Windows server: Help with windows server setup.

Windows server: Help with windows server setup.

by Edward Gash -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all.  I have just started using Moodle and have developed courses with 1.6 and 1.7 on my laptop running Windows 98 - I used the xampp installation which automatically installed PHP and MySQL.

The time has come for me to present these courses to our school students and begin presenting moodle to our teachers.  We are looking to buy a computer to use as a server and install moodle.  We have an IP address assigned, but are unsure what is the best way to proceed.  We have about 460 students, but would predict that initially we'll have no more then 50 students accessing the site at any time.

Would anyone have any advice on what 'size' server I should look for?  Would XP, apache and the xampp installation be sufficent to cater for our students.  Should I look to use some other software?  We hope to use the computer as a mail server as well.  Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Edward 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edward Gash

Re: Windows server: Help with windows server setup.

by Jay Lee -
Well Windows 98 makes a poor server OS that's for sure. XP should do okay though with a little bit of tweaking and using Apache/PHP/MySQL, although it will never perform as well as Linux. If you or anyone else has any Linux experience, or are at least eager to learn, that would be my recommended platform.

When you buy a computer get plenty of RAM (at least 2gb, possibly 4gb), SCSI hard disks in a RAID array with a hardware RAID controller and fast processors. XP Pro can use 2 physical processors while Home can use 1, both of them consider multicore/hyperthreading as 1 CPU so XP Pro should run w/o issue on a Dual Processor Xeon with 2 cores/chip and hyperthreading enabled, it will see 8 logical processors which should benefit Moodle performance considerably.