1.7.1 hangs on setting up module tables

1.7.1 hangs on setting up module tables

by Rob Jones -
Number of replies: 25
Installation seemed to go fine on hosted 1&1 server but on setting up module tables, most modules were fine but just hung right after displaying "Wiki". No error messages. In fact the message at the top of the page says :
"No warnings, scroll to the continue button" but it isn't there of course. MySQL 5 used. Any ideas greatly appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out about this one!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Jones

Re: 1.7.1 hangs on setting up module tables

by B C -

I have the same problem and it is costing me hair too. Just no continue button and if I try to start again it say session already running. Tried 3 clean installs now and all the same. Any ideas anyone?

Brendan

In reply to B C

by Richard Enison -

BC,

Other than making sure you have deleted the entire content of your moodledata folder as well as all the tables in the database before trying another install, no.

RLE (a relative newbie to Moodle but long-time programmer)

In reply to Richard Enison

by B C -
Yeh, tried completely fresh install so moodle data directory was empty as was the DB.
In reply to B C

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you tried "the Eloy fix" for Moodle sites on 1&1?

On 1&1 hosting you need to create a ".htaccess" with settings which allow Moodle to work on the 1&1 servers.

Here's some more information:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?search=1%261+eloy&id=5

cheers
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Tristan Martin -

"For Moodle version 1.6 or later, the minimum version of PHP is 4.3.0 (or 5.1.0)."

However 1.7.1+ seems to not be happy with below PHP5, as the Eloy fix requires High elvel access which not all servers provide, and also it is a PHP5 fudge.

How can people at moodle say this works on 4.3.0 when the bug fix is conning the install that its php5 thats running?

Also considering only a few servers out there actually use php5 yet AND even dedicated servers come with php4 and you have to manually upgrade to 5.

This is hardly a community project more like a Technicians project.

In reply to Tristan Martin

by Tristan Martin -

I have discovered the problem for users that are still ahving it hang and not being able to change the problem.

The wonderful installation script created by Moodle group, taxes the MySQL database for 10 seconds MOST SHARED hosting companies have a kill time limit of 3 seconds.

This means no editing of .htaccess, and very few companies are available to host this project (even if you want bare basic usage) unless you have a virtual or dedicated server.

Yes there are some companies that will host it, but surely the idea of an Open project is to try and get it to work on everything as possible, otherwise it becomes like Microsoft, i.e. only being able to be installed on specific hosting systems which seems unfair to anyone who already has hosting accounts as they have to move everythign about for this project.

So the apparent solution to this is to create the tables manually with smaller SQL scripts, so can either someone IN moodler develop smaller installation routines to do short bursts to the database, or where are the FULL TABLE SQL file that i can manuall cut down into modules and install manually through the internal MYSQL bit

AND doing that will it cancel out the installation routine, so the installer goes to the next steps?

In reply to Tristan Martin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Tristan,
the Eloy fix is for people using the 1&1 hosting company.

Which hosting company are you using? If you contact me privately I will try to help you set up your Moodle. My email address is: gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

cheers
Gordon

by Janette Dimitrova -
I have the same problem. The server is Win 2003; We're using Moodle 1.7.1 (January 17th version) PHP 5.2.1, Database MySQL 5.0. We made the upgrade test earlier on different server a month ago and there was no problem there. I tried to edit the .htaccess file ant the result is just the same...I need help really urgently!
Thank you in advance!
Janette
In reply to Janette Dimitrova

by Ken Wilson -

Janette

A few pointers to add to what has already been said:

- Can you please confirm which version of MySQL you're running and check that strict mode is off.

- Also, try to download the latest version of Moodle 1.7.1.

It may also be worthwhile to re-check that the PHP, Apache and MySQL settings are exactly the same between the two servers.

Ken

by EzD ThichQuay -

what do i need to put in the .htaccess file?  Gordon's link contained 97 pages long and it is no way a non technical person can get this fix.  My installation was completed successfully, all tables were created but there wasn't any continue button... PLEASE help.  I'm a newbie and have no idea what need to be done.

Thanks

In reply to EzD ThichQuay

by Richard Enison -

ET,

Sorry, I didn't check out that link blush. I knew GB was a Moodle expert so I trusted it.

[See EDIT below, then read on if that doesn't help.]

