Migration from Angel

Migration from Angel

by Clark Moodler -
Number of replies: 12
Does anyone have any ideas, info on migration from Angel to Moodle?

Would the main way to import courses from other LMS's be IMS packages and SCORM?

thanks in advance,
clark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clark Moodler

Re: Migration from Angel

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Clark, you'd really need to ask the Angel people about that.

Moodle courses may not map 1 to 1 with any other systems ... if Angel don't support Moodle directly already then it may just be best to copy of any data in as raw a format as you can get and rebuild the course using Moodle tools.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Michael Penney -
Hi Clark, does Angel produce a course archive (a file with all the content/data for a single course)? If this is in XML format, it may be possible to create a converter.

You may also want to create a custom course format that more directly maps to Angel's format.

by Michael Feldstein -
I would try an IMS Content Packaging export first. ANGEL is very good about importing those files; one would hope that they're good about exporting as well. Likewise, I believe that Moodle's import capability is pretty good. As always, you'll probably have to go back in and massage the import to take best advantage of the particular LMS (in this case Moodle).

by Clark Moodler -
Wow, all replies from my Dream Team! thanks!

Turns out Angel can export as an "Angel archive" or an IMS package.
IMS ends up being the winner.

Thanks again.
clark

by Allan Hernandez -
Angel can export as IMS but this doesnt include quizzes and message boards. You need to recreate them in Moodle.

We are also planning to move from Angel to Moodle. Will let you know how this works out.

Regards,

Allan
In reply to Allan Hernandez

by Craig Lugenbeel -

Would anyone care to share with us the reasons and research behind their decision to migrate from Angel to Moodle? We are evaluating migrating from to Moodle, Sakai or Angel.

by brian witherow -
We exported our Angel courses as LMS packages - but are finding that the lms files are too large to import into moodle. Any thoughts on how to get this to work?
In reply to brian witherow

by Matt Campbell -
You will need to have sufficient access to the system hosting your Moodle install to do this. If you don't have it, you'll need to get it or involve the people who do.

Look for the course id in Moodle (http://YOURSITE/course/view.php?id=xx)

Go to your moodledata directory, then to the number of the course id.

Copy the file you want to import into the backupdata directory - if it doesn't exist, you may have to create the folder. Make sure www-data has permissions to read and write to the folder.

You should then be able to import the file.

You can also use the site files directory for this, but it would be better to use the course directory.

Thanks,
Matt

In reply to Matt Campbell

by Tim Barnhart -

I'm having trouble importing an Angel IMS package into Moodle and was wondering if anyone had an example of an Angel IMS zip file or imsmanifest.xml that I could use to compare mine? My Angel courses are pretty simple - just a bunch of folder and link objects.  A colleague of mine has the specs on versions of Angel and Moodle, along with the Moodle setup info, so I don't have that handy, but can provide if if needed.  I think my problems are more content than process related at this poit.

Thanks,

Tim

In reply to Tim Barnhart

by Clark Moodler -

I wonder if anyone is working on an Angel IMS import tool, similar to the WebCT CE4 course import tool? (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=94)

Also, that webct tool has its own section in the tracker (http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=10033&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=10308) - so perhaps an angel import tool could arise there.

Tie that all in with the discussion about what Angel users would like to see in Moodle - http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=123437  - and voila...

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Clark - This sounds like a nice feature request in CONTRIB. I'm not sure who might be willing/able to work on it but it would be a great tool to have. I guess the first question to answer is in what format does Angel backup the data. Once we have that we can start working on translating things into Moodle. Let's keep this discussion going to see what matches up easily and identify what might be lost or need to be mapped to something similar. I have very little familiarity with Angel but I am confident that working together as a community we could come up with at least a rudimentary import tool. Peace - Anthony

by Peter Friesen -

Hi Clark:

In the spirit of shameless self-promotion, I thought I'd mention here that my ANGEL-to-Moodle conversion program (rumoured at the SUNY CIT 2010 conference) has landed a home of its own. It'll batch process a mixture of ANGEL 7.3 and 7.4 archives and return Moodle 1.98 backup files. It'll also fix many of the ANGEL-IMS-CC issues that many people have run up against. You can find it, along with documentation and license information at http://www.conversionthingy.net

Peter