Roles and 1.7

Roles and 1.7

by Ian Scott -
Number of replies: 8

Roles function in 1.7 is excellent. My issue is that the legacy role (Teacher) is the one that appears under a course. If I want a course to have a teacher renamed as say editor I can do this accross the board and all is fine, but what if on one of the courses I want the teacher role to be named Committee Member? The way you do this is create a new role, give it the same rights as teacher BUT these 'teachers' no longer appear on the course listing.

How do I (if I can) give the new role the ability to appear on a course listing as a 'teacher'?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Scott

Re: Roles and 1.7

by Just H -
Hi Ian

Haven't got around to upgrading 1.7 yet but can't you just change it in the course set up as you can in 1.5 and 1.6? i.e. the "Your word for Teacher:" field.

In reply to Just H

by Ian Scott -

Yes you can but only globally - if teacher becomes say 'helper' - it's the same for all courses. If you want the teacher functionality in a course and not call it 'helper' then you must create a new role with the same attributes eg i'nstructor' - now 'instructor' has all the rights as the original teacher BUT they don't appear on the main description.

I think there needs to be another tick box - appear as a teachers or something like that.

In reply to Ian Scott

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The teachers list on the course listing is currently composed of all the people who have the capability to update the course settings for that course:

moodle/course:update

excluding people who have been granted the capability "moodle/site:doanything" at site level (ie site admins).

A new setting to choose the roles that appear in the course descriptions is a good idea - should be 1.8.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ian Scott -

I would have thought inheritance would have covered this but I followed your advice and explicitly gave my new group moodle/course:update setting and works well. I noted another interesting thing – if a person has enrolled themselves as a student in a course and they are also listed as a teacher (remembering I’m using the new role name hear) the name for the student overrides the new teacher name. If I unenroll them from being a student – the correct name appears – this is no biggy but there is obvious a hieratical order which is a legacy issue?

Just discovered another problem - when you are down as this new teacher role the course to which you are assigned doesn't appear on 'my course' list - what has to be ticked for that to work? Even though you are editor when you go to the course you are asked do you want to enroll!

In reply to Ian Scott

by Bob Allen -
Previously 1.62 teachers have the courses that they own in my courses but since upgrading this no longer shows even though they are teachers for that course.
The only way I have found to solve this issue is to make them students for the course as well.
However this problem does not occur if you create a new course - ie a new course with one teacher - the course will then show in my courses
In reply to Ian Scott

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Not sure if this is a cause in your case, but note that role changes only take affect after the next login from that user.

As for "the name for the student overrides the new teacher name" I'm not sure where you are looking to see this.

If you've found real bugs, I'd really appreciate it if you can put them in the Moodle Tracker with a detailed step-by-step description of how to reproduce the problem on the latest 1.7+.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Daniel Auger -

I agree, this should be fixed in 1.8. Having all staff appear as teachers of all courses is not productive (I have 100 staff ), most teach 2 or 3 courses. No need to have everyone in every course description, just the teacher assigned to teach that course need to appear there. Administrators do not appear in the course description, but course creators do? (I am running 1.7.1 on ApacheTriad)Why is that? If admins do not appear why do Course Creators? Again should only be the teachers teaching a course in the course description.

Daniel

In reply to Ian Scott

by Just H -
Strange, not the way it works in 1.5+ or 1.6+ looks like I may get a few surprises when I upgrade!