Request: Keyboard shortcuts

Request: Keyboard shortcuts

by David Clark -
Number of replies: 5
Are there plans to bring keyboard shortcuts into moodle for professors to reduce mouse use?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Clark

Re: Request: Keyboard shortcuts

by Jeff Forssell -
I too would like Taborder, accesskeys or some JavaScript keyboard shortcuts to be worked in to Moodle at least as an option.

In the meantime, there are some good Firefox extensions that can be helpful: NextPlease, Hit-A-Hint (that one may not exist well with some other extensions). I believe there are several more that I haven't tried. Any one else had experience with them?
In reply to David Clark

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The main problem is choosing the keys to avoid conflict in different browsers ... that said, your browser does provide a lot of keys already for doing things, and in 1.8 we've done a lot of work on improving the forms with taborders etc.
In reply to David Clark

by Sarah Barber -

If anyone is interested, I found out a lot of the keyboard shortcuts for the text/HTML editor in Moodle by trial and error. General navigation around Moodle by keyboard alone is pretty difficult though. List of shortcuts is attached

In reply to Sarah Barber

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Nice try, Sarah.
However, your "trial and error" effort was not needed, since there is a Help with Editor shortcut keys icon readily available at the bottom left of the HTML editor window.wink
Joseph
Attachment image01.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I have done some trials like Sarah too and as Martin said there are some conflicts and all defined shortcuts do not always work (not even all of those mentioned in this list) with all browsers. There might be some kind of standard keyboard shortcuts but I haven't seen such strandards. Attached some common settings found elsewhere for most browsers, editors and programs.

In theory it is possible to define any keyboard shortcuts for different editors.

Thank you for your list Sarah!