Vista, Xampp and Moodle Installation Problem

Vista, Xampp and Moodle Installation Problem

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I tried last week to install Moodle on MS Vista, with Xampplite or Xampp and Moodle 1.7 and 1.8. In all combinations I got trouble while writing the config.php. The systems stopps without writing the config.php. I was logged in as admin on vista and had all rights to write file in the moodle folder.

The Moodle system works well after editing the confiog file manually. So I think its not a problem of Moodle, but in the rights management of MS Vista.

I checked the apachefriends /Xampp forum but didn't find any solutions. It seems that several features of xampp are not working under Vista (like portcheck).

If you have any idea whats the reason and a solution for this problems please post it here.

Ralf

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Vista, Xampp and Moodle Installation Problem

by Douglas Peterson -
I have xampp running on Vista, but when I download Moodle, I can not get it installed. First of all it seemed to take forever to unzip, and then when it did, I got past the choose language, and the location pages, but then, I get a white screen with nothing on it, and a Done. There is nothing there....
In reply to Douglas Peterson

by Douglas Peterson -

Just some background info:

Running latest Xampp, so Apache and MySQL on localhost

I am running it on a AMD Duo 4200 with a gig of RAM running Vista Home

At this point I am considering getting ride of VISTA, and rolling back to XPPro, or even Ubuntu Linux

I have it already running on an XPPro laptop, and it went much easier, and that machine is a Celeron with 1/2 a gig, and it went flawlessly.

by Jeff Wood -
Douglas,

I too have tried to install moodle on Vista. No luck 9directly).

I kept XP Pro and have a dualboot system. I installed moodle under XP and then ran it from Vista (after running xampp) and everything works well. big grin

Jeff

As an aside - Vista has many nice features... but I kept XP just in case.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Douglasd,

at first you have to be an admin in vista. Did your system stop at the same place like mine? (Creating the config.php).

I could work with vista without any further problems when I edited the config.php manually.
This is the way: rename the config-dist.php to config.php. Add your settings for database and the place for your moodle system on PC and the URLs.

Ralf
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by ayseli aktas -

Hi Ralf en Douglas,

Did you seem to solve your problems with Vista? I am asking it because I am also trying to manage with this problem.

When I try to install moodle on my vista i get the following,

Choose language => english => next

Checking your PHP settings => passed => next

Please confirm the locations of this Moodle installation => next

and then a get a white page and nothing happens. while this is happening the xampp_start.exe turns to a empty black page.

I had installed moodle earlier on a xp and none of these happened then.

Can someone please help me smile