Messaging: How can I see student messages?

Messaging: How can I see student messages?

by Paul Platts -
Number of replies: 18
Is it possible for me as the admin to see what the students are messaging to each other?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Platts

Re: Messaging: How can I see student messages?

by Art Lader -
Hi, Paul,

When I go into the database with phpmyadmin and browse the message table, I see this:

Maybe that will help a bit.

I suspect that someone else can give you a more convenient way to do this, though. Anyone?

Regards,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Julian Ridden -

I would really like to see this looked at as part of the messaging redesign.

Browsing the database is painfull as all it displays is user id's. Thgis makes matching up users to posts extremely time consuming.

Browsing for keywords is also hard as much cyber bullying is more about context than keywords. Words I search for may not even show up.

My idea was to have a Messaging report added to the 'reports' function within moodle. This would allow for easier access to this needed information. Especialy when dealing with children, this tool needs to be monitored easily.

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Rick Barnes -
I agree, more messaging control and better access to messsages is essential for our school (11 to 16 year olds)
Being able to monitor them and prove to them that you are doing this is teh bigest way I have found to prevent them abusing the system, but it is tedious looking through all of the logs for messages and then chcecking each one. As you say it is the way that they say things not just key words that we are looking for.
The old messsage hack that I used in 1.5 was an excellent addition to provide sanctions for htose that abused the system hopefully roles will be expanded to cover messaging so that we can set up users that have restricted messaging or even no messaging.

Rick.
In reply to Rick Barnes

by John Patten -

I would like to see something like this too. Currently we have uploaded all our student accounts in bulk. This allows us to use a single email address. The email address is on one the free mail services. Within that free email account we filter the messages and forum posts for inappapropriate language and drop any into a unique folder. This catches some of the misuse issues, and established the understanding that we are monitoring how the message and forum systems are being used by students smile

It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to create a check on any information posted to a forum or in a message that filters for certian vocabulary. If it finds any it could send a copy via email to a Moodle administrator.  I wonder if this ability could be added to the current languange filter?

In reply to John Patten

by Muhammad Ajmal -

Yes, we would like to see have something like this too. currently students are using the messaging system which is very attractive facility by Moodle. but as a admin we can not track all the messages. Not even a user can see the messages history without remembering the name of the person or keyword. We should have someting like inbox which should display all the messages which has been delivered and recieved by a single user and then admin should see all of them as well. If this functionality will be added in the new version will be very valuable for us.

In reply to Muhammad Ajmal

by Jane Nkuna -
We are experiencing the same problem in our organisation. How do we track all messages sent to a facilitator besides using the keyword and the name of the sender? We have tried this option and not all messages are displayed. Does this mean after a while you loose messages sent to you? I like the idea of an inbox, any chance of this functionality being added?
In reply to Jane Nkuna

by Mike Worth -
Have a look at Message Log Report

The messages going missing is probably due to the fact that after a message is read, it is moved from the messages table to the messages_read table

Mike
In reply to Paul Platts

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm not sure which version of Moodle you are speaking of. I have been using 1.6.3+ for production. As an admin, you can search all of the messages for a particular keyword and then pull up and see the context of any message with that keyword in it. This is done through the messaging search. I find it easier than trying to look at the database directly. Alternatively you login as a student and use the contact list to get an idea of whom they are sending messages too.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Beth Phillips -
Ok, I'm a newbie .... can you view the database tables through the Moodle interface as a teacher, or do you need administrative access to the database files to use myphpadmin to view the tables and their contents? Beth.
In reply to Beth Phillips

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Beth!

In general, getting access to phpmyadmin requires access to the server. This is independent of Moodle access. It also has to be installed (not necessarily a given). You might need to talk to your IT folks about this.

Can you log in to the server directly and see the file structure of moodle? Do you know the username and password for the moodle database? If not, you will probably need more information and more rights.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Beth Phillips -
That's what I thought!... I'm not associated with the I.T. Department, so I can forget that!  I am limited to viewing things through the Moodle application.  Beth.
In reply to Beth Phillips

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
For anyone who is knowledgeable in phpMyAdmin for viewing a mysql database, here is a workaround if you are not admin on your Moodle site.
  1. Install a local moodle site (complete with Apache server, mysql database, etc.) on your personal computer.
  2. On the remote Moodle site of your institution, do a complete backup of your course(s) (including logs, etc.) and save the download file(s) to your computer.
  3. On your local Moodle site, restore your complete course(s).
  4. Since you have full admin rights to your own local Moodle installation, you can view the whole database, using phpMyAdmin.
Hope that helps,
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jet Batung Bakal -

Hi Mr. Joseph,

Using that PHPAdmin is that a kind of hacking in a moodle site. For instance you are the student you can able to manupulate the system were the student belong and can able to get access as admin? Is that  the function of PHPADMIN?

Julius Barrameda

In reply to Jet Batung Bakal

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Julius - PHPMyAdmin or PHPpgAdmin would be tools used by system administrators to work with the database underlying and storing much of the information for a Moodle site. It would not be something that a site administrator would want students to use. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Paul Platts

by Jessica Brogley -

I am one of three teachers in our district using Moodle, so we are piloting all of these issues now. I begged for an administrative password and they did give it to me. I think I must email them too often. Having that password allowed me to read the messages, if I wanted.

Here's one problem that I've had - I KNOW some kids are messaging...and so to test the feature, I went to check...and it didn't log the message. If a kid starts typing the message, but then X's out of Moodle and not the message pop up, would that message be logged then? I think some of the kids found a loop hole without realizing it. Is this true?

In reply to Paul Platts

by Lael ... -

Is there any easy way to do this yet? (view report of all messages sent / received by students in a course / by everyone)

Lael

In reply to Lael ...

by Mike Worth -
If you've got access to a command line on the database and it's mysql (might work on others, I have no idea) issueing the following command will give you a list of messages with the sender, recipient, time and message with all the right details matched up:

select
from_unixtime(timecreated) as time,
concat(sender.firstname,' ',sender.lastname) as sender,
concat(recipient.firstname,' ',recipient.lastname) as recipient,
mdl_message.message

from
mdl_message left join mdl_user as sender on mdl_message.useridfrom=sender.id
left join mdl_user as recipient on mdl_message.useridto=recipient.id

\G

You will get output similar to this:
*************************** 20. row ***************************
time: 2008-09-15 11:35:12
sender: Mike Worth
recipient: David PHILLIPS
message: I've fixed you account<br /><br />any more problems let me know,<br />Mike<br />

(html tags will display as tags, but you should be able to understand the gist of all the messages)

Mike