How do Science Teachers Use Moodle?

How do Science Teachers Use Moodle?

by Jessica Brogley -
Number of replies: 23

Firstly, I'm an English teacher...so Moodle seems very natural to me. In early June I'm helping some science teachers use Moodle. If feel comfortable with Moodle, but I want to make sure I adapt this towards them. If you're a science teacher, can you help me here. I have some questions:

1. What features do you find yourself using in Moodle frequently?

2. Do you have any interactive favorite websites you have kids use in Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jessica Brogley

Re: How do Science Teachers Use Moodle?

by Sherry Brown -
This is my first year with Moodle. Prior to this, I had a fairly static website -- straight html with my course materials, grades and links. It was clean, simple and fast. My students (then) were tech-savvy but now I have a less technologically inclined population. I've moved most of my things into Moodle and have been tossing about ways I will use more features next year.

The complexity of Moodle has been a challenge with this group. Part of this year's learning experience (for me) has been training the less technology savvy to use the site as a resource for our class. With Moodle I can now track their usage/access of resources. Moodle has let me turn the site into "one stop shopping" for resources -- the kids can log into the site, select the current unit (I love HSU Course Menu Block) and go to a site or take a review quiz (external link).

It's now March and my Chemistry kids are just recognizing the value of what the site can do for them. My Physics kids were there in October.

For next year, I'm planning on creating quizzes and the like within Moodle, rather than use external links (which are never *quite* what I want). Some will be for review - others for class grades. There was a fabulous thread on creative use of glossaries - I am *so* implementing some of those ideas! smile

I've uploaded a simulation or two and will do more next year. In the meantime, I used a few links to external sites. What I really appreciate is that Moodle can open the resource so they don't get lost navigating their way "back home." I use the Diagnoser.com for my Physics kids -- it diagnoses a student's misconceptions on Newtonian concepts -- it's a "must use." Even better, they are adding chemistry concepts as well. It's based on years of solid Physics Education Research. The PhysicsClassroom.com is a wealth of tutorial and animations from teachers at Glenbrook South HS (Illinois). I just link to the appropriate section. I have some simulations and animations both loaded and linked on the site. I have been adding them we go through the units of study. By the end of the year, I will clone the course and upgrade for Fall of 2007 (I'm on 1.5.4 now).

I use a forum for each unit of study to post photos of white boards used in class discussions - and the discussion is (often) followed up online. I need to work on this more. Next year I will have comments/grading on the forums to make sure the kids keep the discourse going. I've been a bit overwhelmed (the usual stuff - too many students, new school and dept. head) so this semester I've been slacking about the photos (12 per class, multiple wb sessions in a week). So, I may create a "white board of the week" forum.

I keep a log of class happenings for those who may have missed class and/or remind me next year of what we did this year. I'm a bit fuzzy on what I want to do with online assignments of various types- I need more time to think about it. I definitely need more time to wrap my brain around the "roles" function in 1.7 and beyond. By the time I am ready to upgrade, it could be 2.0 (gotta check the release schedule).

In addition, some of my colleagues hopped on to my site as a place to have grades posted on line. We use another program for that and upload the files. Several want to use Moodle in their classes for next year - we'll have the summer to work on that. Ideally, this will spread to the rest of the school - the digital photo/AP Art teacher wants to use Moodle. By then, the school/district will have to spring for the cost of the server/support. My webhost is generous but 1700 kids would exceed my quota in a heartbeat!

If your teachers would like to check it out, send me a message and I'll send you a ghost login for a non-editing teacher to see it from teacher mode.
In reply to Sherry Brown

by John Isner -
I've uploaded a simulation or two and will do more next year. In the meantime, I used a few links to external sites.

I think simulations are extremely important. You can never have too many of them! I agree that linking to external simulations is a problem. You get someone else's Web page, including confusing explanations and other distractions, and you can't track usage. It is preferable that the simulation appear in a context created and controlled by you (e.g., a Web page, Lesson or Quiz). As a first step, you can download the external simulation resource (Java jar file, say), upload it to your course, and embed it within the desired course context using an applet tag. This only changes the context. To change the behavior, the applet must be designed for reuse (e.g., physlets). If so, you can reuse them to construct your own simulations (a little javascript programming is required). To get tracking data back to Moodle, consider SCORM (again, a little javascript programming is required).

For next year, I'm planning on creating quizzes and the like within Moodle

It will be interesting to hear about the challenges you face doing this and how you overcome them. Will you import textbook questions to Moodle (e.g., via ExamView), or hammer them out yourself? If your quizzes contain only multiple choice or numeric questions, you're in luck. If your questions require the student to enter a (non-numeric) mathematical result requiring anything more than simple typewriter math input, it will be a challenge due to Moodle's lack of an integrated equation editor. I have tried a few workarounds, but have not yet found an ideal solution.

