Can I HIDE Marks: 0/1 on quiz questions?

Can I HIDE Marks: 0/1 on quiz questions?

by Brent Schlenker -
Number of replies: 37
I want to know if I can hide the Marks: --/1 that appears under the question number of each question?

Also, while I'm at it, what is the best way to keep the user from needing to scroll back down after answering a question? It seems that when they get to questions 3 and on the page refreshes after the user makes a selection and they are forced to scroll back down to find the next question. Is there a better way to display the quizzes that I am missing?

TIA,
Brent
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brent Schlenker

Re: Can I HIDE Marks: 0/1 on quiz questions?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
1- Brent: I want to know if I can hide the Marks: --/1 that appears under the question number of each question?

Any good reason why you would want to do this? It looks to me that the student is entitled to know the "value" of each question he has to answer.wink

2- what is the best way to keep the user from needing to scroll back down after answering a question?

I quite agree that page refresh after a response has been submitted ought to take the student to the question he has just answered (maybe not to the next question, though). See this thread.

Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Brent Schlenker -
Hi Joseph,
I agree with you...no good reason, really. I'm just certain that someone is going to ask me that question when I go to pitch MOODLE to senior staff. I'm trying to head off as many questions as I can before I present.
Thanks for the link to the other thread as well. I appreciate the response.
Cheers!
Brent

by Gloria Doherty -
We have a good reason for wanting to remove the Mark . . . depending on the design of the testing, this can be too much information. It may inadvertantly supply information that influences the answer.
In reply to Gloria Doherty

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Gloria > ...It may inadvertantly supply information that influences the answer.

I totally fail to understand how the Mark allocated to a question might influence the answer. Can you give real-world examples?

Joseph thoughtful

by Gloria Doherty -
Here's an example from one of our faculty:

On one exam I have a “select all correct answers” question; the students are given eight possible answers and are told to check all which they believe are correct. Only three are actually correct, but I don’t want to tell them how many are correct. Theoretically they might check 4 or 5, and I do state that incorrect answers will count against them (so they can’t simply check all eight). The “Mark: 3” alerts them (against my desires) that there are only three correct answers.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gloria Doherty

by Joseph Rézeau -
Point taken. Thanks for your answer.
Joseph

by Gloria Doherty -
Thanks for taking interest! Is it possible that we might see someone build a UI solution that allows Marks to be an option?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The simple way is just to edit the theme.

Add

.que .grade { display: none; }

However, this is not ideal, because sudents could get the grade by doing View Source in their web broswer.

A more complete solution is to go into the code in question/type/questiontype.php, and find where this information is printed, and get rid of it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gloria Doherty -
Thanks, Tim! We'll see if we can locate the code. The difficulty is pleasing some instructors while others would rather we leave it as is. It would be nice (but might be impractical) to build an option to turn Mark display on/off.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Which file do you edit, to edit the theme?

Or which line in question/type/questiontype.php do you edit?

In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

by Esquire Legal -
Bump...

Anyone able to answer this question?

by Tieku Bortei-Doku - Thursday, May 1, 2008, 10:18 PM

Which file do you edit, to edit the theme?

Or which line in question/type/questiontype.php do you edit?

There are any number of "good reasons" to remove the Marks. Among them is the fact that a user simply WANTS to remove them. Do we really have to justify the reason to anyone as Joseph Rézeau seems to demand?

For my purposes (Bar Exam Review course) the practice questions aren't actually graded. There is instant feedback given when a student selects the right answer, with unlimited attempts to do so. Therefore, the Marks are not only unnecessary, but are a distraction.

