Elgg Blank Screen (0.673)

Elgg Blank Screen (0.673)

by Margari León -
Number of replies: 9
Hello, we have integrated Elgg Block into Moodle (1.71) successfully, but when we click on "Join now!", we see just a blank screen... We are using 0.673 Elgg´s version.

Please, can someone help me?? Erdipurdika
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Margari León

Re: Elgg Blank Screen (0.673)

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Magari

I'm afraid I can't help much, but can confirm we have the same problem with Elgg 0.673 and Moodle 1.6.2+.

Elgg 0.651 works fine - the 'Join now' allows students to create a new Elgg account (or attach to an existing one).

Will also be glad of any help with 0.673!

Apparently Elgg 0.7 is coming soon, and Elgg 1.0 within the year, so it will be good if the Moodle-Elgg Integration block is kept up to date. I'm certainly happy to help with the testing.

Geoff

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Margari León -
Thank you very much Geoff!

We´ll install 0.651 if we don´t find a solution for 0.673... (perhaps we can wait for 0.7 but I´m not sure... we´re starting with the new courses in a week!).

Thank you again!

Margari Begi-keinua
In reply to Margari León

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Margari

One thing. If you do use Elgg 0.651, you may have to tweak the code to get the Search box to work. See http://elgg.net/support/weblog/129018.html for more details.

Apparently Elgg 0.671 and 0.672 also work with Moodle (but I have not yet tried these, I jumped straight to 0.673). http://elgg.net/support/weblog/147964.html

Others have apparently got Elgg 0.673 working (see e.g. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=48035#281825), but I’m not sure if this includes a fully functional Moodle-Elgg integration block. I still get the blank screen problem sad.

One of the main Elgg developers suggests the problem may be related to new internationalisation code in Elgg 0.673. http://lists.elgg.org/pipermail/development/2007-January/000896.html

Geoff

by Margari León -
Thank you very much Geoff!!

(I´m going to tell you a secret.... I broke our Elgg installation this afternoon... well, we are just trying it... and nobody was still using it... ufff!!!).

In reply to Margari León

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Margari

Hope you have resurrected your Elgg installation.

I think I have a partial solution for the problems with the Elgg integration block with Elgg 0.67x and Elgg 0.7 (Moodle 1.6.x)

In my hands the blank screen problem is solved by editing :
var $port = "";
to
var $port = "80";

near the top of /lib/snoopy/Snoopy.class.inc in Elgg.

This fixes the account creation link (When you click [Join now] account details are carried through from Moodle). I discovered this by trial-and-error and have no real understanding of how/why it works mixed.

The downside is that the automatic authentication does not work properly, as compared to Elgg 0.651. However, it is usable, and authentication 'sort of works' if username/password (cookies?) are saved by the browser.

The other functions of the block, i.e. the RSS feed of recent activity and transfer of assignments from Moodle to Elgg, seem to work OK. There are lots of new goodies in Elgg 0.7, so it may be worth putting up with some automatic authentication dysfunction.

Hope this helps towards a complete solution.

Geoff

by Margari León -
Hello Geoff!!!

Thank you very much!!!! Uau... your solution works!!!! Barrea

(I don´t know either why, but it works!!!!!)

Thank you!!!!!Ondo da

In reply to Margari León

by Wesley Wakeman -

Does anyone still have the elgg integration module? Could they email it to me? It no longer exists in the moodle modules database.

Thanks

Wes

In reply to Wesley Wakeman

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Wesley

An updated version of the Moodle-Elgg Integration block, for Elgg versions 0.67 or later (works with Elgg 0.7 and the recently released 0.8), together with diffs to be applied to Elgg code, is available in this posting by Luke Hudson

Some further modifications, which as I understand it address file-transfer issues between Moodle & Elgg , are available frm Paulo Matos towards the end of the thread.

Hope this helps

by Juan González -
Hi, I can't find that config.php file!! I've been reading a lot and everything starts with this line of the HowTo:

"First you need to set up elgg to trust your moodle. This is configured in your elgg's config.php, which contains the following instructions:"

I can't find it. I know it's been a while since this post but I'm trying to do the integration with Moodle 1.9 and Elgg 1.2.

Do I still have hope?

Thanks a lot!

Juan