Dissatisfaction with Blackboard at UPenn

Dissatisfaction with Blackboard at UPenn

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Number of replies: 6
The University of Pennsylavania student newspaper has an article which is generally critical of Blackboard.  One of the comments suggests looking at Moodle as an alternative.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Re: Dissatisfaction with Blackboard at UPenn

by Bryan Williams -
Hope the geniuses behind the latest drive to create e-Portfolios read this!
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

If you read it closely, it's more a teacher/student problem then a blackboardproblem.

As the "inspirer for IT-integration gemengd gevoel" on my school I have the experience that it is difficult to show the additional value of an CMS to an ordinary filesharing or hot potatoes system. But ... filesharing is a good start. 

Anyway, our students love Moodle and once one teacher in a class starts using it, the students encourage other teachers to use it too.

I would love to see the more advanced features as the lesson, glossary, workshop used more often, but a lot of teachers are a little bit scared of the complexity of those modules (how do they come to that idea glimlach?) I think the writing of the How To's will be getting more and more urgent as more and better modules are developed. People like to read before starting to experiment and need some paper to fall back when the going gets tough.

When the wiki is ready to start, that could be a good way to develop how to's. In the mean time I found a collegue who is willing to translate Matt's Manual to dutch.cool

In reply to koen roggemans

by Ray Lawrence -

If you read it closely, it's more a teacher/student problem then a blackboard problem.

I must confess that it seemed that way to me too. I think this is just a reminder that introducing new ways of working require much more than deciding upon some software, installing it, doing some initial training / marketing and then expecting everything to fit into place without continual support, marketing and enthusiasm fromthe sponsors.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Bryan Williams -

...continual support, marketing and enthusiasm fromthe sponsors.

And there were many amen's from the choir!

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Sean S -

Inertia is a big problem when it comes to innovation in the classroom. I'm going to be going it alone when I get my moodle up. Only my classes will be online with online components. The rest of the teachers here are technophobes and the director is happy to plod along in the jurassic age. (some of the computers here are still on windows 95)

Once vacation begins at the end of June I will be installing and setting up my moodle. Right now I'm a little busy with my classes as well as writing essays for graduate school.

In reply to koen roggemans

by W Page -
"People like to read before starting to experiment and need some paper to fall back when the going gets tough." koen roggemans

I agree.  Especially scary non-programmers like myself. smile

WP1