Problem of exporting questions to files

Problem of exporting questions to files

by Rui Zuo -
Number of replies: 5

I need to move some quizzes from one moodle site (1.5) to another moodle site (1.6). When i deal with one category in which all the questions are only text, i managed to export it to file and then import it to new moodle site, but when i try to export the other category in which some of questions are with picuters, it comes out error message: Missing Question Options! What's the reason of this?

Then I think that even I could export this category successfully, the file would not contain any picture, am i right?

so is there any way to move the question category which include pictures frome one site to another?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rui Zuo

Re: Problem of exporting questions to files

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You don't say which import/export format you are using.

Perhaps you could attach the file you are having problems with here and I will take a look. Also, make sure that it is an up to date version of 1.6 - there were quite a few bugs in the early versions of 1.6 which have been fixed.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
For moving entire quizzes, backup and restore might work better.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Rui Zuo -

Thanks for your reply. The old moodle site is 1.5 version which i need to export the category.

I have tried Moolde XML format, when i try to download exported category files, it shows me

<>The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'http://aaatuition.com/moodle/file.php?file=/16/q...

also i have tried GIFT and IMS QTI 2.0 format, exported files don't contain any images.

>

>
In reply to Rui Zuo

by John Isner -
Read Tim Hunt's post.

None of the category export formats includes images. Backup/restore is the only way to copy both questions and images.

However if you insist on using category export/import, you could do it in four steps: (1) export/import the questions (2) zip and download the images from the old site (3) upload and unzip the images on the new site. All image links will be broken on the new site after step (3), so you'll have a fourth step: (4) manually repair all broken image links.

Backup/restore SHOULD handle image relinking, but I have needed to repair certain links following backup/restore (and I'm not sure why).
In reply to John Isner

by Howard Miller -
Just a small correction. None of the formats include images in 1.5.x.

In 1.7+ the XML format does indeed carry images!

However, as has been said, if you need to get images out of 1.5 you will *have* to use backup and restore.