In reply to Esquire Legal

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Yes I was able to figure this out i.e. not show Mark --/    

Go to question/type/question.html and change

<div class="grade">
  <?php echo get_string('marks', 'quiz').': '.$grade; ?>
</div>

To:

<div class="grade">
</div>

by Joseph Rézeau -
Tieku,
Of course your hack will work... but it will mean that the Marks display will be removed for all the questions in all the quizzes in all the courses on a given Moodle site. If you have your own small moodle site and are the admin and have a few courses and want the Marks display to be removed everywhere, then this is OK.
For larger moodle sites or if the Marks display is sometimes wanted sometimes not wanted, a better, simpler solution is to set the Grade value of those questions to zero. Questions graded zero will not display the Marks: 0/1.
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg

by Esquire Legal -
For my specific purposes, there are problems with both of these solutions.

The first, although it does remove the marks beside each question number, still displays "Marks for this submission: X/1" at the bottom whenever an answer is selected.

The second, although it turns off marks completely, changes the way feedback is given. Since questions are now "ungraded" the program seems to presume that EVERY answer is correct and displays the feedback "for any correct response" whenever a right OR wrong answer is selected.

So, with this in mind, the first solution still seems best for me. I will NEVER need to show question values, so I don't mind turning off marks globally. In fact, I think this should be a setting option. Choosing to show marks or not is best understood as a pedagogical choice and should be user configurable in my opinion.

So, I figured out how to get rid of the "Marks for this submission: X/1" that displays at the bottom of each question...

In "moodle\question\type" edit "questiontype.php".

Delete the line:

"// print grade for this submission print_string('gradingdetails', 'quiz', $grade);[]" and the "Marks for this submission:" line will be gone from ALL quiz questions.

As Joseph pointed out, this is a GLOBAL setting and will change the display of ALL quiz questions... No more marks, ever. So, if this isn't what you need, find another less permanent solution.

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Joseph, you said:

set the Grade value of those questions to zero. Questions graded zero will not display the Marks: 0/1.

I tried it and it works. However our questions never have a grade or 0 (how does a student get marks for a question with a grade of zero?)

I would suggest the the quiz team make this a simple option, to display or not display the Marks according to the examiners preferences, then we do not have to do all this hacking.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Tieku and Joseph,

Wild idea. What about a custom theme? Is it possible to turn the div class 'grade' to white text in this theme? Then the professor can select that theme for their course. Be our luck that this class is used in all reports smile

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Chris,
That was Tim Hunt's idea in his post dated Tuesday, 20 February 2007, 07:49 PM.
So there are more than way to hide the individual questions score from the student. I tend to agree with the majority in this thread that this ought to be made a quiz setting, however.
Joseph

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Joseph,
No wonder, it was such a clever idea. I read it before and it became mine ! smile

A switch would be nice for others, but I like my people to be able to see how many marks they received (at least in 1.5) because sometimes we have to change a MC question so either of 2 answers are correct. In 1.5 only one of the answers shows the green bar. Some students get very competitive about their scores and those have learned to check their marks. When is my site admin going to UPGRADE!

Happy New Year!

Chris

by Edward MacDougall -
Hi everyone,

I made the change suggested here but I am still seeing the "Marks: #" text... Is there some other trick I need to follow in order to make this change take effect? I'm still somewhat of a novice and may be missing something very obvious.

The only additional step I took based on the Admin FAQ page was to clear the cache on my browser. I did this, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Ed
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Richard Bruce -

Tim, you are SO the man. I have read many of your posts and this particular post solved EXACTLY my problem. Thank-you.

by K P -

In the second post up there it was asked what is a good reason to hide marks. Here is why I have decided to try to hide the marks:  When I create questions, I just leave the default marks 1 and then change the marks on the quiz edit page and I can just go down the list of questions and make my mark adjustments.  However, on the student view, it shows the default points, not what I set on the quiz edit page.  I have grade information turned off because I want to "verify" the grades by looking for spelling mistakes (on short answer questions) that are close enough but I didn't anticipate when I wrote the question, etc, etc.  So students are not told their score when they submit the test.  With the marks earned visible on each question, students try to calculate their grade and they can be way off.  This causes major problems.  Before anyone asks, I do not want to set the default question value on the question edit screen, because if I decide to use questions again on a cumulative test or I decide that I don't like the value distribution, I would have to edit each individual question again or just do it on the quiz edit page and then my problem is back.

