HTML Editor not shown

HTML Editor not shown

by Ritchie W. -
Number of replies: 29

Never...somehow it just happened, using 1.7+ and it was there before, but now, gone...every setting I checked, every topic I read. Changing themes didnt work, so im frustrated...

Any more ideas how to get it back? (The full editor, now i only got a textarea/box)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ritchie W.

Re: HTML Editor not shown

by Art Lader -
Hi, Ritchie,

Don't know if this will help, but Tim had a similar problem and solved it by chaging themes - http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=59511

Might want to give it a try.

Hope it works for you!

Regards,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Ritchie W. -
Hi Art,

As stated in my startpost, changing themes also didnt work sad I had already seen that post. Thanks.
In reply to Ritchie W.

by Ritchie W. -
Sigh, i really need to get this working, i'm in the middle of putting together a test and i need my html formatting. To do this manually will take too long.
All I got now is a textbox, nothing else, no buttons, no dropdowns.

In reply to Ritchie W.

by Bo Sjöholm -
I'm in the same boat.
It's enabled under Site Administration | Apperance | HTMl Editor

But when editing in courses it says "Site admin has dactivated RichTextEditor"
(not sure about exakt frase 'cause running in swedish)

In reply to Bo Sjöholm

by N Hansen -
Mine doesn't say it has been deactivated. In fact, the link "About the HTML editor" is there. It's just not loading the editor itself.
In reply to Ritchie W.

by Jeff Forssell -
I've also run into that. Very frustrating. (Right now it seems OK. Though I don't know why. "peppar pepper" {knock on wood})

A possibility if you don't get it going could be to install Xinha Here in Firefox which gives one a similar possibility in any text field.
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Bo Sjöholm -
Today I got the issue solved!
The problem was in the swedish language pack.
I dont know what caused the problem but first
I noticed that I didn't have I problem when having
english as language.
I installed todays 1.7+ and removed the old
lang packs and installed new ones.
Both the finnish and swedish lang pack had the same
bug. But now both are ok.
In reply to Bo Sjöholm

by Starr Eaddy -

Dear Bo,

I have the same problem and I tried your solution but no luck.  I recently installed language packs and I dumped them as you suggested. I also tried changing themes -no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Starr

In reply to Starr Eaddy

Re: HTML Editor not showning

by Anil Sharma -
I'm facing the same problem in Moodle 1.8 now. However, the HTML editor appears in Firefox, and not in IE. It was appearing in IE till some time ago, then suddenly it vanished. Any idea whats happening ?
In reply to Anil Sharma

by Matthias Fitzner -

I have exactly the same problem, but in reverse the editor is showing in IE, but neither in firefox nor in opera. And this has happened basically over night, because some days back I was just editing some content in opera using the editor. This really giving me headake, not so much for me since I know how to deal with html, but for members and contributors who don´t know. I am using Moodle 1.7.1

Any help would be appreciated!

In reply to Anil Sharma

by Ruzana Razali -

Hi Anil,

Did you get to solve this problem in the end?
I am facing the same problem.

Let me know. Thanks!

Cheers.

In reply to Ritchie W.

by steve donadson -
I have the very same problem, a teacher reported that when she logged in today the HTML editor was gone.. I have also checked everything and it seems ok. I thought I'd just move from 1.6 to 1.8, after making backups, but alas the problem followed me. I am going to try the language packs and themes as stated below.

A pain indeed!

In reply to steve donadson

by Alistair McQuade -
I have the same problem - no wysiwyg editor to be seen. I'm using 1.6.2 This problem seems quite widespread. Any help appreciated.

Al
In reply to Alistair McQuade

by Alistair McQuade -
A trawl of the forums and the bug tracker gives these remedies, sadly they do not work for me but I thought it would be good to have a summary:

1. replaced htmlarea.php

http://moodle.org/file.php/5/moddata/forum/224/120069/htmlarea.php

2. changed languages

3. Editor on in Admin/Editor and Profile (disabled/reenabled a few times)

4. Removed lines/spaces in config.php and other files listed:

https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/configcheck.php

5. Cleared cache many times before and after each step, rebooted, etc.

6. Tested in IE6 and Firefox

7. Changed to several themes

8. Refreshed the page while holding CTRL. (F5+CTRL)

by Alistair McQuade -
Just to be clear, my issue is that the html editor is missing and I want a way for students and teachers to be able to write html in WYSIWYG mode. This is not about editing moodle html and php files, I use dreamweaver for that.

