We missed a very bad BUG in Moodle 1.2: Surveys do not work :-(

We missed a very bad BUG in Moodle 1.2: Surveys do not work :-(

by David Delgado -
Number of replies: 27
Beware! When a survey gets answered, and you try to see the results both as a teaher or as a student, it does not show anything. Just try and see.

If you had previous answers to a survey, they are lost! sad

VERY disappointing. sad Imagine the results when upgrading a server with many surveys, as mine. sad

This happens in both, Linux and Windows.

I have submitted this to the Bug Traker. This one alone is worth a Moodle 1.2.1
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Delgado

Re: We missed a very bad BUG in Moodle 1.2: Surveys do not work :-(

by Tim Allen -

I noticed this and submitted it to the tracker almost two weeks ago.  I posted about it in the survey forum.   Also, surveys which are added after the upgrade don't show up in the results screen.    It doesn't seem directly related to groups as this error occurred in a course in which groups had not been enabled.

Tim.

Re: survey display problem

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I did look at this one last week but I couldn't duplicate this in my testing - my surveys are working fine. I'm quite sure your answers are not lost, at worst they will just not be displayed.

I need more information and less panicking, please.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Marc Triola -
I upgraded from 1.2 beta to 1.2 final and I also see this problematic behavior. When users complete a survey I can see that data is entered into the mdl_survey_answers table but the admin interface always says 0 people have completed this survey.

The data is there though - if you click the download link and download the survey results as text or excel you get files containing the correct data.

by David Delgado -

Sorry for the "panicking". It seems sometimes it happens to me. I just wanted to make sure everybody knew about it. It could be a very serious bug.

It seems that the missing display in surveys is a general bug, related to some tipical PHP configuration, and Eloy has been working on it. It seems like he got the fix. I sent it to you, for revision and posible including in CVS. I think this one should not only be in CVS, but in a more accesible place, since most people do not update their installations on a daily basis with development versions. Could it be a "patch"?

The other problem I have about missing answers seems to be a weird problem in my system, since using the backup of a course that misses the answers when restoring it in my 1.2 installation works fine in Eloy's installation. I will try to find out what the problem is and solve it, since this one is not general.

So, you got it: "more information and less panicking" wink Anyway, I think it is important to tell this things as soon as they are found, since they could produce serious problems when upgrading. That is why it seems like I was "panicking". I was not, but I wanted to warn people about it.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
As you are not a programmer yourself, it would most helpful as a tester to provide clear and detailed information about the problem in the bug tracker (or even here if the tracker scares you) so that programmers can assess the problem and work out whether it's a general problem or just a configuration problem.

The number of cases where a Moodle bug caused data loss is exteremely low - in fact I can't even remember a single case.  Bugs are almost always some unanticipated logic or display problem.

If your problem then turns out to really be a serious general problem, then we can issue a new version of Moodle or create some patch instructions.

by David Delgado -
Martin, I have always used Bug tracker first, including this bug. I only post bugs here when I believe they may be really dangerous and I want to make sure people know about them (very rarely). That is why I seem to panic sometimes.

I have submitted 46 bugs and feature requests to the bug tracker, and I have commented just a few of them in these forums. I have submitted also lots of information about this particular bug here, in bug tracker and directly to you and Eloy by email.

On the other hand, I am a computer scientist, as you are, and I have been programming since I was 10 in Basic, Pascal, C, Fortran, Cobol, Lisp, Visual Basic, Assembler (both Intel 8086 and Motorola 68000), machine code, chips, transistors, and even a little PHP and MySQL. wink The problem is that, right now I am much more a Project Manager than a Programmer.

I have studied very little about PHP and I do not know enough about programming with it. I hope I will find time someday to study PHP and dedicate even more time to code sometimes. Right now, I am very busy with many other things, I am afraid. Coding is very time consumming. sad

My problem has turned to be a general one, as I suspected. It is very likely to have the Survey graphics lost, and even more, other people are having the missing answers bug.

So, let's handle this in a constructivist and constructive way, and just work together to have this fixed. Moodle is both a very good e-learning platform and a very well designed software, but there is nothing perfect. This is an amazing community of people. Let's keep on collaborating and working together to solve this little things. smile

by Martin Dougiamas -
OK, for sure. I really don't want us getting annoyed at each other about this either, let's just fix it quickly and move on.

To bring others up to speed we have in fact been looking into all this together via email in parallel to this discussion here.  wink  In your site it looks like you had two separate issues.