In reply to John Isner

by Sherry Brown -
Like I said, I hadn't thought too hard about the quizzing functions - but I do have recollections of following threads concerning graphics and mathematical entering. I was waiting until June to do that (how many more days?)wink

One thing I'm tossing about is something similar to homework services like the UTexas service. The problem with someone else's quiz is similar to someone else's simulations -- phrasing may not match (difficult for ELLs and native speakers alike), notation are usually slightly different. So, I haven't used them. This down side to these services -- it is only answer entering, entering things like free body or particle diagrams aren't possible (AFAIK). Somewhere I sawa Shockwave free body diagram applet -

I need the students to focus on the physics/chemistry not technology hurdles. Using paper and entering in final answers would give them some additional practice/feedback. The Ranking Tasks might be a possibility -- rank situtations (easy to grade) and explain your reasoning (find out what they were thinking - or not!). It's more formative assessment than summative - but my students appreciate the diagnostics of their learning.

Being a curricular pack rat, I have many sources of questions already in text files (both Chemistry and Physics) so creating GIFT files would be more time consuming than anything else. Yes, the Physics (like Math) has issues (more graphics and equation editing). I do have the Physlets book -- that was yet another summer project... (when do we teachers take time to recharge?!)
In reply to Sherry Brown

by John Isner -
Working on and off over the last year, I have managed to build a math question database with nearly 2000 questions. About half of them have graphics and virtually all use LaTeX markup. The questions are from many sources. I uploaded the questions in GIFT format (text and images uploaded separately). I have also integrated GeoGebra worksheets into quizzes.

I apologize for straying from the topic (science), but math and science teachers face almost identical challenges when using Moodle. Both use math, both use images, and both use simulations (commonly referred to as "visualizations" in math). I should add music teachers to the list, as well as teachers of any subject with its own special language or notation.
In reply to John Isner

by Fig Newton -
I teach physics and chemistry, so I understand how cumbersome it can be to code equations into moodle questions.

I've never been a great LaTEX user, I always find myself having to stop and look at examples. If the equation is simple enough, I will use the and tags to do a simple bit of equation formating.

For the more formidable stuff (such as providing four chemical equations for a Hess's Law problem, or a reference table of equations) I'll often use the equation editor in AppleWorks or Word. I then paste the equation(s) into a new document in Photoshop elements and convert it to a .jpg for the web. Then I'll reference the image in the question using html.

Maybe some summer I'll brush up on LaTex, but I'm more comfortable with visual editing. But an online course in LaTEX would be a great application of moodle!

Fig
In reply to Fig Newton

by John Isner -
All you need is a good LaTeX reference sheet like this one. Once you've looked up a symbol two or three times, you'll remember it. Unless you teach a wide range of math subjects, you probably don't need to know that many symbols anyway.

Another option is to use MathType to generate the LaTeX. MathType is a WYSIWYG equation editor that can be configured so that when you select the equation you've created and copy (ctrl-C), MathType puts LaTeX on the clipboard. Then you can paste the LaTeX into the Moodle HTML editor. There's also a free version of MathType called TeXaide, but it has a limited palette of symbols.
In reply to Sherry Brown

by jake stewart -
would you think about collaboration on the setting up of science teaching sites and course as i have been working on this ks4- ks3 ~( uk) this year would like to work with others to the same end

Jake Stewart Bassingbourn Village College
In reply to Sherry Brown

by Tracy Lowthers -

Looking for some chemistry moodle sites that I may look at in order to get a few ideas to start my own.  Can anyone help?  Just starting out - lots to learn! 

by wendy winnard -

I'm a chemistry teacher and am a firm advocate of moodle. Rather than explain what I use feel free to visit my course at

http://moodle.aquinas.ac.uk

username: visit1

password: visiting

My course is Chemistry Lower Sixth Wendy Winnard. You should be registered.

Wendy

In reply to wendy winnard

by Jessica Brogley -
THANKS MUCH to the both of you. When I have a chunk of free time I'm going to jump into this. I can't wait! smile I have a lot of anxiety about working with science teachers in that I don't necessarily understand their content. Seeing Moodle in action will help tremendously!

by Vinny Stocker -
Picture of Plugin developers

I teach Science UK KS3 and Chemistry GCSE, AS &A2. I do much the same but am very in to wiki pages, hot potatoes and Workshops.

Have a look  www.reviseguys.com

Vinny

In reply to Vinny Stocker

by david giles -

I use moodle to teach a computer repair course; plus a few other things.  If you would like to check it out feel free.  http://moodle.sad46.org and just sign in as a guest.  It is a work in progress so please don't criticize too much.  I love using moodle though.  The kids like it alot better than textbooks and paper test, it is easier for me to grade and track progress.  You name it there are benefits to it. 

In reply to Vinny Stocker

by geoff simpson -
Blimey - how easy is it to enbed that earthclock.  I teach DT but I WANT ONE OF THOSE!

by Ruchi Raina -
While searching thru Moodle forums, I came across your post and promptly checked your site to get a feel of a live Moodle site.

I am just starting with Moodle, and seeing such extensive and elaborate use of it assured me that I am on the right path. smile

I liked your addition of search boxes in your main page. I did like to do something similar on my site. How did you incorporate Google and wikipedia search boxes? Also, how did you create a monthly poll on the main page?