Here is what has happened on today's test: 25 questions.  Each set with default of 1.  I scaled the test to 100 on the quiz edit screen.  This means each question is really worth 4 marks.  I have adaptive mode on so they can have 2 chances to answer the question with a penalty of 0.5 marks.  A student gets half credit. This means 2/4 (which is what I see on the overall results page), but for some reason on the student page, since they have 2 points and the default is 1, Moodle assumes they have full credit and it shows the student 1/1 marks for the question when really they have earned 0.5/1.  Yes Moodle gives the penalty info, but students look at the 1/1 instead.

It is only 2nd period and I have been asked about the 1/1 on the second attempt 4 times. And 1st period I had to explain to an irrate student why she really got half credit on a question she got wrong the first time she answered it: "But it says 1/1.  You can't do that....Moodle already graded it.."

In reply to K P

by K P -
Ok...had epiphany...realized that what I said above is not true.  It is isn't showing the default value from the question, it is showing the value of the question from the quiz edit screen.  I was leaving that 1, and telling Moodle at the bottom to make the maximum quiz value 100, thus scaling it.  My epiphany was to not scale, but set each question value to 4 on the quiz edit screen and it worked.  No more 1/1 if they got partial credit.

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -
Did you ever find a way of hiding the Marks?

by Carrie Meyer -

Is this something that has (or could be) included in Moodle 2.0? I am using Moodle 1.9.2 (I think smile) I would like to hide marks while in the adaptive mode (especially, but overall as well) so that students wouldn't know where they are sitting grade wise for the question. I want them to see my feedback and then determine if they need to change something. I am using this multi-choice - multi-answer feature to do scenario type questioning.

Another question - related, but not finding a specific forum (yet) to ask it -
While in adaptive mode, students select their first choices for my multi- multi question - they then hit submit. The page comes back with the marks (as discussed above) but also the correct and incorrect answers are marked for the ones the student picked. Again, I would like for them not to see those at this time. I would definitely let them and want them to see everything after the quiz is closed, but not during the attempt - even in adaptive mode.

Why am I using the adaptive mode, you ask? This is the only way I have found to allow for page submissions in a quiz which then show the specific answer feedback right away. Again, I am using this for scenarios (medical field), ... for example: A student is given the scenario that s/he came upon an accident with multiple victims. "What would be your initial response to this incident?" I would then give them a variety of possible actions (some right, some wrong). Let's say one of my answers said, "I would ask someone what happened." I would want them to see the feedback immediately (after submitting the page) "A bystander states that he saw a car come out of nowhere, going really fast hit 3 people on their bikes. The car did not stop."
But I don't want them to know (right now) if that was a correct decision or not. - not sure if that makes sense or helps at all.

THANKS!! 

In reply to Carrie Meyer

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Carrie,
The Lesson module would probably lend itself more than the Quiz module to your idea of a scenario. Have you had a look at it?
Joseph

by Carrie Meyer -
I have, actually. The lesson module with the mult-multi choice questions only allow for 1 response for all 'correct' answers and for all 'incorrect' answers. Because of this, I wouldn't be able to customize the responses per the answers the students choose. I tried it - the lesson module allows you to enter different responses, but when you preview and submit. It only shows 1 response. If there is something to adjust the settings in lessons to allow this, I'm all ears! ;)
In reply to Carrie Meyer

by mr 626 -

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I'm facing this exact same situation. A quiz has been created where each question has a certain number of correct answers, and we don't want students to be able to see the 'marks our of' for the question, as this tells them how many of the answers are correct.

I've attempted all of the methods outlined in this thread, but I think things much have changed in moodle since these solutions were posted. I'm on moodle Moodle 2.2+ (Build: 20111209) and I don't have /questions/type/question.html file to edit.

