New Quiz Question Type - Content Choice

New Quiz Question Type - Content Choice

by Andrew Johnson -
Number of replies: 6
Hello,

Don Hinkelman and myself have been working on a new quiz question type called 'Content Choice.'

We think we've got the main bugs worked out for Moodle 1.6 and 1.7. It can be downloaded here: http://englishforum.sgu.ac.jp/downloads/

The content choice question type is used when answers are included as part of a sentence or passage of text found within the question. One common use of the question type would be:

Which of the following would need to be changed to make this sentence correct?
The quickly brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

a) quickly
b) jumped
c) over
d) the lazy dog

This is very common question type on TOEIC and TOEFL exams (actually I've heard the new TOEIC is going away from this question type). However, many other uses are possible and are only limited by the teacher’s creativity. For example, a teacher could include a paragraph and instruct the student to find the topic sentence. (Please share your ideas for using this type of question, too!)

It should be noted that this type of question could be made with the multiple choice question type. However, the advantage of this question type is that it offers the teacher input techniques that can save valuable time.

Here is a screenshot from the preview:
content choice question example

The content choice question type is found in the list of question types.
question type

Creating questions for this question type takes two steps. 1) Question Input and 2) Feedback Input

1) Question Input
In the Question Field, put [ ] around any sections of text that are INCORRECT choices and { } around the CORRECT choice. One set of { } and a minimum of one set of [ ] must be included. For example:
The {quickly} brown fox [jumped] [over] [the lazy dog].

The computer will automatically set the answers based on these tags. The teacher can also add a default response for incorrect feedback.

content choice create question

Clicking the "Save Question Changes" button only affects the content above the save button.

2) Feedback Input
After the Question changes have been input and saved, the teacher can modify the feedback of the choices as well as the Grade assigned. The answers can NOT be modified here - only in the Question area.

There are two Save buttons for this section. Clicking "Save Feedback changes" saves the feedback data and returns back to the main quiz edit page. Clicking "Save Feedback changes and return" saves the feedback data and returns back to the same question edit page.

content choice feedback

Clicking either of the two Feedback buttons does not change any question data.

About the end result
*Any section surrounded by [ ] or { } will automatically be underlined.
*The answers will be presented to the user in order they are found in the question.

And if you want to try it, use teacher/teacher as the username/password

It may take a little playing around to get the hang of it, but once the process of question creation is down things can move pretty fast!

We welcome any suggestions, problems, etc....

Andy
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Johnson

Re: New Quiz Question Type - Content Choice

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Andrew,
I'm looking forward to testing your new question type. However, when I go to : http://englishforum.sgu.ac.jp/downloads
and I click on the contentchoice 2007 0..> link, I get this error message:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /downloads/contentchoice_2007_03_13-M1.6_M1.7.zip on this server.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at englishforum.sgu.ac.jp Port 80
Josephsad

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Andrew,

Just tested your new Content Choice question type in Moodle 1.7.1+.

Installation works OK. The only problem is that one has to overwrite one's current distribution of lang/quiz.php file in order to add your various contentchoice strings. This is a real problem for any new question type.

I found it quite easy to create a new content choice question.

You say "this type of question could be made with the multiple choice question type. However, the advantage of this question type is that it offers the teacher input techniques that can save valuable time."

I am not convinced that using ContentChoice saves much time over using the standard Multiple Choice question type. Maybe it would save time if I had lots of such questions to author, I can't tell. As it stands, ContentChoice can hardly be called a new question type. It would be more interesting (but, of course, much more difficult to program) if the various underlined "hotwords" in the text were made into clickable "hotwords", rather than being "inactive" underlined words and being "repeated" in the traditional MCQ a,b,c,d, format underneath.

At the moment it is not possible to export/import ContentChoice questions in Moodle XML format. This is another problem with new question types, you'll have to hack the XML format file in order to provide that facility.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andrew Johnson -
Hi Joseph,

Thank you very much for all of your comments. I'm glad installation went OK. You mentioned the problem of having to overwrite the lang/quiz.php file. Yes, I agree that that is a problem. You also mentioned that is wasn't exportable/importable in XML format. If you have any suggestions for these matters, I'm all ears. Is Moodle working on making it easier for creating new question types?

You said that you were not convinced that the content choice question type saves time. I have to disagree since the answers are automatically generated. This is especially helpful when making many new questions.

I like your idea for having "hotwords." I think this would be a good option to offer teachers - where they want answers to appear below the question or have them be clickable within the question itself. For me, having the answers underneath is important as this simulates a TOEFL type question and I want students to see the question like it is on the test. An option to let teachers choose which way the answers are presented would be the best of both worlds - perhaps we'll add that in a later version.

Thanks again for your comments - very helpful! smile
Andy

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, we are making it easier. In Moodle 1.8 the language and help files can go into question/type/contentchoice/lang/en_utf8/qtype_contentchoice.php, with any help files in the question/type/contentchoice/lang/en_utf8/help/contentchoice/ folder.

And I think I have just worked out a way to let question types provide a CSS and Javascript file (if they want to), which is linked in from the header of any page using a question of that type. (Similar to the way that modules can provide a styles.php file, if you are familiar with that.)

MDL-2727 tracks the other issues we are aware of that limit the ability to just drop in new question types.