I was told it was easy!!!

I was told it was easy!!!

by Alicia Salazar -
Number of replies: 16

I have tried to follow the steps for installing moodle and can't get pass getting the tortoise screen which doesn't offer anything!

Martin, you said: don't panic! but I am exhausted and frustrated!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alicia Salazar

Re: I was told it was easy!!!

by Tony Hursh -
The "tortoise screen"?

Can you describe exactly what you're seeing?

Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Which package are you trying to install? Are you installing just Moodle, or are you using one of the bundled packages that includes Apache, PHP, and MySQL?

If you post more details someone will be glad to help you out. smile

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Alicia Salazar -

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I was just trying to install Moodle following the instructions for Microsoft users. I have given up for the moment.

Regards

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You gave up? All in one day?? That's bad ;-(

If you need space for a trial period, say 6 Months, and the number of students are limited, say 25, I can setup one free of charge. The server is in Germany.

In exchange I'll attend your Spanish class! Just kidding. I gave up Spanish years ago, sorry.

Now seiously, if you are interested send me the details like,
- do you plan or already have a own domain http://www.yourschool.vz/moodle ? or something like http://www.mycompany.ch/yourschool is OK?

- or a single course like http://www.mycompany.ch/moodle/courseid=25 is enough?

- where did you create courses so far? On which version of Moodle?

etc. _directly_.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Alicia Salazar -

Thanks for replying. Ido not have a domain. How do a create one?

I teach at a college of Further Education, Edinburgh'e Telford College and I am looking for ways to enhance my classes and get my students engaged in the subject. Someone told me about Moodle, I have received fantastic feedback about its capabilities and I wanted to experiment with one of my classes and see what happens, compare it with the ones delivered in other modes. What do you know? we could write a paper together!

I appreciate your offer to help (in exchange for Spanish classes (I might use Moodle to design an on-line course!!!). How do we go about it?

What can we do?

If you are still developing a course, one or two courses on my plattform should be sufficient.

I can create them and send you the login information _directly_.
Either make your e-mail visible or write to me (my e-mail is visible, just click on my name at the top of this message).

I also left a message in your "message box". On the course homepage http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=5 top left you'll see a box "Messages". Click on the active message.

by bill hamilton -

Visvanath,

I had the same frustration as Alicia, when trying to install Moodle on my remote webhost server, but fortunately, they have fantastico, and I finally just let it install for me.  It loaded it onto my main page, when what I wanted was a link from my main page TO the moodle site, but I can live with that.

My question is: if I were to upload another moodle installation, can I just install it under the subdomain I created, and it will operate separately from my present installation, with no problems?

Thanks.

bill

In reply to bill hamilton

by Randy Obert -
Only if you use an identical naming convention, otherwise you need to modify paths in the config file
In reply to Randy Obert

by bill hamilton -
Oops!  Thank you for the quick response, but I don't know which question you answered; the one about using my machine as a server, or the one about uploading into a subdomain on my site?

by Randy Obert -
I actually mis-read the post (my bad)

My question is: if I were to upload another moodle installation, can I just install it under the subdomain I created, and it will operate separately from my present installation, with no problems?

Yes you can have 2 installs that will not interfere with each other. 

I thought I read you wanted to move the install to another server.  That will work as long as naming conventions are identical. Otherwise it requires some hand edits of the config files to modify the paths.

by John Isner -
Hi Bill,
As to your question

"if I were to upload another moodle installation, can I just install it under the subdomain I created, and it will operate separately from my present installation, with no problems?"

I recommend watching the following tutorial video

Installing a Second (or 3rd or 4th...) Instance of Moodle through Cpanel

To watch the video, you'll need to create an account on the site (it's a moodle site, so this should be familiar), but it's free. The site has several other tutorial videos that I have found helpful.

Hi Bill

Yes, you can have ten instances of Moodle on one server each displaying a differend domain - and much more. But the difference is, I've the luxary of my own (physical) server and the full power of Unix(Linux) command line at my disposal. I have no idea of Cpanel.

I hope the others were able to answer your question.

by Randy Obert -
Moodle and Fantastico will install multiple instances on the same domain (different root folders is all) You could also use a seperate folder for a different domain if needed.

by Manish Verma -
Alicia, Visvanath has a great offer for you but if you are just trying to install Moodle in windows then http://download.moodle.org/download.php/windows/MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-17.zip is a quick option. The link that I have mentioned is for 1.7+ version. If you are looking for all versions available, you may visit http://download.moodle.org and look for windows logo. I have done several such installations and after download it is a matter of minutes. You just need to read a text file after unzipping that tells you how to proceed. It is an all-in-one package.
In reply to Manish Verma

by bill hamilton -

Manish,

I tried that, and was unsuccessful in my attempt; I hope you can answer a question or two for me about it.  I would like to install, using the win install pkg. you mention, on my remote webhost server.  I believe I was correct in unpacking the zip file into a folder on my own machine, but I'm not sure where to put the files on my host server, or whether I must upload them one at a time or as a folder.  I tried uploading the wininstall zip file, but could not unzip it in my cpanel. I think I'm just one step from being successful, but I can't seem to get that step!

I also wanted to install on my hard drive, so I can experiment with things without killing the instance of moodle that my students are presently using.  How would I go about that; also, is it possible to use my laptop as a server?

Look forward to hearing from you.

bill

by Heather P -
For testing purposes I installed Moodle on my laptop. Because I only intended me using it I left the domain as local host, but it does give you the opportunity to see how all the pieces fit together. It also lets you try out every feature without disturbing people.
I have Windows XP Professional but chose to put Apache on not IIS. I did a manual install of the PHP and apache. Put on Moodle and it works a treat.

If you wanted to use your laptop for other people to access too then you would need to get your domain sorted out.
Regards
Heather