Thanks a lot,
Ruchi

જઃ Re: How do Science Teachers Use Moodle?

by Dr. Amitkumar Mali -
Hi Wendy,
I am doing my Ph.D. research work. I used moodle for my research. I designed two science courses using moodle. I found your post and I want to view your science course. I entered the username and password in the site but could not enter. Can you help me?

by Fig Newton -
I'm a physics teacher and I have been using moodle for four years.

I find that students put more effort into homework when they get instant feedback on whether they are doing the work correctly. I post much of my homework assignments online as quizzes, which students have four attempts to complete. I encourage students to email me if they are still having difficulty after the second or third attempt.

Last time I checked, I have something close to five hundred questions, about half with images.

I also list classwork using the weekly course setting. Links to applets or other websites. I post copies of my lecture notes. And I use forums to post updates concerning test dates, snow days, and other announcements.

Each summer I tinker with the site, trying to find my sweet spot. I would like to create a parallel course organized by topic with my notes converted to html. I'd love to find time to better chunk the information and use moodle to administer smaller "check your understanding" quizzes. Separating out my content from classwork would ultimately reduce my administrative overhead from year to year.

Fig

by Rebecca Scrivener -

I would recommend the science year website as a link now called planet science.

I find that the disscusion opportunities are the most useful but would like to explore the getting tests online option soon. As stated before this can be problematic if you are just a dedicated teacher but not that skilled at IT.

by Mark Guy -

Jessica, I have over 80 ks3 & 4 Science self marking hot potatoes homeworks you can use as is or modify or for idea's. (About 60MB) 

If you have somewhere I can upload them to, I could zip up my three ks3 courses complete ......

Mark

mg5@allsaints.notts.sch.uk

In reply to Mark Guy

by Marc Grober -
This is something I think we need to host at moodle much like the SCORM repository......

In the interim, I would be happy to serve those up from my host as I am way below my current bandwidth....

send me a moodle message and we can chat about setting up a transfer of some sort.

જઃ How do Science Teachers Use Moodle?

by Dr. Amitkumar Mali -
Hi all,
I am a research student doing my Ph.D. in the field of Web Based Instruction. My research area is Pre service primary teacher education specially science teacher. I want to visit some of the moodle sites related to elementary level chemistry and biology (animal adaptation) for my reserch. My only purpose is to know how all the activities and facilities given by moodle can be used to preapare a website for my Ph.D. study.
Can anyone help me by providing me links and access of moodle sites teaching science?
Thanks in advance.
Regards

Amit Mali
[M.Sc., M.Ed.]
Research Student,
Department of Education,
Bhavnagar University,
Bhavnagar
Gujarat
India
email: eguru.amit@yahoo.com
+919924232407
skypeId: amitrmali

by Rino Vincenti Hagn -

Here is a sample of some stuff that I made up for naming acids and bases.  Paste this in an embedded answer (cloze).  Make sure to press the <> button to switch to HTML first.

<div style="text-align: center;"><font size="5"><span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;">NAMING ACIDS AND BASES</span><br /></font></div><span style="font-weight: bold;">Choose the correct prefix and suffix of the acids and bases.<br />Type the central part of the name.<br style="font-weight: bold;" /></span><span style="font-weight: bold;">If there is no prefix, choose ------- or it will mark it as WRONG.</span><br /><br />HClO<sub>4</sub><br />{1:MULTICHOICE:~HYDRO~=PER~HYPO~-------} {1:SHORTANSWER:~=chlor#CORRECT~%0%.*#}{1:MULTICHOICE:~OUS~=IC} ACID<br /><br />H<sub>3</sub>PO<sub>4</sub><br />{1:MULTICHOICE:~HYDRO~PER~HYPO~=-------} {1:SHORTANSWER:~=phosphor#CORRECT~%0%.*#}{1:MULTICHOICE:~OUS~=IC} ACID<br /><br />HCl (aq)<br />{1:MULTICHOICE:~=HYDRO~PER~HYPO~-------} {1:SHORTANSWER:~=chlor#CORRECT~%0%.*#}{1:MULTICHOICE:~OUS~=IC} ACID<br /><br />HNO<sub>3</sub><br />{1:MULTICHOICE:~HYDRO~PER~HYPO~=-------} {1:SHORTANSWER:~=nitr#CORRECT~%0%.*#}{1:MULTICHOICE:~OUS~=IC} ACID<br /><br />HBr (aq)<br />{1:MULTICHOICE:~=HYDRO~PER~HYPO~-------} {1:SHORTANSWER:~=brom#CORRECT~%0%.*#}{1:MULTICHOICE:~OUS~=IC} ACID<br /><br />H<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub><br />{1:MULTICHOICE:~HYDRO~PER~HYPO~=-------} {1:SHORTANSWER:~=carbon#CORRECT~%0%.*#}{1:MULTICHOICE:~OUS~=IC} ACID<br /><br />HCN (aq)<br />{1:MULTICHOICE:~=HYDRO~PER~HYPO~-------} {1:SHORTANSWER:~=cyan#CORRECT~%0%.*#}{1:MULTICHOICE:~OUS~=IC} ACID<br />