Shortanswer-Box vs Correct Answer

Shortanswer-Box vs Correct Answer

by Schäfer Joachim -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

when I use QUIZ and Shortanswer, there is - in my opion - a problem for the pupil:

When he gets the results, the results are green-lighted, however, the own version is in the very small box, and he/she can't easily compare the correct with the wrong version.

Question: Is it possible to enlarge the box to a certain amount, lets say up to 15 or 20 letters.

By the way, this refers also to other boxes in the quiz-area.

Regards

Joachim (Bonn, Germany)

Attachment selbst_05_M_rz_04.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Schäfer Joachim

Re: Shortanswer-Box vs Correct Answer

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Yes, no problem, lots of Moodlers do it (something to change in the standard-Moodle Martin knipoog)

In mod\quiz\lib.php look for line 584 (in version 1.2$$\beta$$ or search for shortanswer in the file and look for theis line) and change the value 20 to e.g. 100 ()

echo "<p align=\"right\">$stranswer: <input type=\"text\" name=\"q$realquestion->id\" size=\"100\" $value /></p>";

In reply to koen roggemans

by Schäfer Joachim -

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. It sounds pretty good, and I'll pass it to my colleague and report later.

Regards

Joachim

In reply to koen roggemans

by Karrie V -

This is GREAT! Thank you!!!

I am wondering if I can make a "scrolling box" so I can have kids put a short paragraph in this section.

Thanks again!

In reply to Karrie V

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, but the problem is that the shortanswer question type will still be grading the answer by comparing the answer to a known solution.  Obviously this is impossible to do with a long answer. That's why there are plans for a proper long answer question type some time.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I understand you completely, Martin. I did the hack for a collegue of mine that I couldn't convince to be VERRY carefull with this questiontype, makinng longer answers. I should check if it is even necessary on my site to do the change (altough 20 characters is verry short)

correction: I 've just seen you enlarging it to 50 chars in CVS. Looks fine to me