Moodle 1.6.3 : blank page for post.php

Moodle 1.6.3 : blank page for post.php

by Éric Bugnet -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi all,

I got a problem with my moodle, and it seems that I'm not the only one.
I didn't find solution yet, and perhaps some of you knows what to do...

Nobody can post new thread or new message on my forums.
That was working well since few mounth, and after some people can't post... and now : nobody can post !

I'm on Moodle 1.6.3, debian server, apache 2, php 5 and my sql.

No error shawn when turning debug on.
No error shawn on error.log and apache.log.

Just blank page without error...

Can you help me and others, please ???
Thanks, Eric
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Éric Bugnet

Re: Moodle 1.6.3 : blank page for post.php

by Michael Penney -
Have you checked MySQL for locked tables?

More:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/check-table.html

In reply to Michael Penney

by Éric Bugnet -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi,

I've checked my tables : no error.
Just some warnings like :
  • in many tables : ID souldnt't be a primary key and index
  • in some of them : more than one index in column...
I try to make an update of Apche, Mysql, php... always same problem...
Downgrade php will be my last soluce....

Eric

In reply to Éric Bugnet

by A. T. Wyatt -
We had the same problem, except we were using Moodle 1.6.2 and Moodle 1.6.3 on WIMP (XP, IIS 6, php 5.2, mysql 4.1.20).

We never did figure out what caused it, but rolling back to php 5.1.2 fixed it. No other changes were made except the php version.

It was very frustrating! I did not think to check for locked tables; that is a good idea. But, in our case, the php version seemed to be the only variable at issue.

atw
In reply to Éric Bugnet

by Dominic Mendiola -
We're having the same problem right now...only the single simple discussion forum type is working rest just goes to a blank page when adding a Discussion topic.

I'm using Moodle 1.6.2, OS X Server, Php 5.2.0 and Mysql 4.1.2

any ideas...teachers been wanting to use the forum module.
In reply to Éric Bugnet

by Guido D -
I´m having the same problem. Php 5.2.1, Linux. Moodle 1.6.3
In reply to Éric Bugnet

by Stan Armstrong -

Let me add our site to growing list of those with useless forums.

www.gracecollege.ca.

No new posts are possible. When I attempt one, I get a blank screen just like the rest of you.

I think our specs are comparable to Eric's.

Folks this is a very serious problem!

Help!!!

In reply to Éric Bugnet

by Guido D -
This is caused by some update in PHP 5. We were running an older PHP5 version, and when our hosting updated to 5.2, this broke. I now had to revert our hosting account to PHP4, and (after some fixes due to the slashes in URLs (such as in file.php)) things work again. But something in PHP 5.2 breaks post.php
In reply to Guido D

by Steven Sterba -

I have to agree that the problem lies in PHP version 5.2. Our ISP recently updated their PHP and our forums stopped working. After I commented out the line "AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php" in the .htaccess file, thereby redirecting our site to use an earlier version of PHP (4.4.4) on our ISP's server, our forums started working again. Are there any PHP gurus out there who can figure out what changed in PHP 5.2 that's breaking the Moodle forums?

In reply to Éric Bugnet

by Dominic Mendiola -
I have 2 questions for you guys...do you think this is also specific to 1.6...anyone tried upgrading to a newer one...say 1.7 or 1.8? I also saw that there are newer builds of php...like 5.2.1...anyone tried that too?
In reply to Dominic Mendiola

by Anna Pakkala -
I recently updated our server to use php 5.2.0 and that broke my post.php as well.

It worked fine with 5.1.6. Moodle version is 1.6.1, postgres 7.4, solaris 10

I have not managed to isolate the problem (although I suspect it has to do with guest login and the isguest -function, which seems to be where the action stops completely. I may be completely off though, I have no desire to wade through hundreds and thousands of lines of code trying to understand the inner workings of moodle)

I shall try to rollback the php-installation but it would be great if somebody fixed this smile Apparently upgrading to php 5.2.1 did not help either. How about upgrading moodle?

regards,
Anna
In reply to Dominic Mendiola

by Stan Armstrong -
We upgraded to 1.71+. The problem vanished.
In reply to Stan Armstrong

by Dominic Mendiola -
I was about to post the same thing...but actually I didn't do an actually upgrade on the same server since I was too scared to mess with our live one...I setup a new server with the same config but with 1.71 installed then imported all my course backups...it was painlessly easy...and to my surprise too ...problem gone...nice!