Students cannot review quizzes after taking them

Students cannot review quizzes after taking them

by Laura Anderson -
Number of replies: 12

Hello,

I am running version 1.7 but have encountered one problem with students taking quizzes.  After the student clicks 'Submit All and Finish', they receive their score from the quiz, but I would like them to be able to see the whole quiz again with their answers marked either correct or incorrect for review purposes.  So they will know exactly which answers they got correct and which they didn't. This problem didn't happen in version 1.5 when we were running it so I am not sure if there is a new setting that I haven't turned on yet.

How can I fix this?  Thank you very much for any help that can be provided.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura Anderson

Re: Students cannot review quizzes after taking them

by John Isner -
What are your quiz settings?
Attachment students_may_review_quiz_results_screenshot.png
In reply to John Isner

by Laura Anderson -

Hello John,

I put the checkmarks onto all the options under review, but am still not getting anything.  Would there be anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks again! smile

by John Isner -
If you checked the box allowing students to see answers after the quiz is closed, then the quiz must be truly be closed. That is, you must have specified a closing date/time, and that time must be in the past.

For example, if you set the quiz to close at 1:00PM on Jan 15, 2007 and it is now 12:40PM on Jan 15, 2007, the quiz is still open and the answers will not be available to a student even if he/she has submitted and finished. The student must wait until after 1:00PM. Otherwise, it present an opportunity for cheating, since other students may still have the quiz open.
In reply to John Isner

by Mary Chambers -

John - We are having a similar problem but I might be able to figure out the answer if I had more complete explanations when I clock on the questions marks in the circles.

My student may review buttons are set to: Immediately after the attempt for all 4 components (answers, responses, etc)  Can the student review more than once (with settings at immediately after the attempt)? 

We will be testing adult learners on the job and they may have to stop their review (immediately after the attempt) and take care of customers - returning 10 minutes or 10 hours later.  What setting do I need to let them do this?

The setting that says Later, while the quiz is still open - how much later - 10 minutes, 10 days (assuming the quiz is till open) and can they do this more than once?

If there is documentation describing this - I haven't been able to find it.

In reply to Mary Chambers

by John Isner -
You ask very good questions.

I'm just guessing, but I think "immediately after the attempt" simply means "after an attempt is completed." It doesn't imply there's a time window for reviewing.

I'm guessing again, but I think "later while the quiz is still open" means after the student has exhausted all attempts (assuming the quiz limits the number of attempts), but before the quiz closes (so other people may still be taking it).

If you read php, you could look at the code.

If the text labels and help buttons are unclear, we should submit a bug report.
In reply to Mary Chambers

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What documentation there is lives on docs.moodle.org. It is not complete, unfortunately. However, it is a wiki, so anyone can help improve it.

For the benefit of developers, I made this diagram:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Quiz_state_diagrams
which may, or may not help you.

'Immediately after the attempt' means within 2 minutes of the student clicking "submit all and finish". (I don't know why, it has been that way for ages.)

'Later, while the quiz is still open' means after that, and before any Quiz closes date. If the quiz does not have a close date, this phase never ends.

'After the quiz is closed' is clear, I think. Just note that you never get here for quizzes without a close date.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Sue O. -

Laura - did you get an answer to this one? We are experiencing the same problem. We are running 1.7

Tim - your diagram is nice. I am still at a loss as to why the students can't review their quiz at all when the settings are correct. Or are there additional settings in 1.7 that need to be set.

In reply to Sue O.

by sean pearson -
We are having the same problem. The check boxes for review immediately, review before the quiz is closed, and review after the quiz is closed are all checked, but students are unable to review at any time except immediately after finishing the quiz.
In reply to sean pearson

by Sue O. -
Thanks for the update.. I must say 1.7 is really starting to be a challenge.

If there is anyone who can point me in a direction to get this working please don't be shy.

thank you

by Sue O. -

ok I was able to get it working.

I upgraded the quiz mod. to 1.7.1

I wouldn't normally do this during a semester but I tested on our test sight and it fixed the problem. Many of our classes use the quiz mod as a self study/check exam and they are required to review their answers.

Hope this helps someone.... I will post any problems this may have caused, if any at all.

Thanks wink

In reply to Sue O.

by Robb Lightfoot -
I searched on the error message I was getting, and I found a couple of fixes to the 1.7 mod. The "view.php" was missing a "NOT" (!) switch. I have this information at home, not here at work, but search for "view.php" or the post that says: Previous efforts don't show up as links.

Also, the "quiz" option on the main menu, which worked for me as a teacher, didn't for the students. It produced an error message. Again, I found a post elsewhere that indicated a "fix" in the coding.

Of course, the 1.7.1 quiz mod may have all this sorted out. I just won't make a major change mid-term. Been there, done that.

I also was having problems with my backups bombing out during the backup of the quizzes.
In reply to Robb Lightfoot

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Backups 1.7.x to 1.7.x+1 should be really safe. Stable branches should be just that - only bug fixes and security patches. And 1.7 has lots of known problems. You would be much better with 1.7.1

However, you are right to be cautious about upgrading mid-term.

The safest thing is to copy your entire Moodle site (that is, the database, code folder and moodledata folder - remember to update config.php when you do). Then try upgrading the copy, and testing it after the upgrade. If that works, you can update the real site with confidence.