So I upgraded to 1.72+ and the missing html editor tool bar was still absent without leave. I tried to get TinyMCE working on 1.6 and 1.7 and managed to do neither. I found lots of people asking about how to enable TinyMCE but I have been unable to find any guidance. I would like to know how to do that - it seems like a good fix.

So I investigated external html editors and looked at 3: 1) vim, 2) nvu and 3) Xinha Here! I am now using Xinha Here! on my site for teachers and students to edit text areas in courses and forums. I think it is a great tool. Here's a good thread to read about it. Downside is it is only for firefox users.

Vim was not WYSIWYG. My issue is to simplify education building for non techies, so I left this alone.

NVU also seems good but I can not get it working on my site without a hack, which is again, not in line with making things easy for users. That being said, it it does work on www.moodle.org text areas without the hack and XInha Here! does not. How wierd is that?. So use of the external editor must be dependant upon your moodle version and/or site settings. I'd be interested to know if someone finds out the variables on that one.

smile

Al

by Lars Geldner -
Dear all,

at my installation, the editor is not shown when using the German language pack. The "solution" was just to replace lang/de_utf8/editor.php with the English one.

Regards,

Lars Geldner

by Jeff Forssell -
Your list there was a big help! I was going nuts. Noticed when reading your list that I hadn't checked the possibility that it was turned off in my profile. It was. I'm not sure exactly how that happened, because I hadn't done it right in connection with suddenly not assessing the HTML editor.
I know that I had tested turning the editor off after reading a tip about how to open a page containing a JavaScript for minor editing without destroying a functioning JS. But that was several weeks ago. A wild guess: Maybe I had imported some course with user info from the server where I had tried that and it changed my state on the one where I was working. Thanks anyhow!
This happened of course while adjusting, the night before, a workshop course where I hoped to have newbies see how easy it is to work in Moodle!angry The error was still there in the morning. So I quickly set up a new Moodle site (3 minutes with Fantastico) and imported the course (5 minutes more) and tested thoughtful, then dried the sweat off my brow cool. In hindsight I see that it would probably have worked fine for them!
In reply to Ritchie W.

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Paolo Porcaro in the thread
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=70130
provided the solution I was looking for.
Maybe this is the solution for you too.

What Paolo wrote in italian is:
Did you try:
1) into Site Administration > Appearance > Editor HTML to check the settings

AND

2) into your own profile, by pushing "Show advanced", to set "When editing text" to "Use HTML editor (some browsers only)?

Ciao.
Thank you again, Paolo.
In reply to Ritchie W.

by Yuriy Kotsyuk -
I had the same problem.
It was mistake in editor.php translation. Some one had used double quotes inside string variable.
In my case I had en original string:

You are in TEXT MODE. Use the [<>] button to go back to WYSIWYG MODE.

and translation:

Ви у тестовому форматі. Використайте [<>] кнопку, щоб повернутися до формату Що бачиш на екрані, те й отримаєш на папері.

I just fix it like this:

Ви у тестовому форматі. Використайте [<>] кнопку, щоб повернутися до формату &ldquo;Що бачиш на екрані, те й отримаєш на папері&rdquo;.

So, in my case problem was with translation.
PS: I use red color to show mistake and blue to show how it was fixed.
PSS: In other way U can just delete double quotes
In reply to Yuriy Kotsyuk

by Yuriy Kotsyuk -
U can also chek your current language pack. Just choose your language in language menu of this site and try to check if u can see HTML Panel in yours posts. If u can - just update your local language pack, if not - that mean Moodle.org also use not correct translation for edit.php
I did these corrections for versions 1.6.2+ and for version 1.8.2+
In reply to Yuriy Kotsyuk

by N Hansen -
This doesn't seem to be the source of the problem for me.
In reply to N Hansen

by Jeeradate Kaowkanchana -
It happen to me that all editor buttons don't show up.
It happen when the connection speed is low.
The problem solve by press CTRL+F5
Let try
Good luck
Jeeradate K.
In reply to Jeeradate Kaowkanchana

by R B -
Thank you, Al!  The CTRL + F5 works for us!  smile
In reply to Ritchie W.

by Paul Taylor -
Removing the spell checker seems to work on Linux servers.
In reply to Paul Taylor

by N Hansen -
How did you remove the spell checker?
In reply to N Hansen

by Paul Taylor -
On 1.8 it is under Administration > Server > System Paths. Just remove the line for aspell. That certainly fixed it on one site.
In reply to Paul Taylor

by N Hansen -
I found it in the database and removed it from there and it fixed the problem! Thanks. I'm thinking now it stopped working because my host must have (re)moved Aspell. But since they also upgraded PHP at the same time I was convinced it had something to do with that instead.