Flash at Moodle??

Flash at Moodle??

by W Page -
Number of replies: 23
Hello All!

Does anyone know
  • if the changes Martin made to the code so flash buttons appear for audio files will also alow for other flash components in Moodle?
OR
  • if the code needs to be adjusted or new code added each time a flash component is added to Moodle?
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

WP1
Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: Flash at Moodle??

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
eh?  What flash components?

The filter scans realtime for links and embeds that Flash MP3 player ... the filter and the player can be upgraded anytime.  My intention later is to add embedding for all video and sound links (that's why I called it the mediaplugins filter).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ger Tielemans -
Would be nice if the admin could choose the default choices for these players.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If your wishes were fishes I'd have environmentalists after me.  Send in those patches, Ger!  wink

by Ger Tielemans -

If you first integrate my other orphan patches, that would encourage me to try knipoog..

• Hide the header of a hidden week (or topics)
  • jump to current week by clicking on (bold) currentday in a calendar  (needs rework) 

One of the pitfalls of open source is that you as user (= I triest) start to hack any piece of code and end up with to much work to maintain instead of using it and spending my time on supporting it in an educational setting. (Biggest problem: testing it on all the platforms.)

I restarted with version 1.2 and tried to change as little as possible.

But I know that when 1.3 is out and I installed it in my record time of 43 seconds, it cost me at least two days to reinstall this little set of small changes, test them...

So I prefer to send you (and others) my brainwaves when I toy around with all these great Moodle moduls.

Do with it what you like, I am very happy with all the things you and others picked up and try to be not too disappointed when you do  not pick some up.  (like the idea to get as user the choice two place moodle-moduls side by side on one page or the improved breadcrumbs or... sorry joking.. I really love all these people who accept the challenge..)   

by Martin Dougiamas -
Hiding the headers of hidden sections is in 1.3 already.

Re: header gone??

by Ger Tielemans -
I run now (in CVS) Moodle 1.3 almost ready (2004052000)

As student I still see the header of a hidden section with the text (not available) thoughtful how comes?

by Martin Dougiamas -
It's a course setting .. the default is the old behaviour.

by Ger Tielemans -

Ahhh, nice, teacher chooses, even better then the original blush 

Hit me twice, so I promiss to study the almost ready first now...

by W Page -

Hi Martin and Ger!

Does that mean a flash based webcam and WhiteBoard could be used on the site without the need for the new MX Communication Server from Macromedia being installed on the sever of sites that want to add these features?  The code will support them?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Errr, no.  smile  It does not mean that at all.  I'm only talking about passive media files.  For video I'm not even talking about Flash ... they would use Quicktime or Realplayer or Media Player. 

For the sorts of things you are talking about you need a system (like the Flashcomm stuff) on the server to handle the traffic.

by Chris Luther -

BTW: I'm working on a Flash Communications Server Video Conference Module here.  It's going to be pretty basic at first but I'd be interested in understanding what other people would like to see in it.  

However, I'm having a real basic issue popup which stumping me at the moment.  So far my Moodle work has been limited modifying the theme and changing out the UI elements.  Using Dreamweaver as my editing/testing environment.  No problem.

Now, I'm wanting to create new php funtions to incorporate into the Moodle (1.2 Beta). I've put these off into another file, weblib-custom.php.  Then I go into weblib.php to add a simple include statement and save it. Push it out to the server and when I test I get :

"Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in c:\program files\easyphp1-7\www\moodle\lib\weblib.php on line 1328"

I look over the library and cant find any error.  So I remove the modification, save and push out.  Problem persists.  Then I copy the original weblib.php into the directory and push back out.  Problem gone.  I open the local copy in Dreamweaver and add a space to the very end of the file. Save and push out.  Problem returns.  So the simple editing of the file with Dreamweaver (MX on a Windows 2k box) causes the problem.

Editing with TextPad does not cause the same problem.  So there is a DWMX config issue.  Any suggestions on why?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Luther

by W Page -

Hi Chris!