One is the "survey graphs in courses without group members" bug, which Bernard found the answer to and is now fixed in CVS.

The other is something to do with the fonts or languages on your XP machine, which we can keep talking about via email.

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi,
the survey works fine if table mdl_groups_members is not empty.

If table mdl_groups_members is empty then the line 201 of
/moodle/mod/survey/lib.php

{$CFG->prefix}groups_members AS gm and the comma preceding it

should be remove to have the good results in that particular case.

In meantime you may create a dummy group and put someone in itwink

Nothing is lostbig grin and I am very happy of 1.2smile

Bye,

Bernard

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Martin Dougiamas -
Excellent, thanks Bernard! No wonder I never saw it - all my test courses had groups.

I've checked this into CVS and there will be a 1.2.1 soon to bundle this up with a few other minor fixes being made.

by Bernard Boucher -
It is probably an optimisation of MySql:

In multitable query, if one table is empty then it don't "spend time" doing the query, just return empty.

by David Delgado -
Could yo just wait for a week or so for 1.2.1? So, we all could make a big revision and listen to the posible problems that the first production installations of 1.2 may find.

I would like to make a very intensive checking of it. I have reported several bugs on this version, wich are already fixed, but I could not do a whole, intensive check I would like to do this week. I hope I can take time enough, since I finish on Monday some important tasks.

by Ger Tielemans -

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in c:\easyphp1-7\www\moodle-1.2\lib\weblib.php on line 1877

I get this on my screen when I try to edit the first forum in Moodle, could this be related to this empty group problem?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Hans de Zwart -

Ger, I also got this error on my Mandrake 9.2 installation. I looked in the weblib.php file and has to do with no scales being defined. As soon as I defined a scale the error disappeared. Maybe this bug needs to be listed in the bugtracker.

How are your global grades options set?

In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Ger Tielemans -

Not yet filled in this tryout, so I fill..

Yes when filled it disappeared, so your analysis seems right.glimlach 

by Marc Triola -
That did the trick!  Making a group and putting someone in it fixes the display issues.  Thanks!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Tim Allen -

Thanks so much Bernard, I changed the file as indicated and now the number of people who have completed a survey is correctly indicated on the survey screen.  big grin

Fixed issue

However, I still get no graphs or answers when I click on any of the report links along the top of the reports/analysis screen:

No graphs issue

Tim.

PS Why are we talking about this in the workshop forum?  mixed

In reply to Tim Allen

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Tim,

have you tried to open the image in another window to see if it's missing or only a very, very small version of it?

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Tim Allen -

Hi Eloy,

Thanks a lot for your reply.  smile

I tried "open link in new window" via right click (in Windows XP), to no avail.  However, when I copy the link and pasted it into a new browser window I got the missing graph!  surprise 

Perhaps that will help you to narrow down the problem.

Take care. 

In reply to Tim Allen

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Tim,

now in CVS is a slightly modification working fine. There was a small typo when setting the height and width of images (seems to affect only IE browsers). Yo can see this discussion (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=6260) about the buggy typo...

Ciao smile

by angel williams -
I'm using 1.2.1 and had to use the creating a group trick to get Moodle to display survery answers properly.

1. i thought that was fixed for 1.2.1...am I mistaken or is it going to make it in 1.3?)

2. i'm missing the answers of 2 students whom I think answered while i had moodle 1.2 installed. what SQL tables should I look in to find out if the data is there or not so I know if i should ask the people to resubmit their answers?

thanks smile
In reply to angel williams

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, it should be fixed in 1.2.1 ... are you sure you completely replaced all your old 1.2.1 files?

This might be the answer to both of your questions.

by angel williams -
yes, I did replace them.

I think the actual problem is that students that viewed the survey but did not fill it in. now the input area is no longer available to them. (perhaps they hit tthe submit button...i'm not sure)

Is there someway to reset Moodle's belief that the survey has been filled in?
In reply to angel williams

by An Re -
I have a completely new Moodle 1.2.1 version and I still have the same problem, no graphs but the classical "x" of image not found.

Are there maybe some other permission to set 777???

How can I solve this??
In reply to An Re

by Martin Dougiamas -
View the image on it's own (right-click on it to get the URL) and see if you can see any errors.  It's likely you have accidentally added blank lines in your config.php from the set up.

by An Re -
the url I get from the "x" is: http://mysite/moodle/mod/survey/graph.php?id=17&sid=3&group=0&type=student.png

The config seems to be ok...

What do I have to check out to understand what doesn't work?

Tnx