In a later post in the same thread, he invited people having this problem to e-mail him. His e-mail address is public anyway, since it is in his Moodle profile. He describes it as: gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

I would recommend e-mailing him about the .htaccess/Eloy/1and1 question. Be sure to mention that Moodle's search feature doesn't handle ampersands very well, and that 1and1 is your host.

EDIT: I think I found it. See
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46400#p218563 and http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=62076#285859

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by EzD ThichQuay -

1st question, how do i know moodle was successfully installed on my site?  The "setting up module tables" was successfully installed on my site but however, there wasn't any continue button once all tables were installed.  I received the following message:

No warnings - Scroll to the continue button

assignment.

2ndly, can someone help me with the .htaccess file?  I copied the .htaccess file from the lib to the moodle root folder but received another error message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

"Please contact the server administrator, webadmin@kundenserver.de and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Here is my .htaccess file:

<IfDefine APACHE2>
    AcceptPathInfo on
</IfDefine>

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc        1
php_flag magic_quotes_runtime    0
php_flag register_globals        0
php_flag file_uploads            1
php_flag short_open_tag          1
php_flag session.auto_start      0
php_flag session.bug_compat_warn 0

LimitRequestBody 0

Here is my php.ini file: (by default, 1and1 default php memory size to 40M

memory_limit = 80M
sql.safe_mode = Off
mysql.connect_timeout = 60
mysql.trace_mode = Off

Once again, thank you for all of your help.

In reply to EzD ThichQuay

by Richard Enison -

ET,

First of all, there's a FAQ on this error in the Moodle docs: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#I_receive_this_error_.22500:Internal_Server_Error.22

Secondly, if you read the comments at the beginning of the htaccess file you copied, it says if you get an error you might need to look in your httpd.conf file to see if you need to enable .htaccess files. But maybe not, because:

Thirdly, if you had followed the links in my previous post in this thread, you would have added

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

to your .htaccess file (and maybe deleted or commented out the

php_flag register_globals

line). In fact, maybe you should try an .htaccess file with just the AddType line! Try it both ways, see what works, why not? smile

RLE

In reply to Rob Jones

by James McCormack -

I've got exactly the same problem.

PHP version: OK (4...21 - slightly higher than required)

MySQL: 4.4.4.

PHP settings: verbose, but no report.

Config.php set up fine; install hung during "setting up module tables" towards the end of the "quiz" setup (no mention of wiki setup). Continue button failed to appear at bottom of page, but no error report.

Any attempt to rerun the install ends up with a 500 error. To get round this, the mySQL database must be dropped (destroyed), but on 2nd try, the install hangs at exactly the same place.

I'm not hosting at any of the places mentioned so far by others.

(Incidentally: anyone recognizing the name might wonder - I've finished getting Qedoc to export quizzes into Moodle XML format (which would enable it to act as a desktop Moodle editor) and am now trying to set up a Moodle testing environment. So it would be really appreciated if someone could help me get the install done soon!)

Thanks.

JM

PS: here's some more info.

(1) 118 tables are created before the hang.

(2) When running this for the 3rd time, I watched the server error reports (not PHP reports) more closely: the one which came up was "FATAL:  erealloc():  Unable to allocate 21000 bytes". Not that I know what this means! Just sounds rather fatal.

In reply to James McCormack

by Ken Wilson -

JM

This is just a hunch... can you please post back as an attachment the file mysqlstat.txt outputted from this command immediately *after* you re-run the install:

shell>mysqladmin -u root -p var ext stat > mysqlstat.txt

Just to make sure, also restart mysqld before running the install.

If you don't have access to the shell, then SHOW VARIABLES; and SHOW STATUS; are the equivalent in any mysql client program.

I wondering if there are any limits that are in place and hopefully these diagnostics will give an insight.

Thanks

Ken

Edit: For that memory allocation error - check memory_limit in php.ini and what version of apache is running?

In reply to Ken Wilson

by James McCormack -

Thanks for your reply, Ken.

Some versions (more accurate than before):

Apache = 1.3.37
PHP = 4.4.4
mySQL = 4.1.21
FreeBSD = 4.10

Some bits from php.ini

max_execution_time = 30    
max_input_time = 60 
memory_limit = 8M     
sql.safe_mode = Off
mysql.connect_timeout = 60
mysql.trace_mode = Off

Results of showing variables and status are at:

http://www.qedoc.com/mysql/status.htm

http://www.qedoc.com/mysql/variables.htm

BTW, I'm not very good at servers (e.g. "restart mysqld" doesn't mean anything to me!), so please keep things simple!

by Ken Wilson -

Hi James

Looking at the mysql output, can you please try issuing these commands in phpmyadmin:

SET @@global.max_allowed_packet = 16M;

SET @@global.net_read_timeout = 120;

SET @@global.net_write_timeout = 120;

Check that the settings have been applied with this command:

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'max%';

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'net%';

Try re-running the install.