I do not know enough Flash to even try to address your problem above or why it is occuring.  I am trying to understand and learn 3 programming languages - PHP - JAVA - Flash.  I have a pretty good understanding of HTML.  However folks (not just Moodle) are going towards XML so I am trying to also learn this in small steps as well. 

Right now I am trying to work on developing a WhiteBoard for Moodle with chat, audio, webcam and file transfer capability.  I found an open source JAVA based program which could do this but Martin indicated he like a Flash based program better. 

Mark Burnet has embedded Drawboard into a link on his Moodle site.  You can find DrawBoard here.

A problem I see with JAVA and this new Macromedia Communications Server is the additional cost a webmaster may have to pay to have either one on a server so they can use the feature.  I think the website must me located on a server running JAVA to run the JAVA based WhiteBoard.  I do not know if the website must be on a Communication Server or if it can be on a separate one to run the Flash based WhiteBoard. 

A poblem that I am having is I cannot get clear instructions as to how to install JAVA files to check out a program when using easyPHP v1-7.  I have both of the following installed along with easyPHP,
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.2_03

If you are working with a MX Communications Server and you have the time I suggest you look at,
Creating a Two-Way Video Chat Application in Macromedia Central
by Giacomo Guilizzoni
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/central/articles/vchat.html

Creating a WhiteBoard Application With Marcromedia Flash Communication Server MX
by Beau Ambur
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flashcom/articles/whiteboard.html

Components
Get Started Quickly With Macromedia Flash Communication Server MX Components
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashcom/download/

Hope these links provide useful information.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by 'Alim Beveridge -
HI,

I believe the Flash Communication Server is NOT necessary for a flash-based Whiteboard and/or live video application. I've seen a system developed by a student here in Bolivia that uses .NET as a backend. I imagine it can be done with PHP or Java running on the server rather than .NET. If you want more info I could ask the student how his system works.

Cheers,
'Alim
In reply to 'Alim Beveridge

by W Page -
Hi Alim!

Please, please do and post the results of you discussion with the student here.

WP1

by Tom Atkins -

Hi Martin

There's some interesting new Flash stuff (video and I presume therefore audio) that doesn't need comm server. Have a look at the *free* player here:

http://www.videospark.com/index.php?ssp=20

Something to keep an eye on for future releases?

I'm increasingly thinking that Flash video could be the future of all web video...

In reply to Tom Atkins

by Ger Tielemans -

For a non technical user it would be great to have a HTML-page where they can write a user instruction on the canvas and paste "in line" players like the current mp3player, the quicktime player, this new  flashplayer from a popup choice box. (integrated as a button in the html-editor as now pictures are? The calls to relativ paths could be ssolved this way too)

Now users have to copy again and again exactly a string of code. The problem is in exactly, the complains are about again and again..

by Martin Dougiamas -
Perhaps you missed this, Ger, but you do not need to copy code.

All you need to do is link to them... the mediaplugin filter does the rest of the coding for you.

by Ger Tielemans -
Missed that,yes, nice...  My only excuss is that there are so many new features in Moodle, it is killing...  ..but now for Applets that call a local library, then it would be perfect!
In reply to Tom Atkins

by John Gone -
As far as I can tell Flash, for video, is the one of the very few formats that must be generated with a proprietary software, i.e. no Open Source alternative? Am I wrong?

I love Flash but don't know much about how it's done.

Windows XP comes with a few tools that allow video editing that also generate files that can be read by pretty much anyone. For example .wmv
In reply to John Gone

by Tom Atkins -
Not quite Open Source (it places a small logo top right of video) but it's Freeware:

http://www.blue-pac.com/products/turbinevideo/default.htm

In reply to Tom Atkins

by John Gone -
Thanks Tom, Freeware works well too. This turbinevideo is doing the job.
In reply to Tom Atkins

by Julio Ody -

Take a look at ffmpeg (google it). I converted lots of formats into FLV files. They all work fine.

In reply to John Gone

by Grant McWilliams -
Openoffice.org Impress can export flash animations of presentations created there. That's a start.

Grant