Privacy - Student First and Last Name

Privacy - Student First and Last Name

by Alan Cherwinski -
Number of replies: 3
For privacy and confidentiality reasons we use an untraceable user names
e.g. Jane234.

Our learners are dealing with literacy and other issues and don't necessarily want their full names shared across the system. We are authenticating/registering against an external database that contains the first and last name.

Is there anyway of hiding the first and last name from other learners? This would be a site wide setting. Thank you for any help you can provide. I searched the forums but could see no similar previous question.

Alan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Cherwinski

Re: Privacy - Student First and Last Name

by Art Lader -
Hi, Alan,

If you look in config.php, you will see a variable that will make everyone Jane Doe or Joe Blow to visitors to the site, but not to teachers or admins. At least it was there in 16x.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Alan Cherwinski -
Hi Art, I guess my first question was not clear. All my user names are unique. I think what I want to know is if I can change the config.php so that the
"fullnameddisplay" can use the user name value- which will be unique but not personal - rather than a combination of first and last.

fullnamedisplay: Language First name + Surname Surname + First name First name

Thank you very much for your help.

Alan
In reply to Alan Cherwinski

by Gary Anderson -
So that I can demo Moodle to parents, guests, etc. and not reveal personal information, I have changed the fullnamedisplay == 'firstname' (which is set under configuration) to instead display the word User and their id number, like Student 784. You could either use this, or modify the code to display your usernames.

From the function fullname in moodlelib.php, right after the global line, add:

if ($CFG->fullnamedisplay == 'firstname') return 'User '.$user->id; //GVA Hack for demos

Because this call is not used in the gradebook, you will also need togchange in grade/lib.php, around line 260 the lines:

$grades_by_student["$userid"]['student_data']['firstname'] = $student->firstname;
$grades_by_student["$userid"]['student_data']['lastname'] = $student->lastname;

to:

$grades_by_student["$userid"]['student_data']['firstname'] = $student->firstname;
if ($CFG->fullnamedisplay == 'firstname') $grades_by_student["$userid"]['student_data']['firstname'] = $student->id; //GVA Hack for demos
$grades_by_student["$userid"]['student_data']['lastname'] = $student->lastname;
if ($CFG->fullnamedisplay == 'firstname') $grades_by_student["$userid"]['student_data']['lastname'] = 'Student'; //GVA Hack for demos

Average of ratings: Useful (1)