I've attempted to hide the marks by editing our theme too (we use magazine). I did this by:

-adding 'grade' to the config.php of the theme, so moodle knows to look for a grade.css file in the styles folder

-created a grade.css file and added the code to hide the marks

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? Or is there now a GUI option that can hide this? (I've looked everywhere but haven't found it).

Many thanks

In reply to mr 626

by mr 626 -

To clarify my eariler post:

I have tried adding:

To the styles.css for the question type in the quiz (multichoice). This doesn't do anything though, so I'm guessing it needs to go somewhere else?

I have also tried this solution:

Go to question/type/question.html and change

<div class="grade">
</div>

To:

<div class="grade">
</div>

But as mentioned, I don't have a /type/question.html file to edit. Obviously if this code still exists, it must be in a different location in moodle 2.2?

I have gone through all the options within moodle that I can find with no luck.

But, I can actually see an option that does exactly what I want to do...but its only avaliable when I preview a quiz question. By that I mean that:

-I go to edit quiz (under the quiz administration section)

-On a question, I click the little magnifying glass to preview it. This opens the preview question window.

-Under the 'change options' the 4th option is a drop down box named marks. The options are 'not shown' 'show max mark own' and 'show mark and max;

-If I choose 'not shown' and click 'start again with these options' The question displays exactly as I want, with no 'marked out of x' shown

My problem is I can't see any way of making this the behaviour for the quiz questions for the 'real' quiz- it appears to be an option that is only avaliable during previewing of a question.

Hope that makes sense. Apologies if this is something really simply and obvious that I'm missing. I really have tried to find the answer myself before posting here shy

Thanks

In reply to mr 626

by mr 626 -

Replying to myself here- I think I found the fix.

I used the css code to hide the information:

I didn't notice that there was an extra space in there, so it should actually be:

.que.grade { display: none; }

This code goes in the styles.css for the question type you are using in your quiz. So for us, the path is:

/<moodle_web_dir>/questions/type/multichoice/styles.css

Then, restart apache.

And finally (another step I forgot) is to clear the theme cache from within the moodle theme options.

In reply to mr 626

by Petra Tesch -

This is a late reply as I am facing the problem only now. I don't run the installation and am not allowed to perform any changes in the CSS. So I thought of a workaround: I grade each multiple choice question only "1" (could also be 2 or 3 etc. but consistenly). In my opinion the only disadvantage is that correct/false sub-answers don't count as an integer anymore which results in "crooked" overall results. But with respect to didactic principles it might not be too bad to weigh each multiple choice question equally (?). B. t. w. I weigh clozed, open text and even matching questions higher.

Or is there anything wrong about my system which I don't see, is is there any logical mistake?

I would very much appreciate your response.

Petra

by Ben James -

Hello - I don't if this helps anyone, but I have worked out away to change 'Marked out of:' to read 'Not graded'... I'm using Moodle 2.5.

I have created an essay based quiz, I then click Edit Quiz in the Quiz Administration area and then the questions that you have already setup appear, change the number in the 'Marked out of:' from 1 to 0 and then save it.

You might also need to change the 'Maximum grade:' to 0 as well and save.

If you attempt your quiz now it should display this:

Not graded
I hope this helps.

Cheers,Ben

by Lauren Huang -

An old thread, but hopefully this will be of some help to future visitors.

There are two files to change:

question/type/questiontype.php -- Removes the "Marks for this submission" under the question.

Comment out or delete the line:

print_string('gradingdetails', 'quiz', $grade);

question/type/question.html -- Removes the "Marks" to the left of the question.

Comment out or delete the line:

In reply to Lauren Huang

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Note, this advice is only relevant if you are using an ancient version of Moodle (2.0 or older) which is no longer supported.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Manoj Rajiwadekar -

Dear Tim sir,

Please tell me the method to hide marks in moodle 2.8.1+.