Algebra and TeX filter documentation

Algebra and TeX filter documentation

by Don Quixote -
Number of replies: 11

Hi all,

I am currently discussing with the German moodlers to write/translate a documentation in German for the Algebra and the TeX filter. Is anyone of the English speaking moodlers already working on an English document?

If so, it would be easier for me (and other translaters) to just translate that one.

In the other case it might be better to first collect all information and write a kind of a reference document in English and then to translate from this one into German (and any other language).

I think that the discussion in the forum here and the links Zbigniew has posted earlier would be a good starting point for a docu. Ralph also provided me some links.

Any comments?

Greetings

Andreas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Quixote

Does the TeX filter cover the entire mimetex syntax?

by Don Quixote -

Reading forkosh's mimetex manual (http://www.forkosh.com/mimetexmanual.html ), I think we have an English reference manual for the TeX filter. So I just would like to know if the current TeX filter already covers the whole mimetex syntax?

And what about a "TeX filter tutorial course" here at moodle.org? (Martin?) Maybe even with the new multilang capabilities? I could offer English - if nobody shouts "please nooo, don't do that!" - and German.

btw, for me it is still not that clear why I should use the algebra filter instead of the TeX one !?

Andreas

In reply to Don Quixote

Re: Does the TeX filter cover the entire mimetex syntax?

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As the binary is the original one from Forkosh, I am pretty sure that the entire syntax is covered. Zig, correct me if not.

Regardng the tutorial course, I could give a hand for french wink
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Don Quixote -

Great! My French is too poor for that wink

I've just discovered that you live a few dozens of kilometres from my city!

Salutations à Fribourg! Ici, c'est Bienne big grin

In reply to Don Quixote

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Yes, the TeX filter supports all mimetex syntax.  As for whether the mimetex manual is sufficient documentation, that depends on the endusers that you have in mind.  If they have prior experience with TeX, then I expect that the manual would be all they need.  Endusers who haven't used TeX previously would probably find it difficult.

The algebra filter is meant for users who might find TeX to be too complicated to manage (at least initially).  The algebra syntax is similar to the display format used by Texas Instruments graphing calculators which are in widespread use in US secondary schools.

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just a passing thought ... would it make sense (for users) to rename "algebra" to "calculator" format?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Don Quixote -
Yes, I would prefer "calculator format"... What is your opinion, Zbigniew?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Martin,

Where would you like to change the references to "algebra" into references to "calculator"?  In the documentation and the name of the filter script?  Or in the xml tags <algebra> --> <calculator>?  Note that <algebra> is shorter than <calculator>.

Zig

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Really, it was just a off-the-cuff idea ... basically I was thinking about all the places that students would see it, helping to make a connection to their calculators. As I think about it a little more it's probably not such a good idea - it might look like something that does calculations rather than an actual notation ... smile

I don't know - any other opinions?

by Rudy Scott -

How about <calc>?

--Rudy

by Don Quixote -

Then a course with some quizzes would be helpful. If you don't mind I will create it with Nicolas (starting with EN, DE, FR). Maybe someone will want to check the English afterwards...