Question about insert image function in HTML editor

Question about insert image function in HTML editor

by lea virgile -
Number of replies: 12
Hello, I'm new here, I have 2 questions about the insert image function
- isn't there a problem with the preview function ? it doesn't work for me (with firefox 2.0 for mac), open an empty window
- is there a way to upload images from one's computer ? it's very unconvenient to be limited to images already on internet.
And the attachment function (which allows uploads) is not very practical because you cannot modify the size of the image in the screen
thanx for tips
Average of ratings: -
In reply to lea virgile

Re: Question about insert image function in HTML editor

by John Isner -
What is the "preview function?" I am not aware of a preview function associated with the Insert image.

When you're in the HTML editor and you want to insert an image, you have three methods.
  1. You can insert an image from the Web by typing its URL
  2. You can insert an image that you previously uploaded by navigating to it in the File Browser
  3. You can upload an image during the dialog.
For method 3, press the "Browse" button at the bottom of the dialog and find the image on your computer. Then press the Upload button. This will add the file to the File Browser. Then proceed as if you were in method 2. See screenshot.

Attachment Insert_Image_dialog.png
In reply to John Isner

by lea virgile -
When I'm logged as a student, I don't have the same dialog as you but the one above.
There is a "preview" button wich doesn't work for me,
and there is no "browse" wich lacks a lot.

lt's good students can't access the whole file browser, they may acces/delete files they are not supposed to ; but it would be very practical if they could upload an image exactly the same way one's could upload attachment

any solution ?
Attachment Image_1.png
In reply to lea virgile

by John Isner -
Ah, your original post didn't mention that you were doing this as a student. I thought you were doing it as a teacher. Now I understand.

Unfortunately, students do not have access to the Moodle file system. But neither do most students have access to file space on the Web! So the best they can do in standard Moodle is link to an existing image on the Web sad

Giving students access to the Moodle file system is a frequently-requested feature. A third-party solution called the "MyFiles block" was developed at Humboldt State University. I use it. It installs easily and works quite well (however I don't think it works in version 1.7 yet). Get the latest zip file from this discussion and be sure to read the ENTIRE discussion, or you will have installation problems.

In reply to John Isner

by lea virgile -
Thank you for thoses precisions. I'll have a look at the MyFiles features, but it seems more complicated that what we need...
Maybe it's very different technically, but why couldn't a student upload an image just the same way he can upload an attachment ? he doesn't have to know where the file is stored, couldn't it be attached automatically with the forum message ?
This is what happens with attachment, but then we cannot choose the way it is displayed...
But I don't know how it works, so maybe it's very different... Sorry if my question doesn't make sens.

In reply to lea virgile

by John Isner -
I agree! Allowing attachments but disallowing images doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe it is just a historical accident. In fact, some activities don't allow attachments, while others do. Again, it's probably just a historical accident, not a conspiracy smile

You're also right that MyFiles is overkill for what you need. It is also more work for the student than adding an attachment or inserting an image (many clicks vs. one click).

A third option we didn't discuss is using free online storage like xdrive.com.
In reply to John Isner

by lea virgile -
Actually I've just found a way to remediate partly to the problem ! I've open an image database, called "how to insert an image", with a few lines of explanations. Any student can upload an image in the database, copy it's URL and then use it with the image function.

But of course it's a little complicated, it needs to leave the forum, go to the data base, click, come back to the forum, paste the url... Would be simplier if one's could upload the way we've just talk about.

Is there a place on this site where I could submit a suggestion about this ? "history" is not always irremediable smile
In reply to lea virgile

by John Isner -
I agree! That's a very good solution.

Go to tracker.moodle.org and search to see if anyone else has suggested this enhancement. MDL-8229 asks for attachments in online assignments and quiz essay questions, which is somewhat related.
In reply to John Isner

by Cyril Slucki -
Hi all.

After reading your messages.

I really don't understand why students can't simply upload images.

Others solutions (Using mySpace, plugin, blabla) are too complicated.

People need simple graphic interface and 1-click feature.

Report it to http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8229 is also complicated.

I don't find a way to submit. (Ok I have to create an account, blabla).

I guess that a directory on the file system for each users, is not a complex thing, not ?

Best,

In reply to Cyril Slucki

by Helen Whitehead -
Another workaround...

I have set up a forum thread specifically for people to attach pics that they can then "insert" into other posts.

Firefox is better for this as it is easy to find and save the image location by right clicking on the picture.

Maybe this will help someone else.
In reply to Helen Whitehead

by Cyril Slucki -
Helen said :

Another workaround...

I have set up a forum thread specifically for people to attach pics that they can then "insert" into other p

Thank you Helen, for your answer.

But the problem is the students can't post pics through the forum according to moodle documentation and what we said in that discussion.

Could you please be tell us more, about your solution ?

Best,
Cyril.

In reply to Cyril Slucki

by Robert Bell -
I think I understand Helen's work around. Helen tell me if I have the idea,
  • First the instructor creates a forum "attach photos here"
  • All the students "attach" their photos here.
  • Before a student wants to include an "attached" photo in another post or reply, the student returns to the "attach photos here" forum, right clicks the image, and copies the file location.
  • With the photo's "Moodle URL" on their clip board, the student goes to the forum where they want to post the image.
  • In the reply or post dialog, the student clicks on the "Insert Image" icon and pastes the URL in the pop up dialog box.
I have not tested this process with more than one image in a post. However, if more than one attachment is not allowed, the student attachments could be created in replies to an original post or within entirely separate posts.

Attachment juncosWhtBg.jpg
In reply to Cyril Slucki

by Robert Bell -
Below is an example of the workaround

juncosWhtBg.jpg