As a note, your webhost may have set an upper limit on max_allowed_packet, so if 16M is not accepted try a lower value. Also, this post (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=56615) also makes an interesting point that some hosts may limit the number of questions in a given time interval - there's no way of finding this info from the output so can you check with your host.

Thanks

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Ken Wilson -

Looks like there's a problem for forum posts with double ampersand signs. Here it is again as an attachment. On some mysql installs, there may be an error with the setting for max_allowed_packet as "16M" so try the byte value of 16777216.

Attachment settings.JPG
In reply to Ken Wilson

by James McCormack -

Thanks for the detailed set of instructions, Ken.

Unfortunately, it didn't bring an iota of improvement... sad

I changed the 3 variables as you said, and also checked that they really had been changed. No problems there. Ran the install again after dumping the database (but keeping the old config.php file).

Everything went exactly as previously described - even the "FATAL:  erealloc():  Unable to allocate 21000 bytes" error and the hang after installing the quiz tables was the same.

Any suggestions about my next steps?

by Ken Wilson -

Hi James

If changing the settings in mysql has no effect, then lets look at the PHP side of things. A erealloc error indicates that there is a problem allocating the required memory (which can be caused by a bad module using up all the available memory). It may be worthwhile asking your hosting company if there have been any other issues like this with php scripts reported to them, as there may be a memory/freebsd system limit (ulimit -a at the shell to find out) imposed.

Try increasing the memory limit for php by creating a .htaccess file in your text editor with this line (this will really increase it):

php_value memory_limit = 256M

and saving it into the moodle folder where the config.php file is located.

It would also be helpful if you could post back/provide a link to your phpinfo output - maybe this can provide some pointers to a module that is a candidate for the memory leak.

Thanks

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by James McCormack -

Hi Ken,

Tried it, but to no avail.

Using the syntax "php_value memory_limit 16M" with various values up to 256M always results in a 500 error.

http://moodle.qedoc.org/phpinfo.php shows that '--enable-memory-limit' is allowed anyway, so surely the installation should be able to set its own limit?

Thanks,

James

PS: contacting my hosting company wouldn't help; their technical equipment is OK, but their support is not. It's strictly self-service.

In reply to Ken Wilson

by James McCormack -

Although the .htaccess files don't support changing maximum memory size, I have access to php.ini and did it from there instead. I doubled the maximum from 8 to 16 successfully (see the phpinfo link above).

However the Moodle install still hung at exactly the same place with exactly the same error message.

So I guess it's not PHP's memory.

I'll try looking at the system limit. Ulimit -a returns:

cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited 
file size (512-blocks, -f) unlimited 
data seg size (kbytes, -d) 30720 
stack size (kbytes, -s) 65536 
core file size (512-blocks, -c) unlimited 
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited 
locked memory (kbytes, -l) unlimited 
max user processes (-u) 5547 
open files (-n) 11095 
virtual mem size (kbytes, -v) unlimited 
sbsize (bytes, -b) unlimited 

So I doubt it's a system limit either.

JM

In reply to Ken Wilson

by James McCormack -

Continuing...

max_execution_time = 300 ;  

max_input_time = 300 ;

memory_limit = 64M ;

in php.ini (raising from all the defaults). Still exactly the same error.

In case you suspect timeouts, in fact the script hangs after about 10 seconds - in other words, things are running pretty fast. The default max execution time was 30, which was never being hit.

JM

by Gary Dunn -
James,
I had the same problem on a large installation (the database is 420MB), and just got it to work today. I went and temporarily turned on the display_errors in the php.ini file so that I could see what was going on when the update stopped.

It turned out to be a php out of memory error. The original php.ini was raised to
64M, but apparintly that was not enough to run the upgrade script. I raised it to memory_limit = 256M and restarted apache, and now it will process the entire upgrade script.

Hope this helps,

GD

In reply to Ken Wilson

by James McCormack -
(Incidentally, I've got temporary access to a Moodle installation elsewhere to continue my development work for the time being, but it would still be great to actually set up my own Moodle to practice with. - JM)