that in the origin course.