Images not showing in Quizzes from Metacourses

Images not showing in Quizzes from Metacourses

by Jonathan Konrad -
Number of replies: 9
I have read through several posts on this issue, but I always seem to get lost before I find the answer.

I have a Metacourse "bio resources", and a child course "biology 30". All of my questions and images are in "bio resources", all of my quizzes and assignments are in "biology 30".

When my students enter "biology 30" and take a quiz, the graphics do not show up.

What is the simplest work around for this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Konrad

Re: Images not showing in Quizzes from Metacourses

by Bill Click -

this discussion has been done here.  http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=55690

Fairly compelte with lots of ideas.

In reply to Bill Click

by John Isner -
In the discussion you reference, the metacourse solution that Jonathan is using is given as a solution. I have used metacourses in exactly the same way, and they have worked for me, so I'm puzzled why they're not working for Jonathan. Perhaps there are some more details he can give us? For example, how do the child courses "see" the quizzes in the metacourse?
In reply to John Isner

by Jonathan Konrad -
Ahh, perhaps this is the key. I have the questions build up in the Metacourse, but the quizzes are assembled in the child course. Can I create the quiz in the metacourse, link it to the child course, and have the mark tracked in the child course?

I'll have to look in to this tonight. Thanks.

by John Isner -
Right: Build the questions AND the quizzes in the metacourse and put links to the quizzes in the child courses. That's how I did it. I still think your original way should work. Because of problems like this, I stopped using metacourses.

Here's what I do now. It requires editing privileges in course 1 (the "front page" course). Maintain your question database in course 1. Export all categories so that they become visible throughout the site. If you have images in your questions, keep them in "site files" (the course files area of course 1). Your questions and images will now be visible to every course in the site. Furthermore, they will be read-only for every teacher except for those with editing privileges in course 1. I added a few lines of php code to disable category export except by the question database maintainers. This prevents copies of your questions from proliferating (copying is evil).

If you choose this solution, it is important to have good question categories. For example, you should have a "biology" category at the top level, or possibly even a "science" category with a biology subcategory. Then further divide biology into semantically meaningful subcategories ("botany," "zoology", etc.). This allows for growth as other teachers and other departments start using the scheme.
In reply to John Isner

by Barbara Lawrence -
John, I would be interested to know how you disabled category export. I'd like to prevent users from exporting categories which do not "belong" to the current course.
In reply to John Isner

by Jonathan Konrad -
Well, it's beyond me. As long as I keep the questions in the metacourse and the quizzes in the child ... no images. I have even opened up the metacourse to anyone, guests without a key and all.

If I make the quiz in the metacourse, students can see it, take it and all the images show up. Except the marks do not show up in the child course.

How is this working for you?
In reply to Bill Click

by Jonathan Konrad -
Thank you. I have indeed read this post, and can follow most of it. I am unhappy to have to implement a solution out side of Moodle, or out side of the tools within Moodle, however. While I could create the various file & link hacks described, I am surprised that there is not a setting within Moodle to allow the images contained in the file system of the metacourse to be accessible to the child courses. This seems very logical to me.

I am currently encouraging a variety of schools, with a variety of tech experience, to explore Moodle for there online course management. Many of these sites could not work outside the Moodle structure (I would do the initial setup of their site for them, but they would be bound to the tools presented to them as teachers or course creators to get their sites working).

I am running Moodle 1.7 on a linux box.

by Jonathan Konrad -
Got it. The answer was right in front of me. Not sure why I missed it. For others who want this. You can indeed keep questions and image files in MetaCourses and then build quizzes in child courses.

However, you must not use the "Image to Display" drop down box. Instead use the "Insert Image" button in the WYSIWYG editing bar for the question.

Then it will display properly in the child course. Hope this helps. It has the befit of still creating all the folders and files within Moodle. No ftp or file level access needed. No php modification. It just works.

Jon

by John Isner -
Interesting! I never hit this problem because I always use the Insert image button. I was able to replicate the problem in Moodle 1.6.3. I checked the Tracker and found an open bug report which sounds like it might be the same (MDL-6047). I added a comment to the bug report.